The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 678

Well, obviously a sale in VA is nice for those of you that live in VA, but there are some breeders and Pony Finals contestants that find KY to be more convenient. While a lot of nice ponies are bred in VA, not ALL are.
    Quicksilver Farms, LLC
    "Welsh Hunter Ponies"
    Welsh Sec. B Stallions and
    Fancy Show Pony Prospects
    www.quicksilverponies.com

I don't htink it is a bad idea to put the Production Sale again in conjunction with Pony Finals, though.
    Quicksilver Farms, LLC
    "Welsh Hunter Ponies"
    Welsh Sec. B Stallions and
    Fancy Show Pony Prospects
    www.quicksilverponies.com

Would it be a 100-pony sale? I haven't noticed. How many typically enter the breeder's sale?

I remember riding over to the Middleburg Training Center, another lifetime ago. Are there similar training track/facilities in that area? Would that be an option? (Just thinking out of the box a bit.)

So is stabling the biggest stumbling block to this sort of thing?
    Sportponies Unlimited
    Athletic Thoroughbred crosses for the highly motivated, smaller rider.

Quote Originally Posted by quicksilverponies View Post
    I don't htink it is a bad idea to put the Production Sale again in conjunction with Pony Finals, though.
    I think that is a great idea. I really think the production sale lacks an audience and the pony finals sale has a great one. Could do the production sale one night and the performance sale the next. Limit the performance sale to those who can w/t/c and at least do a x-rails course. I think there is a reason everyone tries to get their two year olds in the pony finals sale but don't bother with the other. It is all about results. If you aren't the high seller at the breeders sale (ie Richard Taylor) - IMHO, you have wasted time and money - or you just want to give your stock away.
    Visit my website @ http://hihorsefarm.tripod.com (PONIES!)
    and
    http://heidalaycavaliers.tripod.com (Cavalier King Charles Spaniels)

Well, it's always a bit discouraging when the same names keep cropping up at the top. Like hunter breeding, it's not rocket science, so there really should be more variance.

BUT BUT BUT that said, there may be structural factors that inhibit that variance. Those factors are the reason why I think having a sale NOT associated with the pony finals might attract a more varied group of buyers (and sellers). Sales at the finals are dominated by trainers and insiders and pros...so as a result, breeders who want to do well have to line up with those entities one way or another (even in having decent riders exhibit the ponies--kinda like having a sale pony get notice in the show ring, too).

Ach, but small systems are almost never egalitarian. With expansion and competition comes equity.
    Sportponies Unlimited
    Athletic Thoroughbred crosses for the highly motivated, smaller rider.