The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456

County...lets keep to the main topic and not bring abortion or the sanctity of human life into this debate. My only point is that if you want to change a law or stop someone from doing so, get off your ass and do it. If you don't like the fact that laws can be changed...like banning slaughter or rodeo by a popular vote...than go live where the laws are slanted to your favor or they can't be changed by what the majority wants.

THAT is ALL I said in the other thread and I want to make sure that people here realize the context in which I said it. I've been off on vacation this weekend and off line and come back and find a comment I made is being taken out of context by a person who apparently did not even understand what I meant...or was simply twisting my words to suit his purpose...and I don't appreciate that.

Don't bring abortion into it. Why not you brought child labor. And where did you get the idea I don't like the fact laws can be changed like I said I never once said anything of the sort. You seem to make things up to fit your purpose from what I can see.

So how many rodeo haters have you mentioned to get off their ass and ban it?
    Quality doesn\'t cost it pays.

County...YAWN....go find someone to fight with who cares...I am going to bed.

Good night try not to be so boring tommorrow with the things you make up.

Quote Originally Posted by rcloisonne View Post
    True. The Romans thought feeding Christians and other subversives to the lions was great fun for the whole family. The Colosseum was always packed. People do enjoy their chills and thrills.
    And here we have a classical example of zealotry in action. No response is required.

G.

Quote Originally Posted by county View Post
    Good night try not to be so boring tommorrow with the things you make up.
    You must mean you will try not to be so boring?

No not at all I mean exactly what I said.

I am one of the few western riders on this board. I wandered in here and haven't left yet. I used to barrel race and do other speed events growing up at a small rodeo. I had a blast competing and never saw any animals get hurt (only people).

I notice that many of you don't address the speed events when discussing the evils of a rodeo. Our rodeo was about half speed events and half cow events. No, I did not like calf roping and was amazed when the calves got back up. I'm not sure how much calf roping they do anymore or if it's changed. The few I've seen on TV in the last couple of years were easier on the calves.

Is the rodeo a spectator sport? Sure. Is it a competitor sport? Sure. Is it realistic ranch work? Depends on what you're talking about. Those barrels don't knock themselves down, you know. Does that make it less fun? No. Is it pure lion eating Christian blood sport? No, but that's my opinion and you're entitled to yours.

Funny that some of you think we don't love our horses or take care of them.
    May S: The very nature of rodeos is not looking out for the horses' best long-term interest. (perhaps she is not considering the speed events of rodeo)
    Our horses were our pets and we took good care of them. Like some one else said, the horses have to be in good condition to perform well.

Trying to get used to a different style of riding, could make you jump to the conclusion that they are poor riders or are abusing their horses. I personally don't like watching a rolkur, constant dressage kicking, and hunched over riders on gaited horses. It's hard for me to get over these stylistic differences, but I try. (I did like the young Chinese rider in the Olympics) I want to learn more about other disciplines and that's why I loiter on this board. Anyway, if you really wanted to understand the rodeo, you should go visit a western board and discuss it with them. Although, Bluey has made some excellent remarks here.