The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default What does RF stand for on XC?

I was looking at results from an event this past weekend, and I saw that someone got "RF" on cross country. What does RF stand for?? I've never seen that before.
    "Fifteen minutes of excellent work is better than an hour and a half of wandering aimlessly around." -Col. Bengt Ljundquist

Rider Fall
    Cady O' Daly Farm
    Connemara Sport Horses & Field Hunters

Bright Horse Communications - PR & Marketing

Quote Originally Posted by GreyDun View Post
    Rider Fall
    O ok.

But, if the rider fell, shouldn't it be an "E" for elimination??
    "Fifteen minutes of excellent work is better than an hour and a half of wandering aimlessly around." -Col. Bengt Ljundquist

Yes, but it explains a lot more than E. E Can mean you had 3 stops at one fence, or 4 stops at 4 different fences or you fell off, or you missed a fence.

We now have TE for Technical Elimination (rider brain fart), and Mandatory Retirement for a horse fall - vs. just R for the rider deciding to call it a day.

I like that it explains what happened. It does mean you have to understand that a rider fall = elimination, but since it's a rule, we all should know it and can make that leap when reading a scoreboard.

Default To track data?

Quote Originally Posted by Shrapnel View Post
    O ok.

But, if the rider fell, shouldn't it be an "E" for elimination??

Just guessing here, but I wonder if they are using RF as a more distinct code so that they can gather data more efficiently.

If so, seems like a good idea to me.
    No hour of life is lost that is spent in the saddle.
    -- Winston Churchill

Quote Originally Posted by Hilary View Post
    Yes, but it explains a lot more than E. E Can mean you had 3 stops at one fence, or 4 stops at 4 different fences or you fell off, or you missed a fence.

We now have TE for Technical Elimination (rider brain fart), and Mandatory Retirement for a horse fall - vs. just R for the rider deciding to call it a day.

I like that it explains what happened. It does mean you have to understand that a rider fall = elimination, but since it's a rule, we all should know it and can make that leap when reading a scoreboard.
    Agree- it's much better now it's more detailed.
    Horse Show Names Free name website with over 6200 names. Want to add? PM me!

The new designations went into effect on Aug.1; it seems that the USEA/USEF are trying to give each reason for non-completion its own designation (for clarity--E, R, MR, WD, TE, RF, S).

Ohio: Charter Member - COTH Hockey Clique & COTH Buffy Clique

S?
    "Of course it's hard. It's supposed to be hard. It's the Hard that makes it great."

"Get up... Get out... Get Drunk. Repeat as needed." -- Spike

s= scratch
    "Never do anything that you have to explain twice to the paramedics."
    Courtesy my cousin Tim

But isn't the definition of a scratch one that never shows up... therefore never is *really* an entry in the first place? If they're not an entry, how can they receive a score - letter OR number?? I know a former organizer who never reported scratches... worried that someone at USEF would want starter fees for extra names (which I really don't blame him for thinking that might happen).
    "Of course it's hard. It's supposed to be hard. It's the Hard that makes it great."

I think up until the moment you trot down center line you can still "scratch", but after that you must "withdraw". Wouldn't bet the farm on the definition, that's just sort of stuck in my head.
    Click here before you buy.

Sure. But up til you trot down the center line, you haven't "started" the event... which to me means you will get a score, even if it's a W.

I wouldn't be teh farm (if I had one) on me thinking correctly, but it just isn't making any sense why when looking up a competition record, you'd EVER see an S. The only reason I can see for tracking these is maybe for either organizer information (someone who consistently S's) or for horse buyer information - but S is about as descriptive as a generic E -- you don't know if they S'd for horse injury or because their truck broke down and they couldn't get to the event. Either way, they didn't go and a gap in competition record would be just as useful as tracking yet another Letter.

Maybe it's as simple as how the scores are actually recorded and reported by the secretary. Sometimes the big hand-written scoresheets are the main form of record-keeping, and if they put in a scratch for Joe Blow, that is recorded for convenience on that big "master" scoresheet and transferred over when the official report is made. Events that don't use that method might not bother to record the scratch in Joe Blow's column because they're generating a new scoresheet after every phase. Does that make sense?
    Click here before you buy.