The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Default Dress boots in hunters

My friend just gave me a pair of "dress boots" that are quite nice La Mundials.
    The boots fit exactly like a feild boot, the only difference is there arent laces. Also, they are too big like right in the widest part o the calf, Its possible to take then in, Right? So if they look nice it great its not too horrible that they dont have laces they are good to go right? And if not is it possible to stick holes for laces?

Here is the link to the ones I have, they are the ones on the left.
    http://www.la-mundial.com/jumper.htm
    Last edited by LiveToFly; Aug. 13, 2008 at 05:37 AM.

Dress boots are perfectly correct for Hunters.

I would never show in dress boots, and no one in my barn would be allowed to either.

If they fit and look nice then wear them. I know several people that show in dress boots even at the AA level b/c they happen to prefer the look. Being clean and having an overrall impression of tidiness is much more important then if you have laces on your boots or not .

you can take the girl outta NY, but ya can't take NY outta the girl

Quote Originally Posted by Hemac View Post
    I would never show in dress boots, and no one in my barn would be allowed to either.
    aren't dress boots considered more formal? why wouldn't anyone be allowed? (NOT dressage stiffer type, but plain dress?)
    just curious, not singling you out.
    to err is human, to whinny, Equine.
    Ebay-aholic! Carolina clique, BITS AND BARTER BOARD BUDDY
    EYEGLASSES MISSIONS FOR ARMENIA-send me your old glasses!

aren't dress boots considered more formal? why wouldn't anyone be allowed? (NOT dressage stiffer type, but plain dress?)
    just curious, not singling you out.
    Technically, they are more formal in regards to the hunt field: black field boots are an invention of show hunters. However, it's evolved into black field boots being what's worn by 99% of riders, even as formal attire.

That doesn't make black dress boots any less correct under the rules, though.

Make sure they fit.

Trixie is right, dress boots are always acceptable in the hunter ring. In fact, field boots would not be proper attire in an appointments class although I guess many of today's show riders don't even know what that is.

My trainer has custom Aroya (sp) dress boots and they are amazing. If I were to order new customs right now, I would seriously consider dress over field boots.
    Become a Posse and help keep kids on horses and off the streets.
    http://www.comptonjrposse.org/

We all used to wear dress boots back in the 60's! Then brown field boots appeared then they went to black. Most people prefer field boots because you can have them fit your leg better since you can close down the ankle once you have them on. Dress boots are always going to have more bulk in the ankle so you can get your foot through. I suppose if you put zippers in dress boots they would fit the ankle better but the field boots are more popular anyway.
    And yes, I remember appointment classes! Dress boots, no saddle pad, hunt whip, mandatory spurs, gloves, string gloves under the billets, sandwich case with a certain kind of sandwich in it, canary breeches, white shirt, stock tie, black coat.....I always got all fixed up for this class and chipped the first fence! It was such a pain!!

I loved my dress boots! I switched to field boots when they came in black, because they were easier to put on. But, now with zippers being almost standard issue with all boots, I would definitely consider dress boots for my next pair of new boots. They are easier to clean and polish than field boots!
    Elizabeth
    The Greatest Sense of Freedom is on a Horse!

Where am I and what am I doing in this handbasket?

Now that most people have zippers on their boots, it does beg the question WHY field boots, other than it is what the latest generation grew up with.

What do you bet the next fad/shift will be to dress boots with zippers? (But I'll be left behind since I haven't even managed to embrace zippers yet )
    Definition of "Horse": a 4 legged mammal looking for an inconvenient place and expensive way to die. Any day they choose not to execute the Master Plan is just more time to perfect it. Be Very Afraid.

Quote Originally Posted by Lessonlady View Post
    We all used to wear dress boots back in the 60's! Then brown field boots appeared then they went to black. Most people prefer field boots because you can have them fit your leg better since you can close down the ankle once you have them on. Dress boots are always going to have more bulk in the ankle so you can get your foot through. I suppose if you put zippers in dress boots they would fit the ankle better but the field boots are more popular anyway.
    And yes, I remember appointment classes! Dress boots, no saddle pad, hunt whip, mandatory spurs, gloves, string gloves under the billets, sandwich case with a certain kind of sandwich in it, canary breeches, white shirt, stock tie, black coat.....I always got all fixed up for this class and chipped the first fence! It was such a pain!!
    I remember also! I'm so out of the loop now, I had no idea that field boots were now the norm! I was surprised when I saw the OP. I'm thinking HUH?!

Quote Originally Posted by Dispatcher View Post
    I remember also! I'm so out of the loop now, I had no idea that field boots were now the norm! I was surprised when I saw the OP. I'm thinking HUH?!
    norm/fad/fashion. If you like 'em, wear 'em, I don't care. But please (kids) realize that Hunters originated from fox-hunting and formal attire for hunting (e.g. dress black boots) is still correct in Hunters.

I really don't get the point of laces (other than fashion) if you have zippers on your boots. It's not like you need them to get your foot in the boot easier. I have two pairs of boots for shows, one custom, one not and neither have laces. I think that no laces is a nicer look (provided that the ankles part of the boot is slim). And like ColoredHares said, they ARE easier to clean and polish (not that I do that or anything ).

To answer the other part of your question-- yes, it is possible to take in the boots in the calf area slightly. Make sure you get someone who knows what they are doing, as taking too much away can leave you with a problem!

Quote Originally Posted by BAC View Post
    Trixie is right, dress boots are always acceptable in the hunter ring. In fact, field boots would not be proper attire in an appointments class although I guess many of today's show riders don't even know what that is.
    Sadly, you are correct. I wore them as a child in the formal equitation classes. My trainer then would never have allowed field boots in these classes. My trainer today only wears dress boots.

Didn't Brianne wear dress boots in her winning Maclay campaign?

Wasn't it a turkey sandwich?

Dress boots? Rust breeches? Do I detect a pendulum swinging?
    Quote Originally Posted by Linny View Post
    Those martingales were so taut, you could play Ode to Joy on them with a comb

Quote Originally Posted by chawley View Post
    Sadly, you are correct. I wore them as a child in the formal equitation classes. My trainer then would never have allowed field boots in these classes. My trainer today only wears dress boots.

Didn't Brianne wear dress boots in her winning Maclay campaign?

Wasn't it a turkey sandwich?
    With the crusts cut off.
    Quote Originally Posted by Linny View Post
    Those martingales were so taut, you could play Ode to Joy on them with a comb

Field boots are brown and informal. Worn with tweed.

Black field boots are a recent invention of the horse show world. The idea of field boots and a shadbelly (or any black coat) would make any traditional turnout nazi explode in shock and disbelief.

Try not to confuse current horse show fashion trends with correct turnout.
    madeline
    * What you release is what you teach * Don't be distracted by unwanted behavior* Whoever waits the longest is the teacher. Van Hargis

Quote Originally Posted by Madeline View Post
    Field boots are brown and informal. Worn with tweed.

Black field boots are a recent invention of the horse show world. The idea of field boots and a shadbelly (or any black coat) would make any traditional turnout nazi explode in shock and disbelief.

Try not to confuse current horse show fashion trends with correct turnout.
    And to be really picky, neither are puke green breeches acceptable with a shadbelly, canary, tan or buff IIRC.