The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Best dressage saddle for Quarter Horses?

Any QH owners out there? Have you found any particular brand of dressage saddle that seems to fit them well? I currently have Albions but I don't like how they fit me.

Suggestions?

Unfortunately, there is no one saddle that is right for any breed of horse as a whole, including Quarter Horses. Like any other breed, each horse is an individual with its own particular conformation. The best saddle for you and your horse is the one that fits you and your horse well.
    Quote Originally Posted by Linny View Post
    Those martingales were so taut, you could play Ode to Joy on them with a comb

imaginexnation Guest

I agree with SillyHorse. However, I have an Appaloosa/Quarter horse and the Anky fit him really well. If you can, just try as many different kinds of saddles on your horse until you find one that is right for you and him.

If your horse is built like a typical QH you may want to look at the Bates or Wintec Isabel. The shape of the panels make them good for your "typical" QHs and andalusians. Good luck!

Thanks. I had a Bates Isabel a few saddles ago and wish I had not sold it to "move up" in saddles as it were. It's a terrible time to be selling saddles and I have 4 to get rid of.

My QH grew out of my Wintec Isabell very quickly. The panels were very badly shaped for the short, somewhat "downhill" back.

Right now we are going in a Barnsby. It's not the best, but the panels are a little better.

I have found three saddles that fit my QH well. The Anky, the Henri de Rival Lexus (bought that one) and the Isabell with the largest gullet. I tried quite a few saddles before making my decision. The Lexus was the best and for the price it was a no brainer.

Good Luck!
    Proud Member of the Opinionated Redhead Club! RIP my dear Avery ~3/21/1995-9/21/2011~

Extreme Cat!!! 2006 OTTB
    Magic Cat - Final Demand

My QH guy (who has to have a wide tree to fit his round back and wide shoulder) loves the Berney Bros dressage saddle I bought. I have their International Jumping saddle in a wide tree and knew that it fit him good, so when I broke down and went dressage saddle shopping, I looked towards their saddles first. Granted the twist is pretty wide, but I love the saddle and it fits him great and he seems very happy with it. Matter of fact, I like their saddles so much, I am looking into buying another Jumping saddle and dressage saddle in a Medium tree to fit my TB. The main thing I can tell you is to find a saddle that you like to ride in (the Berney's are very basic....not a lot of gingerbread to hold you down and in...which I like) and then try to find the correct tree size to go with your horse. If you have the wide backed and thick shoulder type QH (which mine is even though he is 16.2hh), you really will need to find a wide tree..... even the medium wides aren't wide enough).

Good luck!

Bobbi

Mine goes in a wide tree Black Country Eloquence. I sent wither tracings and pictures to Trumbull Mountain and this is what they suggested. It fit him almost perfectly out of the box. After 3 months, my saddle fitter made minor adjustments to the flocking, but he was very pleased with the fit. My QH is wide backed with big shoulders and just a smidgen of withers. He's a tad downhill but not much. He's not built like a foundation QH though.
    Anyway, I had a stellar experience with Trumbull Mountain and highly recommend them.

When I was dressaging, a wide tree KN fit my broad QH very nicely.
    FREE TACK/APPAREL ADS: BITS AND BARTER BOARD: http://bitsandbarter.proboards.com/i...ay&thread=5450

The Wintec Isabell would've crippled my horse if I had kept riding him in it. I have a wide, wide breeding stock Paint (mostly QH in the pedigree), and the widest gullet really wasn't wide enough and the tree wasn't the correct shape anyway.

The Duett Largo worked for him, and the Albion with the hoop tree or the Black Country Eloquence X would've worked for him. His favorite saddle (and mine), however, is the Ansur Classic.

It seems to me that I've seen ads for a dressage saddle built for "typical" QH's by Lynn Palm, too...maybe that would be worth checking out.

Good luck!
    "We need a pinned ears icon." -MysticOakRanch

Another vote for the Black Country Eloquence. It fits my guy really well and is very comfortable for me.

He also did quite nicely in a Michael Stokes. They are not too hard to find used and are generally reasonably priced. The twist on that saddle got to be too wide for me as I have gotten a little older and creakier. I like a wide twist, but the BC is a little more moderate and works better for me now.

MD

Quote Originally Posted by MontanaDun View Post
    Another vote for the Black Country Eloquence. It fits my guy really well and is very comfortable for me.

He also did quite nicely in a Michael Stokes. They are not too hard to find used and are generally reasonably priced. The twist on that saddle got to be too wide for me as I have gotten a little older and creakier. I like a wide twist, but the BC is a little more moderate and works better for me now.

MD
    I second Michael's saddles. I've had 2. (A dressage saddle and a CC and I loved them both). My guy currently goes in a Beval's dressage saddle and I am completely inlove...it fits me and him perfectly! It's a $1750 saddle and reletively hard to find used (mine was the only one I ever found used) but it's worth the price tag. =]

I guess it depends on your QH. Mine is built uphill and has a beautiful saddle placement spot. He goes in an extra wide tree Prestige - one of the older ones, I think it's called a classic. The panel shape (really wide but curves up in the back) accomodates how developed his lower back is. He hates a gussetted panel. One more thing he likes is how very wide the gullet is.
    "Kindness is free" ~ Eurofoal
    ---
    The CoTH CYA - please consult w/your veterinarian under any and all circumstances.

Quote Originally Posted by Phyxius View Post
    If your horse is built like a typical QH you may want to look at the Bates or Wintec Isabel. The shape of the panels make them good for your "typical" QHs and andalusians. Good luck!
    I agree. The Bates with CAIR panels and the widest gullet plate fits my really downhill QH quite well.

I love my Duett. I also really liked my XW Thornhill but alas my mare outgrew it. The prices are right too.
    We are all inclined to judge ourselves by our ideals; others, by their acts. ~Harold Nicolson