The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Default Nebraska town officials want horse out pronto

Sorry if this has already been posted. I searched and didn't see anything, so hopefully I'm not repeating a previous thread. A friend of mine just sent this to me. With all the wisdom here on COTH, does anyone have any ideas on how to possibly help this man? Or if help is even possible?

http://www.wtopnews.com/?nid=456&sid=1459310
    "It is not necessary for you to let everyone know everything about you. In fact, it is probably wise that you don't. There are some things that you need only discuss with God."

It sounds like the horse was on that property prior to the livestock ban. Wouldn't there be a grandfather clause or maybe he could apply for an exception since the horse was there prior to the no livestock law passage.

I also wonder that since they haven't enforced the law for 20 years whether he would have a case based on that- something along the lines of selective enforcement or setting precidence.

Not a lawyer so just throwing things out there.

Default News Article

Here's the news:

Nebraska town officials want horse out pronto
    August 14, 2008 - 4:18am

By ERIC OLSON
    Associated Press Writer
    HICKMAN, Neb. (AP) - Talk about your one-horse town. This burg of 1,084 residents is just that.

But some folks don't want that distinction. They want an aging horse named Peter Rabbit, who lives in a pasture in town, gone for good.

Other folks say the horse should stay, despite an ordinance that bans livestock inside city limits.

"I feel bad for the poor horse. He's probably going to die soon anyway," said Jamie Cox, who manages the town bar, Sadie's Place. "As long as he's being taken care of, they should leave him alone."

Hickman, once a sleepy farm town, has become a bedroom community for the capital city of Lincoln and is one of the fastest-growing cities in Nebraska.

With houses having sprung up around Peter Rabbit's pasture, Mayor Jim Hrouda and five of the six City Council members are determined to enforce the livestock ban. Shortly after a council meeting Tuesday, the horse's owner, 76-year-old Harley Scott, was served an eviction notice that orders the animal off the land.

Scott said he has no intention of complying with the Sept. 15 deadline. He faces the prospect of being fined up to $100 a day if he's convicted of violating the ordinance.

Longtime council member Robert Harms said the livestock ordinance dates to 1988. He said allowing Peter Rabbit to stay would make it difficult to keep other livestock out.

Scott said he has raised Peter Rabbit since the brown Morgan-quarter horse crossbreed was born in his pasture in the spring of 1976. Scott said there have been horses on the land since his father bought 40 acres in 1935.

Only about four acres remain in the family. The rest has been sold to developers.

His land was annexed in 2006, but Scott said no one said anything to him at the time about having to give up the horse.

Scott said Peter Rabbit, who is as healthy as a 32-year-old horse can be, is too old to move. Horses have a life expectancy of 25 to 30 years.

"He could drop dead today," Scott said. "I would prefer to have him remain as stable as he is and be able to enjoy his life. I like to go out and pet him. It's just a matter of feeding and petting him."

___

On the Net:

City of Hickman: http://www.hickman.ne.gov/

(Copyright 2008 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.)

Citiots on parade!
    “There are two ways to conquer and enslave a nation. One is by the sword. The other is by debt.”
    John Adams

How absolutely adorable that he's taken such good care of the horse for so long, and seems genuinely concerned about his well-being.

Shame on the town for causing such a hassle about the whole thing....and yes, as someone else mentioned, isn't he grandfathered in?

LOL, I just posted this same thing! You beat me to it.
    "Farriers are the hairdressers of the horse world. They know everything about everybody..."-Lildunhorse

Maybe the town of Hickman would like some more free publicity. Or maybe a few hundred phone calls.

Just what I was thinking!!!

Default Any COTH lawyers that can check on the possibility of being grandfathered in?

It would be nice to let this caring, older gentleman keep his aging horse on his own property where the horse and man have lived all their lives. I love that Scott likes to go out and pet his horse, and that it's just a matter of feeding and petting him. All horses should be so lucky to be cared for like that.

There's a link to contact the town from the wtop website hint-hint....

I hope everyone who wants the horse out gets explosive diarrhea.
    www.specialhorses.org
    a 501(c)3 organization helping 501(c)3 equine rescues

I wonder how many of the town residents are actually aware of this? Maybe they would have a softer heart and write letters allowing a grandfather clause. After all, they didn't enforce it back in 1988, nor notify him in 2006. Citiots is an excellent name for those A**holios.

Something similar happened in CO when I lived there- younger people and horse, but they did not prevail. I was really irritated about that even way back then.
    I may have been away for a while, but I'm not gone yet!

Crayola posse ~Magenta

Those folks are lower than a snake's belly. Let the poor horse live out his remaining days in peace.

In Georgia we do have the grandfather clause, since the cities and counties have been rezoning out horses and chickens. They built a subdivision down the road and a woman who lives by them has roosters who crow, and the subdivision people are livid, but the roosters were there, well their ancestors, before the subdivision.
    Any Nebraska lawyers on coth?
    We got rezoned after my horses died years ago, so I board, but the cop down the road just put 3 horses from the mounted patrol in his back yard, right across from that subdivision, so I'm thinking of moving mine to my backyard. Except no place to ride as the boy scout camp moved out of town and that subdivision sits where I used to ride in the woods.
    I hope there is a grandfather clause in nebraska and Peter Rabbit can live out his life in his pasture. What a creepy town. Oh wait, why doesn't the national news get on this case? Time to email nbc/cbs/abc. A little national exposure and embarassment might do the trick to save PRabbit.

They have disabled the contact us feature on their web-site. ---

This is the message that I got:
    The contact form has been temporarily disabled. We are sorry for any inconvenience this may cause.

----

I hope that they got many emails on this subject.

Quote Originally Posted by BabyGreen View Post
    Maybe the town of Hickman would like some more free publicity. Or maybe a few hundred phone calls.
    Exactly what I was thinking, on both accounts...

or worse yet, a personal visit from me to "discuss the matter."

*cracks knuckles*

What a bunch of assclowns.... worried about a 32-year old horse and it's old man. low, low, low.

I'd certainly love nothing more than to *really* give them something to think about and occupy all that free time they obviously have... anyone care to join me for a roadtrip?
    Quote Originally Posted by Martha Drum View Post
    ...But I don't want to sit helmetless on my horse while he lies on the ground kicking a ball around without a bridle while Leatherface does an interpretive dance with his chainsaw around us.

Exclamation

Yes they have disabled it - but here is the address to snail mail them your thoughts:

SAVE PETER RABBIT

c/o

City Of Hickman
    POB 127
    Hickman, NE 68372-0127

I am getting my students to send off a letter or post card TODAY! Poor old horse SHAMEFUL!!!!
    "If you don't know where you are going, any road will take you there"

Hometown: San Antonio, TX ; Current Location: Amarillo, TX

I found this email address on the City of Hickman website

citymanager@ckt.net
    RIP Kid Gloves (Holly) 1992 TBxHanv CCI*** mare.
    http://photobucket.com/tx3dayeventer/holly
    New mare: Miss Bunny Express (Missy) 1995 AQHA Jumper mare.
    http://photobucket.com/tx3dayeventer/missy

which is better - e mail or snail mail?
    www.specialhorses.org
    a 501(c)3 organization helping 501(c)3 equine rescues