The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Relocating to Dayton

I have a friend moving to Dayton to go with hubby who will work at Wright Patterson AFB - any advice on the dressage scene there? They need to find a dressage barn, and eventually lease a house with a a barn and indoor arena and find a dressage trainer there.

Default Here's a Place to Start

Here's a link to local barns, trainers. I am most familiar with Dancing Horse Farm and Windswept which are located between Cincinnati and Dayton.
    http://www.tacktrunkoh.com/inner/Trainers.php

Are those dressage barns? We'll check them out. Hopefully we'll go down there together next week.

I can personally recommend Nancy Baker @ Wicklow Dressage Center in Cincinnati, but know that Dancing Horse Farm (Jennifer Truitt) and Windswept Farm (Becky Knollman) are also great.

You may also want to peruse this website: http://www.dressageco.com
    lindasp62
    Founder & Donor/Account Advisor
    Brennan Equine Welfare Fund
    http://www.brennanequinewelfarefund.com/index.html

this is going to be a fun trip, anyone else have additional suggestions? tack shops, etc?

it seems that shows at the indy horse park, chicago, detroit and plenty of other places are within distance. what a nice area.

Quote Originally Posted by slc2 View Post
    this is going to be a fun trip, anyone else have additional suggestions? tack shops, etc?.
    Your best bet for a tack shop is http://www.tacktrunkoh.com/inner/contact.htm
    lindasp62
    Founder & Donor/Account Advisor
    Brennan Equine Welfare Fund
    http://www.brennanequinewelfarefund.com/index.html

I live in Dayton. Not sure how serious your friend is in dressage, but Trails End is a fantastic farm! Head trainer rides and show Grand Prix on an absolutely jaw dropping WB gelding. www.trailsend.biz

In terms of tack stores, we are seriously SERIOUSLY lacking in that department. Tack Trunk in Lebanon is awesome and Tacky Horse in Xenia has some nice things.
    “Riding a horse is not a gentle hobby, to be picked up and laid down like a game of Solitaire. It is a grand passion.” ~Emerson

Tack Trunk in Lebanon has everything for the Dressage Rider. Plus their staff is is knowledgeable and friendly. I believe you can now purchase items on line through their website. They have also been traveling to the Paxton Shows with their mobile store. I'm sure they will be at Region 2 Championships this year.

On a scale of 1-10 serious, I'd say 11, she competes, has a couple really nice horses.

The Cincinnati/ Dayton area is great! We are close to many shows and Trainers. Paxton Farm is in Cincinnati. Jackie Paxton is there training and so is Barb McCarthy. www.PaxtonFarm.com

Dressage Sport Guest

Default Knollman Dressage

I can personnal recommend Becky Knollman at Knollman Dressage. She has achieved much success both with showing and teaching. She has numerous students competing with great success throughout the levels. The barn and arenas are perfect for training. She also has great success competing...check out the website...www.knollmandressage.com

The only recommendation I can make that is within driving distance of Wright Patt - would be Knollman Dressage. Nice barn, great people, lots of fun and good quality.
    Paxtons is lovely - but is way too far away.
    RoseLane Sportponies - Home of
    Golden State - 2012 Bundeschampion 3yo Pony Stallion
    Golden West - 2014 Bundeschampion 3yo Pony Stallion
    Petit Marc Aurel- International FEI Dressage Pony Stallion

slc2, did your friend relocate here? If so, who is she riding with? I just recently started riding at Dancing Horse Farm and am having a great time working with the trainer/owner Jennifer Truett.

Quote Originally Posted by Dressage Sport View Post
    I can personnal recommend Becky Knollman at Knollman Dressage. She has achieved much success both with showing and teaching. She has numerous students competing with great success throughout the levels. The barn and arenas are perfect for training. She also has great success competing...check out the website...www.knollmandressage.com
    Becky is excellent, very qualified and very competant.

My mom's family is from Dayton, and while none of them ride, I think they're all excellent people anyway.

We did contact Becky Knollman and I was very impressed with her. She was gracious, friendly, professional and knowledgeable. But my friend's husband wound up getting laid off instead of transferred.