The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Excellent idea from MassageLady--I'd sure take her up on it, and then move my horse ASAP.

If you were near Lansing MI, I would have a couple of ideas what barn this was. Sad, but you're not alone.

I too would be more than happy to pick up a phone and call the owner.

Keep in mind though, you may not want to post many details so you don't end up with a bigger mess.
    A good horseman doesn't have to tell anyone...the horse already knows.

Might be a reason, never an excuse...

I found a tiny sort of rickety place private place off of Craigs List. Is it my dream barn? Nope. But it is so close to my house and cheap I can do self care in a flash. (less than 10 miles) So scour CL for an interim solution. My barn owner would never think to advertize, but in a freebie like CL. Shes a nice lady who keeps her facility in decent but not excellent care, and is priced accordingly.

I think you know you've way overstayed at this terrible barn. Make it a priority to find a place to move to this week - even if it's a longer drive, even if it's temporary, even if you have to scrounge up the money. Just get somewhere else immediately, then you can take your time to look for something more suitable/closer/cheaper.

And take up the offers of people on this board to tip off the owner of the bitten horse. He could die from an infection. This is beyond switching feed - not something you can turn away from and pretend you don't know about.

Good luck - it sounds like an awful place!

WOW is all I can say....

Why did you let her lure you into doing all these dishonest things behind the other horse owners back?
    I would have just walked the other way and say I didn't want to get involved.

Has the horse owner shown up yet? I agree, I'd call her, mail her, whatever it takes to let her know what is going on.

Your BO sounds like a total A-Hole, and I would have been gone after the first week I arrived.

If you really dig, check tack stores, on-line ads, there are probably a lot more boarding places out there than you realize.

Good luck and get your horse out of there ASAP..
    MnToBe Twinkle Star: "Twinkie"
    http://i236.photobucket.com/albums/f...wo/009_17A.jpg

Proud member of the "Don't rush to kill wildlife" clique!

Take Massage Lady up on her offer. That poor horse's owner needs to know....yesterday. Find something and move. Can you post a general location?

Quote Originally Posted by MSL View Post
    DressageGeek I don't think I have any liability in this situation, beyond the moral kind.
    Put the shoe on the other foot. How would you feel if your horse got hurt, another boarder knew of the situation/circumstances, and they didn't notify you? That would suck. Really.

Tell the owner, even if anonymously. At least tell her she needs to go to the barn to see her horse ASAP, and have the vet's phone number with her.

And where are you? $400/mo can pay for a decent, safe facility in a lot of places.

Hate to do it, but could you call animal control on the dog? Call the horse's owner, yes, but also call the county or city animal control and tell them the dog is chasing livestock.

Quote Originally Posted by MSL View Post
    There are rats all over the place, eating and pooping in the uncovered feed (my horse has separate feed in a metal bin, the only one). The bo repeatedly runs out of hay, shavings, and grain because she can't be bothered to plan ahead, or to pay one cent more than what she has to to make sure there's a small surplus between deliveries....The fences are never maintained, she won't take action until horses actually get loose. I take care of my own pasture, even buying my own supplies and scrounging old pieces of wood to make it safe for my horse.
    First of all, CALL THE OWNER of that poor horse! Tell her that the BO told you not to tell her or she would kick you out so will she please not mention it. But surely you can't get in trouble if the owner just shows up out there (unless she's an absentee owner) and asks the BO what the hell is wrong with her horse?

Second of all, GET OUT OF THERE.....I've bolded part of your post. That was my last barn to the letter. I bought hay multiple times for my horse because the BO just couldn't be bothered to get it delivered on an overlapping schedule. Same with shavings...same with feed. Once they even bought the cheapest thing they could find at tractor supply that was a cattle/goat labeled feed!!!!! Horses broke fence boards constantly and they would make a crappy patch with a few nails that would be broken in two days. The arena fence is the vinyl tape and all the posts were barely set in the ground. Just get out.....I can't believe I waited so long to do it myself, but your horse will thank you.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    "There is just as much horse sense as ever, but the horses have most of it"

Please please please call the owner of the horse and get out ASAP!!! what if you were the one who owned the horse...and no one told you? i would be pissed!! there are plenty of barns out there that would be thankful to have you in their barn...even if for a brief time while looking for another place!! oh and keep us updated!!
    "If you are nervous you arent focused-if you are focused, there is no room for nerves!"

Sorry, but I don't have much respect for you in this situation-- if it was your horse you would want to know exactly what happened to your horse. Grow some and call up the horse owner and tell her everything. While it may not appear to be a major injury, you never know what is going in internally and you don't know what will happen next time with that dog. I couldn't sleep at night knowing what happened to that horse and knowing its poor owner is clueless and being lied to by the BO.

Then get your horse out of there. So what if you move somewhere for even a month that isn't an ideal situation-- crazy barn owners are far from ideal. Just get your horse out of there and then start the process to find a more perment spot. Ask around-- there are so many private facilities out there that will take on boarders. I understand the lack of money. Look at barns that aren't your style of riding for the short term. Ask around at the feed store for people who have horses and may have an extra stall/field for your guy. I've unfortuantely been in a situation where I had to get my horse out ASAP as I feared for his safety from the unstable barn owner so I know it is not an easy feat, but it can be done.

