The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Ever miss an old barn you left willingly?

Some time ago Old Barn imploded (not tho barn but the people). I wont go into whys and all but many people scattered. I went to New Barn, am mostly happy, and have stayed marginly friendly with OB BO/Trainer.

I had to go out by OB a few weeks ago and found I missed the place. It wouldnt be a good thing to go back even if I wanted to but I didnt figure I would want to.

Anyone else ever feel this? Could it be wanting the past (Dobbin ) back?
    “Management is doing things right; leadership is doing the right things.” Peter Drucker

I do. I don't want to go back, but I can certainly appreciate things about both of the places I have boarded. One was a friend's house and it was just her and me. We had some good times and I did appreciate having a little forest trail to ride on when I didn't want to be in the arena. The other was a commercial barn. I loved the social aspect, the indoor arena, the sound system and the smell of the place. I'm still glad I have my mare at home and I wouldn't change that, but sure, there are things I miss at times.

Yes, all the time. I left because I had moved and needed to move my horse closer to where I was. I'm still on very good terms with the old BOs. The new barn is great, BO is awesome and puts up with all of our (both mine and my horse's!) annoying habits, and I can see my horse every day if I want. My horse is able to get more specialized care at the new barn since its a small private barn. But I terribly miss my old barn and get terribly "barn-sick" when I hear updates about their regular events and activities that still take place. I took regular lessons there for 12 years, boarded there for about 15 yrs, and worked there during the summers in HS and college - it was like my second home/family. I still go back out to the old barn fairly often and I'm constantly reminded of how much I miss it. (It makes me teary just thinking of it now!!) It's just where I felt like I belonged... and still do
    "Farming looks mighty easy when your plow is a pencil, and you're a thousand miles from the corn field." --Dwight D Eisenhower

Boston Terrier Rescue of NC - www.btrnc.org - Adopt for Life!

I miss my barn in TX. I miss the people..the stuff we all did together with our horses...all of it.

But I moved to MI. So here I be.
    A good horseman doesn't have to tell anyone...the horse already knows.

Might be a reason, never an excuse...

I miss the old lesson barn where I first learned to jump as an adult re-rider. Not so much the barn, but all the teens who were there back then, cheering me on and accepting me as a friend, even though I was old enough to be their mom.

Its just not the same there anymore, for sure, and all those teens are adults now, many with husbands and kids of their own, but I still think of all of them as the greatest teens I've ever known.
    Lowly Farm Hand with Delusions of Barn Biddieom.
    Witherun Farm
    http://witherun-farm.blogspot.com/

I miss the barns I was at in CA. They were all so social, the parties, the nights out on the town, the good friends, many of whom I still am in touch with. Now the horses are at home and so am I. There's good and bad aspects to it, one of the bad aspects is the lack of a social life. But, when my new barn gets built maybe I'll bring in a couple of boarders and then I'll wish I didn't and go back to being a lonesome hermit! LOL Oh well, those good old days are gone but there will be more; just not the same.

I think all good barns-trainers have their specialities. Some are great instructors, some great with adults, some with kids, others with difficult horses. Some good with breaking babies, others better with older horses. Some have such a great customer base, you just want to be apart of that crowd because they work as a team.

I had a situation a couple of years ago where I used and loved a small personal training barn, but the trainer told me quite a few times she did not like to break young horses. I found another trainer who specialized in just that and struck up a deal with him for my youngster. First trainer really got her feelings hurt and I never meant that to happen. On top of that - my older gelding foundered - so at the exact same time, I now did not have a horse to ride with the 1st trainer. Things got uncomfortable at times, but when I saw her at shows I was always nice and cheered for her riders. Not too long after that we started to talk on a regular basis again and mended the fence. I am so glad too...because she is a great trainer who specialized in pairing horses with their owners and I am again using her.

I miss the actual BARN (as in, the physical structure)...and I miss certain people. In some ways, I wish my current barn were run like my old barn (you know...run like a business?)...but I love (...usually...) how my current barnmates are all like a big family. Sometimes I do wish that there were a bigger (read: any) divide of personal/professional at my current place.

So in a word: Yes.
    Americans are just Canadians that someone fed after midnight.

Yeah, for sure. I'm in a similar situation as you - I left my old barn cuz it kinda imploded, and went to new barn, which my old trainer manages.

However, I miss the facilities of my old barn (it was the most beautiful place I've ever been at), and I miss a few of the people. I think mostly though, I just miss the memories, and wish things had stayed the same. I don't handle change well.

That being said, I am thrilled at my new place. I love the way its run, and the only things I would change would be bigger indoor and more jumps, but the jumps are coming, and I should be grateful to just have an indoor.
    Proud Closet Canterer!

Not in my case!
    www.specialhorses.org
    a 501(c)3 organization helping 501(c)3 equine rescues

Are you kidding?

