The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Default Andrew Nicholson's XC with Lord Kilinghurst

Am I the only one who was upset watching it? He appeared to be a very unsympathetic rider to me. It was very hard to watch. I feel very sad for that horse.

After his fall, he got up and took the horses reins and never even seemed to look at the horse or speak to him.

I'm with you on this one!

I was IM'ing a friend while watching it (she didn't have access) saying,
    "He's flying."
    "He's going REALLY fast."
    "Oh, and there he crashed."

I was also bug-eyed at WFP's last few fences.
    Take Your Equestrian Business to the Next Level: http://www.mythiclanding.com/
    Follow me at http://mythiclanding.blogspot.com or http://twitter.com/mythiclanding

That team has been together a LONG time. To me it looked like he had the spurs in the horse at every stride and was really gunning for time. The horse just ran out of gas two from home, but what a brave boy.
    Click here before you buy.

This is a business to Andrew and he is not the warm and fuzzy sort with his horses.

I don't fault anybody for not being "warm and fuzzy" with their horses, LOL. But I do have a problem with running a horse into the ground - pushing on an exhausted horse - isn't that one of the definitions of cruelty in the USEF and FEI rules? It was very sad when he fell because the fall wasn't from the horse being improperly placed, the horse was just so tired that he couldn't jump it, but he tried anyway. you can be a professional and run a horse business and still be a horseman. I did not see that in his ride yesterday.

what do I know though. I'm just a backyard redneck horseowner and rider.

Its too bad, because I used to love his books and watching him in the old Bad/Burghley vids....he has changed. He also has lost his stickability. Boo. His horse was pooped

Quote Originally Posted by flyingchange View Post
    what do I know though. I'm just a backyard redneck horseowner and rider.

I am "goldmedalwinning" name dropper.....good to meet you.

nice to meet you too! I'll show you around the local Culpeper Walmart sometime and you can fill me in on all the gossip over PBRs in the truck on the way over ....

Lord Killinghurst never looks very good out there. I've seen him go in person several times and he's just not an attractive competitor. But he is successful and has been for a long time.

Andrew N. was trying to salvage a bad day for NZ. If you read this article, you'll see what he was up against.

This Olympic campaign has been put together on what NZEF chief executive Jim Ellis calls "buttons": a total of $525,000 which mostly goes to high performance coaching and support.

If New Zealand could have managed a medal in the three-day event, which looked highly improbable ahead of the show jumping phase early this morning (NZ time), Ellis estimated he could have justifiably asked Sparc for a lot more funding in the lead-up to the London 2012 games.

So he, more than anyone, knows how costly Nicholson's fall has been.

"The more it's been analysed, those tactics were right and there's no criticism of Andrew at all," Ellis said.

Quote Originally Posted by JER View Post
    Lord Killinghurst never looks very good out there. I've seen him go in person several times and he's just not an attractive competitor. But he is successful and has been for a long time.

To andrew's credit, he has done far more than what was expected of this horse. He certainly was nothing special when Owen Moore had him.

I wanted to say something about it yesterday after I watched.

I read all the Amy bashing before I saw the footage.

To me, Andrew did a far worse job then Amy.

I watched and saw Amy flying around getting a little over her head to say the least.
    She gave that horse 3 or 4 good checks, saw the spot and let him roll towards it. We all know that our coaches scream to us...get out of the way!! fix it in the turn and then get out of the flippin way! I didn't think the spot looked too small for the caliber of horse out there. He just missed with a knee. He was a bit flat and missed. Bet he'll slow down and pay a little more attention to her half halt next time.

Then here comes Andrew. Balls for the wall. If he had just asked for three instead. Three strides would have gotten it done and it was apparent that's what he needed after he landed off the fence on the turn. Take the long way or add. DUH!

And then Karen. OMG. geez. why so dramatic all the time? Have to make the crowd gasp by almost falling off. I was wondering why she didn't pull her, "let me hang from my stirrup bit" again so that she could climb back on by the seat of her pants and everyone can spend the next month talking about how great a rider she is....

I even saw Lucinda Fredricks have a scary fence or two. You can't expect to have 100% perfect spots. But you can prepare yourself and your horse to be as fit as possible the get out of those situations.