Understand the money issue, but did you ever think the horse in question's owner also might? If I was alerted to such a situation about my horse by a fellow boarder and then boarder was subsequently thrown out and I knew she was in your kind of situation, I would be more than grateful and willing to help her out.

Also, I would assume you have a signed boarding contract. If BO is going to throw you out like that, more than likely she will have broken the contract and owe you money. Yes, I know it can be sticky getting people to pay money in situations like that (above situation I mention also involved crazy BO owing me money), but it can be accomplished.

You might also find a BO willing to help you out of this situation if you tell them the story and the predicament you are in with board money for the month. Sometimes people can surprise you with their generosity, just as people can surprise you with their horrendous behavior, like your current BO.

Reality of things or not, you're making a bad call. I can't believe for a second if the situation was turned and yours was the horse bitten that you would be ok with someone knowing and saying 'oh well I was watching it but didn't want to tell you for xx reason'. If you came here for sympathy on this one, you came to the wrong place. I don't think there's a soul on the board who would do what you are in this situation, whether it's eating at you or not. People have offered help and suggestions and you keep justifying why you are right in saying nothing. Again, wrong audience for that. I hope it's not your horse that gets bitten next.

<shaking head>

Sorry, but you're completely copping out. You must really, really hate both the poor bitten horse & its owner.

I've had to emergency move a few times and it can ALWAYS be done. Have you posted board wanted on pets AND farm section of craigslist? Fliers at the feed store? Fliers at the grocery store? ThriftyNickel? There are an absolute TON of private owners right now who would LOVE to take in a boarder to help make the mortgage payment.

Of course, telling them that you chose to let a horse suffer probably won't get you in at most places anyone would want to board at...you certainly would not be welcomed at where I board with that as a reference. Definitely leave that little detail out when you're being interviewed. If you would have been kicked out for telling an owner their horse was injured, my BO would have hauled your horse for free & waited on the board money. Not telling... not someone she'd want around.

I agree, the BO said that YOU couldn't tell the owner-I said I'd do it for you, and not mention your name. These things can cause problems for the horse, and most likely he will show some sign of soreness and the owner won't know why. This is uncalled for and very unprofessional. I doubt that the BO would want to loose you as a boarder, because most likely others know of her reputation and wouldn't board there anyway. I'd keep looking...but you are wrong in not telling the other boarder IMO. If it were my horse, I'd be livid.
    Equine Massage Therapy Classes and Rehab for Horses
    http://www.midwestnha.wordpress.com[/INDENT]

This is one of threads I wish I never read. In fact, this is one of those threads that make me swear I will never read another BB again.

People come crying for help and how horrible it is (and get the readers all concerned and worried, scampering with offers to help).....but, but, but.......after they calm down it's not as bad as it appears.

I'd have been out of there yesterday. But hell, thats just me. I don't tend to keep secrets for crap heads.

Glad to see you've seemingly gained a veterinary degree in 24 hours and are confident that this animal will be fine.Wonderful that you're "continuing to keep an eye on the horse"-a big blue ribbon for you!!And,oh,let's not forget you're also ready to LIE to owner about how perhaps a coyote bit her horse-if she ever finds out about the injury...sounds to me like you are exactly where you belong,in like company-with an uncaring liar.Shame on you.

MSL, it could be your horse that gets bitten next time. I urge you to tell the boarder what happened. It is the right thing to do.

Keep looking, even for a backyard barn where the owners will trreat your horse like one of their own. Some can look a little rugged, but look at the condition of the horses for a real measure of the care.

I am sorry for you. Back in the day I ran a co-op so I could keep my horse when $ was tight right out of college. I juggled a full time job as well as the co-op and it was emotionally exhausting, mostly because the estate owner was a very difficult, mercurial lunatic. It's hard to have to deal with stuff like that just to keep your horse and it takes a lot of the fun out of it, but hang in there. If you really scour the area and put the word out that you're looking, something will turn up. It did for me.

Your BO has given you all the information you need about the type of person she is. It's time to go, for your horse's sake.

i too am ashamed that you are not telling the owner and are willing to lie too!! Facts are facts my friend. and it will come out that you knew the whole time and then that will just be more trouble for you. TELL THE OWNER THAT HER HORSE WAS BIT, HAS PUNCTURE WOUNDS, AND COULD DEVELOP AN INFECTION! Just because the leg is less swollen doesnt mean anything! It could still swell back up with infection...and we all know what infection can lead to!!! Where on the leg was the horse bitten? if it is down low...then shame on your farrier for not noticing!!
    I know that if the horse was mine, and I was not told, or I was lied to about it, I would be VERY irritated with everyone involved. I also know that if I was told the truth when the bite first happened, then I would be very very greatful...but would be packing my bags and be out the door before you could say anything!
    Tell the owner and get out of there...ASAP!! There are plenty of back yard places around that if you explained the situation, they would be more then willing to take the horse in for awhile! Staying there is not a good plan by anymeans...your horse could be next, and it could be worse than this situation! What if your horse breaks a leg?? BO will say " Oh dont tell owner...or I am kicking you out!!" I just dont get the logic in sticking around and not telling the owner!!! Bad horsemanship and bad friendship too!
    "If you are nervous you arent focused-if you are focused, there is no room for nerves!"