The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 12 12311 ... LastLast

Default HBO Real Sports Story on Eventing

Good press release from USEA:
    http://www.useventing.com/aboutus.php?id=1581
    Sportponies Unlimited
    Athletic Thoroughbred crosses for the highly motivated, smaller rider.

The blurb from the HBO Real Sports website:
    Deadly Ride

At this year’s Summer Games in Beijing, one of the most glamorous and exhilarating sports is one you may never have heard of – equestrian eventing. Consisting of three competitions – dressage, jumping and cross-country – eventing is the ultimate test of total horsemanship. Amidst the excitement of the sport, the most challenging event, cross-country, has recently come under scrutiny: In the last two years, 15 riders and a dozen horses have been killed while competing. REAL SPORTS correspondent Frank Deford takes a closer look at this tragic mystery and talks to those in and around the sport as they look for answers.

Correspondent: Frank Deford
    Producer: Tim Walker
    Well, these are real issues they're talking about.

(FWIW, I'm a non-fan of Frank Deford, mostly because his reports have a tendency to lapse into melodrama. Too many violins for my taste.)

From the first para of the USEA press release: "This Tuesday, July 22nd, @ 10pm, HBO Real Sports will air its story on Eventing. While we certainly hope the story will be balanced and accurately portray our sport, we are concerned by the preview HBO sports put out late last week. The story is entitled "Deadly Ride" and features among others, an interview with a mother who has tried to force her daughter to stop eventing."

I guess you reap what you sow.

thanks pwynn- we will see how it is put together. lets hope it shows how much we as a group(eventers) really do care about our horses and our riders. and shows what we as a group are trying to do to make things safer and better for all involved!
    www.camaloufarms.com

ride it like you stole it! "ralph hill"

Thanks, PWYNN...........I fear David's interview as I don't have alot of faith in his public speaking skills. I hope hope hope this will turn out to be a positive show.....Is there anyone out there who can record it and post it here? I do not get HBO, as I'm sure is the case for many others-it would be a huge help to us

I assume there would be copyright issues with recording and posting from HBO, which is a pay service, without HBO's permission, but perhaps it may be available on HBO's website after the program is aired.

I really hope this report is a good one. And by 'good', I don't mean a favorable portrayal of eventing -- I mean an accurate account of the crisis in the sport. Not sensationalist, just accurate.

We're long past the point of puff pieces. And we're long past the point of taking the leadership of the sport at their word that they're doing all they can to make the sport safer. We have a equine and human body count that we can't ignore.

So yeah, I really hope that HBO asks the tough questions.

ESPN is also planning to run a piece on eventing. They interviewed me, among several others, but they feel that the USEF has been trying to avoid them, so they aren`t too pleased about that.
    If Watergate taught anything, it`s that if the press gets stonewalled, they only push harder.

Frank Deford is actually a fan of eventing, so hopefully he will give us a very fair and balanced report. Prior to the Athens games, he was interviewed by NPR. When asked what event he would most like to watch during the Olympics, he said the equestrian three day event. This guy's the publisher or editor of SI (or was...I don't read it), so he KNOWS sports. I will be very interested to see what he does.

Unfortunately, I don't know if I still have the capability to DVR.

Quote Originally Posted by denny View Post
    ESPN is also planning to run a piece on eventing. They interviewed me, among several others, but they feel that the USEF has been trying to avoid them, so they aren`t too pleased about that.
    If Watergate taught anything, it`s that if the press gets stonewalled, they only push harder.
    Well, Laine's blog states that she declined an interview with ESPN, but she did do two interviews with other news outlets. If I were ESPN, I would get the feeling that people are avoiding them also. I wouldn't be pleased about that, either.

Oh my, oh my.
    If you don't talk to them they will be deathly. You have to open up people who were contacted...???
    "Passion, though a bad regulator, is a powerful spring." -- Emerson
    www.eventhorse.wordpress.com

I'm DVRing it. I just looked at the description and it only mentions an NFL coach and women's gymnastics, but we'll see.
    Lindsay

Check out my blog at http://lindsayberreth.com

Now that it is out, I heard while I was at the selection trials that ESPN and HBO were part of the reason that the selection trials were closed to the public. I would feel avoided too!
    Last edited by eventrider; Jul. 22, 2008 at 03:45 PM. Reason: changed to take out the word rumors

Quote Originally Posted by JER View Post
    I really hope this report is a good one. And by 'good', I don't mean a favorable portrayal of eventing -- I mean an accurate account of the crisis in the sport. Not sensationalist, just accurate.

We're long past the point of puff pieces. And we're long past the point of taking the leadership of the sport at their word that they're doing all they can to make the sport safer. We have a equine and human body count that we can't ignore.

So yeah, I really hope that HBO asks the tough questions.

Well said! I agree 100%.

I think just as interesting is the preemptive dialogue from the USEA

So while we are a bit troubled by the sensationalistic title and description of the HBO story, we will withhold final judgment until after we've seen it. But we are prepared to respond vocally to HBO, if warranted.

We wanted to take the chance, as we come under the microscope again, to remind everyone that our commitment to safety is unwavering.
    This I cant say I have ever seen before an organization worried about publicity that hasnt even occurred yet. Its almost admitting, ok we have done some things wrongor not so well but we have some arguments ready just in case.

Hollowed out volcano in the South Pacific.

I hope it's a lengthy piece. I'd love to see the full interview and such.
    Thus do we growl that our big toes have, at this moment, been thrown up from below!

Quote Originally Posted by eventrider View Post
    Now that it is out, I heard rumors that ESPN and HBO were part of the reason that the selection trials were closed to the public. I would feel avoided too!
    If true, that sure is disappointing.

Default Spin Doctors

I have the sense that most organizations have a knee jerk reaction to try to spin problems in a favorable light, even when what is needed is an honest attempt to solve them.
    The so called Safety Summit wasn`t a very vigorous problem solving exercise, I don`t think, more of a quick bandaid attempt.
    Sooner or later, more will have to be done, but it would be better if the USEF/USEA, etc, did what needs to be done on their own initiative, rather than be pushed into action, "kicking and screaming" because of negative publicity.
    But that seems not to be the way of bureaucracies!

Quote Originally Posted by denny View Post
    I have the sense that most organizations have a knee jerk reaction to try to spin problems in a favorable light, even when what is needed is an honest attempt to solve them.
    The so called Safety Summit wasn`t a very vigorous problem solving exercise, I don`t think, more of a quick bandaid attempt.
    Sooner or later, more will have to be done, but it would be better if the USEF/USEA, etc, did what needs to be done on their own initiative, rather than be pushed into action, "kicking and screaming" because of negative publicity.
    But that seems not to be the way of bureaucracies!
    I agree pretty much there. Its just bemusing to me that the "kicking and screaming" part is being publicly announced.

Most well run organizations or businesses for that matter have a solid "S.H.T. Fan" plan. Normally they are kept well in truly under wraps till the time comes though. So reading between the lines I get the impression there is some inexperience there. Its fine to be transparent, but dont smother the egg all over your face yourself too soon.!!

Got it dvr'ed in case I fall asleep!