The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default LET THE GAMES BEGIN!!!

From the BloodHorse this morning...

"The Big Brown-Curlin soap opera continued Aug. 13 when Jess Jackson, majority owner of 2007 Horse of the Year Curlin, announced he will donate $50,000 from the Jackson Curlin for Kids Fund to the non-profit Belmont Child Care Association, Anna House, if Big Brown runs in the $500,000 Woodward Stakes (gr. I) Aug. 30."

"When told of the offer, Mike Iavarone, co-president of IEAH Stables, replied, “I have a better offer. We’ll donate $250,000 to various charities if Curlin meets us in the Breeders’ Cup. These are the things we do anyway. We strongly feel that championships should be decided at the Breeders’ Cup and that in order to give both horses the proper time to prepare for each other, we believe the race we meet in should be on racing’s biggest stage. It also would allow horses from Europe an opportunity to race against us and prove who the best horse in the world is. You’re not going to prove it in a four-horse field in the Woodward. You’re going to prove it in a full field in the Breeders’ Cup. That’s where the champions have been decided almost every year."
    Last edited by gubbyz; Aug. 13, 2008 at 11:17 PM.
    "To my Gub... Godspeed my friend, till we meet again." 1996-2007.
    Runway (Sasha) 2009 Zweibrucker filly by Redwine.

"Silence is golden...and duct tape is silver."

Oh and I meant for the title to say LET, not LRT! But don't know how to change it.

I'm rapidly losing interest in this crap. Just STFU and race your horses in real races against other good horses, you collection of assorted idiots.

Next Tuesday the top 3yo and leading older horse in Europe will go head to head in the Juddmonte Intl at York, with a top 3yo filly among others thrown in for good measure, no running and hiding and no need for trash talking. Just racing.

Quote Originally Posted by gubbyz View Post
    Oh and I meant for the title to say LET, not LRT! But don't know how to change it.
    when you hit edit, there is a button that says " Go Advanced". Hit that and it will allow you to change the title of the thread.

Oh yay, the urinating contest continues.

So, if they both get burried by another horse, who pays up?

Solution: both run in the MassCap and donate the supplemental money being proposed by Suffolk Downs to charity.

That track I don't believe is still offering the multi-million dollar purse they did before Curlin lost on the grass or BB wilted in the Belmont - flashback to the $5M offer on June 6, 2008

Yet I know Mr. Fields would still offer a hefty sum to bring both to Boston.

I think both camps have watched the Hollywood version of Seabiscuit too many times and are craving to not be portrayed as the War Admiral/Glen Riddle Farm/Sam Riddle side of the story.

I am bit shocked .. no, I take that back, as I think Michael Iavarone is a bit overly theatrical in his public posturing ... anyhow he took issue with Jess Jackson's "use of charity" to bring these two horses together. Oh come on. Give us a break!

Times Union Aug 13, 2008 "Big Brown owner thumbs down on Curlin showdown"

Iavarone, speaking by phone from his office on Long Island Wednesday, said he has no plans to send Big Brown to the Spa and was dismayed that Jackson used a charity to try to entice him to run against Curlin.

"I heard about it and my phone has been ringing off the hook," Iavarone said. "I think that it's sad, that a man of his means offers $50,000 to a charity for us to come to the race. It's certainly not going to make us come. The race we are supposed to run against him is the Breeders' Cup Classic, not a four-horse field in the Woodward."
    Sad?

Looks like BB is too tuckered out to run again so soon

Iavarone said Big Brown, who won the Kentucky Derby and Preakness but finished last in the Belmont, needs some rest after winning the Haskell Invitational at Monmouth Park on Aug. 3.
    However Iavarone did say the the Mass Cap at Suffolk Downs on Sept. 20 is possible. So Jess Jackson should just agree to that race too!

UPDATE:

Jackson says "Meet us in the Gold Cup" Sept. 27 http://news.bloodhorse.com/article/46571.htm
    “A clever person solves a problem. A wise person avoids it.”
    ? Albert Einstein

~AJ~

Quote Originally Posted by EventerAJ View Post
    UPDATE:

Jackson says "Meet us in the Gold Cup" Sept. 27 http://news.bloodhorse.com/article/46571.htm

A pity it's only 10f. Neither of these horses has won at 12f; it'd be an interesting test to see if either of them could.
    Starts with an 'S,' ends with a 'T.' You figure it out.

"Houston, Tranquility Base here, picking up where we left off ..."

As the NY Post said - Iavarone says neigh to the JCGP too

NYT Aug 14, 2008

The ball back in his court, Jackson issued another news release, requesting that, with the Woodward option ruled out, Big Brown meet his horse in the Jockey Club Gold Cup. It was in this news release that Jackson ruled out Curlin’s participation in the Classic, something he had not previously done.

Again, Iavarone was unmoved, ruling out a showdown at Belmont.

“My answer is the same as it was before,” he said. “The Gold Cup is not even in our thoughts.”
    There are no races on the Belmont fall stakes schedule that fit Iavarone’s plans, but he said he had been told by New York Racing Association officials that they would try to create a race to lure Big Brown back to Belmont.
    Create a race? It won't be graded and without Curlin then it's nothing more then a vanity-paycheque race of which Iavarone bitched about with the Woodward:

That’s where the best horses in the world come together to decide Horse of the Year, not in the Woodward in a four-horse field.”
    Maybe he needs to study the history of racing and how key the JCGP has been in years past .. in the glory days.

Quote Originally Posted by Glimmerglass View Post
    Solution: both run in the MassCap and donate the supplemental money being proposed by Suffolk Downs to charity.
    I'll drink to that.

Maybe they should both race against Peppers Pride next weekend.

It's always been about the money .... proof as IEAH is indicating Big Brown will only entertain a run at Philadelphia Park for $1 million which is way too rich (IMHO) for that track.

As to why Philadelphia would or should cough up that much for a likely small field of non-graded turf runners is beyond me. The money from the gate and wagering handle never would make up for it.

The Pa. Thoroughbred Horsemen's Assoc. President's Cup, at a mile-and-an-eighth on grass for 3-year-olds and up, has a purse of $250,000, but could be bumped up "anywhere from $500,000 to $1M," Sinatra said, if the winner of a Triple Crown race - i.e, Big Brown - starts.
    I suspect further restrictions such as a very beneficial handicap would be required before BB would really show.