I left an eventing barn for two reasons--I wanted to get back into the hunters, and I felt that the care was really declining. However, it was the most social and fun barn I've ever been at--lots of cook outs and get togethers, and all the boarder were super nice. It was just a great social event to go to the barn.

I moved to barn where the care was exquisite, but the people were pretty dull by comparison. Now my horses are at home and I really have no one to ride with!!
    Life would be infinitely better if pinatas suddenly appeared throughout the day.

The only reason I miss my last barn is that it was very, very close to my house. Otherwise, nope, not at ALL.

A barn I rode in during college--yes. Fun atmosphere, nice horses, but the instructor was a little crazy. Fun place to ride, though!

Kim
    I loff my Quarter horse clique

I kill threads dead!

I'll always miss my Old Barn. I left for a variety of reasons and don't regret it because I would have missed out on a lot of great experiences had I stayed, but it will always be my barn.

I spent my childhood there and the girls who I rode with are still my best friends, 5 years after I left.

Right now I live about 10 minutes away from the old barn. I don't feel 100% comfortable there because I left, but I go back sometimes with the other girls, and I always feel welcomed by my old BO. It's a small barn in a tiny town, and while there were always plenty of lesson kids around, my 10 or so friends and I were always "the girls" who hung around all day long. Once we left there wasn't another crop of little girls to take our place, so I guess we'll always be "the girls".

The place changed my life.

Not so much. I occasionally have missed parts of old barns, like the outdoor that was carved into a hill side or having an indoor. Two of my past boarding barns went to $hit (while I was there) and the other was in a part of the state that I really hated living in, so I was very happy to leave all three.

Glad its not just me! I thought something was wrong. The OB is a nice facility tho small and zero turnout. The NB has a 40 acre pasture, paddocks, a 2 acre outdoor and an indoor. The care if better and the people nicer. WHY would I even think for an instant about going back?

Probably wouldnt like the people there now...
    “Management is doing things right; leadership is doing the right things.” Peter Drucker

Quote Originally Posted by BuddyRoo View Post
    I miss my barn in TX. I miss the people..the stuff we all did together with our horses...all of it.
    Me too. I boarded at a self-care place in College Station. There were things that drove me nuts, but I really liked the barn manager and somedays we would just hang out and chat for hours. I miss that.

I do love having my horses at home, though. My ideal world would probably be to move in next door to someone who wanted to go ride once a week or so and needed someone (me!) to go to horse shows with them. I can dream..
    Visit us at Bluebonnet Equine Humane Society - www.bluebonnetequine.org

Want to get involved in rescue or start your own? Check out How to Start a Horse Rescue - www.howtostartarescue.com

Quote Originally Posted by cowgirljenn View Post
    Me too. I boarded at a self-care place in College Station. There were things that drove me nuts, but I really liked the barn manager and somedays we would just hang out and chat for hours. I miss that.

I do love having my horses at home, though. My ideal world would probably be to move in next door to someone who wanted to go ride once a week or so and needed someone (me!) to go to horse shows with them. I can dream..
    Can YOU be my neighbor? I would give my... oh I don't know what I'd give... but I'd be so happy to have someone who could do both those things with me!

I do, sometimes. I started riding at a boarding/lesson/show barn when I was 10. Became a boarder at 15, and eventually left there when I was 23. My best friends in the world are from that barn, and I occasionally get really nostalgic-feeling thinking about the good ol' days when I worked there, and spent literally ALL my time there. Things changed though, one trainer left and took her clients - meaning about HALF the barn with her. Then the BO sold the barn to a woman who was leasing out an aisle for her clients. Then my trainer left and took some clients with her. I couldn't afford the board at the barn she moved to, so I stayed put. I started wanting a place with better turnout (old barn only had dirt paddocks) - it's kind of amazing what you DON'T know is out there when you've only been at one place and never thought to look around.

I found the barn I'm at now because a friend trains there, and I loved it right away. My horse gets all the grass he can graze on now. I have trails to ride on. Of course there's down sides - the barn is huge and the indoor ring can get flat out insane to ride in at times - but the goods heavily outweigh the bads.

I think it's normal to miss something that was a part of you, even if it changed. I'm lucky in that I still see my close friends from that barn all the time, and thanks to the wonder that is Facebook have reconnected with a whole bunch more.

Quote Originally Posted by ybiaw View Post
    I miss the actual BARN (as in, the physical structure)...and I miss certain people. In some ways, I wish my current barn were run like my old barn (you know...run like a business?)...but I love (...usually...) how my current barnmates are all like a big family. Sometimes I do wish that there were a bigger (read: any) divide of personal/professional at my current place.

So in a word: Yes.
    I skimmed this thread really fast and didn't notice your post.

I miss the OLD barn - when the old trainers were there, the old school horses. I don't miss much after it became what it is now. A couple of the people maybe.