The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Gina lives on the west coast...there are 5 advanced courses up and down the coast,to get from ram tap to galway downs its around 12 hrs...to get to rebecca farms it takes around 24 hrs, and to get back east without flying the horse it takes around 3-4 days, for an advanced horse(or any horse) that is a lot of distance to travel and I think that she was saving her horse for the ones that matter.(like the olympics)..Those 2 have been partners for years and they know each other very well....

Gina accumulated her points riding one horse. Most of the other advanced riders accumulated their points on mutiple horses. FWIW

Exclamation the basicmaterialsare missing ,

hardened riders exceptional horses

I wish we we had an "outpost " in England where we could send a few horses and riders to live,train and compete, as Karen and David did
    I'd say we need more riders with the right horses, always a need. I'd also like to see a bunch of our riders going to Badminton next year. They need more chances to ride internationally, and that means money for plane tickets.

greed!
    breeder of Mercury!

remember to enjoy the moment, and take a moment to enjoy and give God the glory for these wonderful horses in our lives.BECAUSE: LIFE is What Happens While Making Other Plans

Kanga, wish I'd been with you guys to pick up Gina. Oh well, next year (the fresh, fried veggies are on me!). Good luck this weekend.
    God is a comedian playing to an audience too afraid to laugh.

Voltaire.

Using only this Olympics as example:

First - coaching.
    The directive of any coach to the first person to go (whether it's a swimming, running or gymnastics) should have been - "go clean". Don't go overboard, just go clean and leave it to the anchor rider to take risks. If this was not the directive of CMP, he should be fired.

Second riding.
    The first rider should have gone clean at all costs. If the first horse/rider on a team can't control their ride enough to go clean, they shouldn't be on the team. period. Sure there might be mistakes that can't be avoided but this combo did not look like a combination that was riding to go clean at all costs. (IMHO)

Third leadership.
    The fact that the USEF took the blame for not informing Dutton of the rule change was completely lame. The chef d'equip should know EVERY SINGLE rule inside-out and upside-down. That's his/her ultimate responsibility. Where is the leadership when someone else says "oops"? Can you really say that you are doing your job when something like this happens?

Fourth Leadership.
    Isn't there a conflict of interest in the president of the USEF is coaching a foreign team?

Fifth Horsemanship.
    The goal of every equestrian should be to get the best out of the horse. Not to win but to get the best possible performance given what are the horses qualities and frame of mind for the day. Not every rider had that attitude.

These are of course my very humble opinions as I aspire to be a smurf and haven't yet made it to that level.

Quote Originally Posted by Dawnd View Post

First - coaching.
    The directive of any coach to the first person to go (whether it's a swimming, running or gymnastics) should have been - "go clean". Don't go overboard, just go clean and leave it to the anchor rider to take risks. If this was not the directive of CMP, he should be fired.

Second riding.
    The first rider should have gone clean at all costs. If the first horse/rider on a team can't control their ride enough to go clean, they shouldn't be on the team. period. Sure there might be mistakes that can't be avoided but this combo did not look like a combination that was riding to go clean at all costs. (IMHO)

Third leadership.
    The fact that the USEF took the blame for not informing Dutton of the rule change was completely lame. The chef d'equip should know EVERY SINGLE rule inside-out and upside-down. That's his/her ultimate responsibility. Where is the leadership when someone else says "oops"? Can you really say that you are doing your job when something like this happens?

Fourth Leadership.
    Isn't there a conflict of interest in the president of the USEF is coaching a foreign team?

Fifth Horsemanship.
    The goal of every equestrian should be to get the best out of the horse. Not to win but to get the best possible performance given what are the horses qualities and frame of mind for the day. Not every rider had that attitude.

These are of course my very humble opinions as I aspire to be a smurf and haven't yet made it to that level.
    Careful someone might think you were my alter...

It would probably be more of a conflict in interest for him to coach his own wife...

Quote Originally Posted by flyingchange View Post
    also - our upper level "elite" riders get, I think, used to mediocrity - at least in SJ - because they compete against each other, and only against each other, every weekend. And there aren't very many of them. And they compete over the same CDs courses. If they really want to improve beyond their current plateau, then they should get out there and do some REAL jumper shows. Get their asses kicked a little by some "no-names," and then perhaps the reality check would get them working on improving themselves and their horses by the amount necessary to be elite on the world stage.

Same for dressage.

They are all very used to being top-dogs and boy they are in for a rude awakening when they get outside of their comfort zone (the east coast of the US).
    I think quite a lot of them do. Several of our top event riders went to Florida to ride and show with Laura Kraut over the winter, and here in California, event riders regularly kick butt in straight dressage shows.
    If you are allergic to a thing, it is best not to put that thing in your mouth, particularly if the thing is cats. - Lemony Snicket

Quote Originally Posted by Dawnd View Post
    Fourth Leadership.
    I like your list, except for this one. One of the things I like about eventers is that they (generally) help each other out, and sometimes that means working against one's best competitive interest. E.g. the Chinese rider was coached in the UK by riders from NZ; now of course he isn't yet competitive, but someday he might be. And at the moment, I am desperately hoping that some BNT, preferably an American, takes on Pawel Spisak as a trainee. Not just because I'd love to see such eye candy in the US , but because he's such a sportsman, at a young age... and I suspect that with more training and support, he'd beat the pants off most of the really good riders.