But we all get caught up in the moment.

Now Mary King. Amazing. She was freakin amazing. A little overly concerned on that two stride off set and kept his head up a little too much but she stuck to her guns and her horse was cool. solid as a rock. amazing.

Nice brain fart with Becky. That's my move. made me giggle a little.
    http://kaboomeventing.com/
    http://kaboomeventing.blogspot.com/
    Horses are amazing athletes and make no mistake -- they are the stars of the show!

Perhaps they can convince Toddy to stick with it another 4 years...

Mary King has had her fair share of bad rides too

They all have the good the bad, most have mostly good with the odd bad. It's when its the opposite you gotta start to worry...

Quote Originally Posted by shea'smom View Post
    After his fall, he got up and took the horses reins and never even seemed to look at the horse or speak to him.

He was right at the end of the course with a very HOT horse...in hot humid conditions. He looks like he is trying to get him off the course fast and into the cooling tents.
    ** The difference between genius and stupidity is genius has its limits. -- Albert Einstein **

Default It pains me to say I AGREE!!!!

I actually really enjoy Andrew's forward style on XC almost all the time. This time, however, I agree that he looked like he was amost singleminded about it - no matter what. Unfortunately, with the time penalties being that influential on XC I think the course ended up tempting some riders into poor riding decisions and Andrew's several near misses and fall were examples of that. Whereas forward BUT BALANCED riding and taking the straight routes seems to pay off with a double clear (or close) at Badminton, Burghley and Rolex, this course was different and may have brought out the worst in some riders.

Quote Originally Posted by clivers View Post
    I actually really enjoy Andrew's forward style on XC almost all the time. This time, however, I agree that he looked like he was amost singleminded about it - no matter what. Unfortunately, with the time penalties being that influential on XC I think the course ended up tempting some riders into poor riding decisions and Andrew's several near misses and fall were examples of that. Whereas forward BUT BALANCED riding and taking the straight routes seems to pay off with a double clear (or close) at Badminton, Burghley and Rolex, this course was different and may have brought out the worst in some riders.

So would you say...according to the staement that JER quoted...that the business of funding was the root of his decision to ride the course as he did.

Interesting. My daughter and I noticed the same "business like" approach. They didn't really appear much of a team, more like LK was a means to an end. And I was surprised he didn't even look at the horse's legs to see if they were okay. Nice little pat I suppose.

Was LK the one who has legs that go every which way when he gallops?

You could bet that if I fell one fence from the finish in that weather, I would be booking it to the cooling fans ASAP so the horse could be stabilized, not waiting around in the heat to ogle and pat my horse. That is the definition of horsemanship.

Quote Originally Posted by fordtraktor View Post
    You could bet that if I fell one fence from the finish in that weather, I would be booking it to the cooling fans ASAP so the horse could be stabilized, not waiting around in the heat to ogle and pat my horse. That is the definition of horsemanship.

That was my impression as well....he could tell by the horse being up and next to him that he was sound enough....the priority would be to get the horse cooled down fast....and in those conditions, that would be at the cooling tents.
    ** The difference between genius and stupidity is genius has its limits. -- Albert Einstein **

Yeah that was the impression I got too, also it looked like he looked over his shoulder and moved over a bit like he was worried about being in the way. And I as well read all the Amy bashing yesterday before seeing the ride, yeah it wasnt beautiful, but I would not blame Amy for the fall, I would chalk that one up to CRAP luck. The spot was a little deep, but the horse is really catty, and what turned him wasnt the leg he left (his RF) but his LF whicj he put down on the table. I was really surprised at A LOT of the riding out there, just looked sloppy, and I was surprised after seeing most of those rides that Amy was bashed SO hard, people were talking about the combination before hand, and how everyone was checking their horses coming down to the skinny, I did not see that happening, and what looked like to me with Amy was Poggio got a big spot to the first fence and the last thing she wanted to do was have a hold of his face so he would jump even further out of balance, and she did what she could and rode what she had out....thats life....I think the people that feel the need to talk crap about riders should start threads of there are that are the "I Hate So and SO" threads...I personally would appreciate the warnings