The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Patch--saved from the Meat Man?

I just saw this article today.

What a heartwarming story.

http://www.eventingva.com/content/view/18/1/
    Proud scar wearing member of the Bold, Banned and Bitchen clique

She must not have gotten him directly from CANTER. Their adoption fees aren't that high. And if a trainer was selling him for $2500 he was a long way from the meat truck.

I saw a photo of that horse when it was 2 weeks off the track (prior to Laine's purchase of him I believe) and he was moving like a million bucks and was absolutely beautiful. Unrideable? Saved from the meat man? Not sure of the exact story, but I think someone from CANTER found the horse on the track, it was sold very inexpensively to a trainer who sold it to Laine for $2500. I could be wrong on that.

Hey, just take credit for bringing along a lovely OTTB and helping him to accomplish great things. You don't need to make it sound like he was one hoof in the dog food can to make it a better story.

Go CANTER and go OTTB's!

Quote Originally Posted by dilligaff2 View Post
    I just saw this article today.

What a heartwarming story.

http://www.eventingva.com/content/view/18/1/

Oh, gag me with a freakin' spoon, more syrupy, self-promoting PR from Ms. Askher. You can bet most of this story is embellished and manufactured to make her look like the hero, and note the generous throwing around of the "OLYMPIC" word. Meat price is more like $500, she's rather greatly exaggerating to say she saved him from the meat man.

Canter Pone?

I didn't see that in the article.
    Proud scar wearing member of the Bold, Banned and Bitchen clique

From the article:
    If not for the keen eye and warm heart of Lainey Ashker, he might have had a one-way ticket to the glue factory.
    Based on the sad demises of both 8 St. James Place and Frodo Baggins, one could argue that being 'rescued' by Ms. Ashker is not ultimately so much different from a trip to the glue factory.

Where am I and what am I doing in this handbasket?

For $2500? That's some fancy schmancy meat, don'cha think?

Hmm, sounds like CANTER does good work and doesn't get the credit where it's due. I think if Ms. Ashkar managed to get the horse from a recently restarted ex-racer to an upper level horse, that's impressive enough without padding your resume into sainthood, don't you think?
    Definition of "Horse": a 4 legged mammal looking for an inconvenient place and expensive way to die. Any day they choose not to execute the Master Plan is just more time to perfect it. Be Very Afraid.

Jer- Ouch.

But good on CANTER for recognizing the talent and being there. They have a knack for that!

Too Funny--I was just talking to someone about this the other day. I recognized "Alex" not so much from the photo I saw, but his name and that he was from the Virginia area.
    This was a horse I found right around the second year I had started CANTER. He was cute, little, kind of scrawny and 500$. But he moved well even though he was off from being clipped in his last race.

I showed him to a girl who wanted a project that she could have fun with and flip a few months later. She didn't have much to spend though. I showed her this horse, Alex's Castledream (that is his JC name) and several others and gave her my opinion on most of them.
    She bought him that day, and took him home and started playing with him. I wish my computer was still working that has his original CANTER photo on it, but I do have a collage on my office wall of lots of different horses I helped into new homes, he being one of them.

I was so thrilled to see that Laine had purchased the horse from the original girl and got him going so well--that is remarkable that he's winning at the intermediate level and now running advanced. But I find it pretty gross that someone would say that she "saved" the horse. He wasn't saved, he was bought. He wasn't 'unridable' he was green off the track. It's just too bad that people need to glorify their accomplishments to the point that they are just so far from the truth.
    yuck.

Anyhow, I have a few different pictures of "Alex" from the original purchaser, here is one of his pics--
    Cute!
    http://flickr.com/photos/fairweather/2766118148/

I'll have to get the computer fixed to get his original picture, I think it would be cool to see.
    See? You can find lovely horses in West Virginia, and what I love was that he was TINY. So folks, little at 3 doesn't mean they wont be beautiful animals at 6

What a load of crap. A $2500 OTTB is NOT a rescue. As for Ms. Ashker...she needs all the PR she can get.

JER - My sentiments exactly.
    Last edited by chism; Aug. 16, 2008 at 10:20 AM.
    "You can't blame other people. You can't always say what happened wasn't my fault, and you know what? Even if you have an excuse, shut up. "Bruce Davidson Sr.

Sigh.

Honestly.

She and her mother really do have a "LOOK AT MEEEEEE!!!!!" complex, don't they?

Cute horse though
    -Jessica

That article annoys me. On the one hand I am glad that OTTBs are getting some notoriety. I know a lot of people (not here usually, and obviously not on ER) that firmly believe OTTBs to be worthless. I think articles about ULR (whether I like them or not) and their OTTBs can be a good thing.

On the other hand, I get annoyed when people say they "rescued" their OTTB... sometimes it is true, but I have seen more that come off racing fit but obviously well fed and cared for, but they are a "rescue". Like others said... if you paid $2500 for it, it ain't a rescue. Also I am annoyed that she has taken all the glory for herself... Canter puts a lot of time and $ into their horses, and I am sure owner number 1 did something with him too.

Really someone needs to crazy glue that girls mouth, she can't seem to stop stepping her foot in it.

17.2HH skinny thoroughbred (10 years old at the time-find that out later by looking at his tattoo). Went at the end of the day at the auction - almost everyone looking for riding horses is gone. The horse is led in by one of workers of the auction. The fact that he was not ridden in drops his appeal. He was not ridden or messed with at all the entire day. Just stayed tied up in the same place.

Bidder A wants a riding horse. Bidder B is a Meat Man. Two bids later the Meat Man gives up - looks like bidder A wants the horse and no sense paying to much for a meat horse. $325 later a horse is literally saved from slaughter.

That is a 'saved from the Meat Man' story. If Laine had picked the horse up at the auction, I could see it. For $2500, no renderer would touch it.

The story is nice, but not a 'saved from Meat' story. The fact that someone would put that spin on it irritates me. Tell the story for what it is.

Default Once Again

Once again I say to Laine"It's better to be silent and thought a fool, than to speak up and remove all doubt"-- my mother used to tell me this all the time, and much as I didn't want to believe her at the time, she was right.
    The only difference between a runaway and a fast gallop is nothing but a SMILE
    Most horses cross the Rainbow Bridge, but TEDDY JUMPED IT!!!
    Member of the COTH Enabler Clique

I never got past the "nags to riches". Is it not Rags?
    God forbid that I go to a heaven in which there are no horses

Quote Originally Posted by Tuckertoo View Post
    I never got past the "nags to riches". Is it not Rags?
    Might be a play on words - like the horse was thought to be a 'nag' and ended up being a top show horse?

Maybe, maybe not.

I think someone should write in and correct whoever wrote the article, Maybe even mention Canter and how they helped the horse get to the third party that she "purchased" him from. I think it is an outrage she gets away with this BS.
    "A little less chit-chat a little more pitter-pat"

That article is over a year old. Why are we dragging it up now?
    T3DE 2010 Pact Group
    Barefoot Eventers Clique
    http://i18.photobucket.com/albums/b1...2lkxcbn110.jpg