The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Road from Winter Training List to the Olympics

I looked back at the Winter Training list named in December and tried to reconstruct what happened to all those horses. 3 of the A list made the team, none of the B list, and the two horses that finished first and second at Rolex and made the team were not part of the training session.

http://useventing.com/competitions.php?id=1302

USEF Names Eventing Winter Training List

Updated: 2007-12-17

A Squad

Kristin Bachman/35/Lovettsville, VA/Gryffindor/13/Thoroughbred/G/Krisitin Bachman
    Missed Rolex due to injury
    Stephen Bradley/45/Leesburg, VA/From/14/Russian Thoroughbred/G/Charlotte Harris
    Named as substitute to short list in May
    Heidi White/42/Aiken, SC/Northern Spy/14/English Thoroughbred/G/Heidi White
    Not presented for final vet inspection at Rolex; named to team, horse injured in team training in UK
    Phillip Dutton/44/West Grove, PA/Woodburn/9/New Zealand Thoroughbred/G/Acorn Hill Farm
    Named to short list, then named alternate to the team
    Phillip Dutton/44/West Grove, PA/Tru Luck/10/TB/G/Ann Jones & Shannon Stimson
    Not named to short list
    Phillip Dutton/44/West Grove, PA/The Foreman/11/Thoroughbred/G/Ann Jones
    Named to short list, removed after splint injury in June
    Gina Miles/34/Creston, CA/McKinlaigh/13/ISH/G/Thomas Schulz & Laura Coats
    Made the Olympic team (withdrew Rolex before dressage)
    Bonnie Mosser/45/Unionville, PA/Merloch/10/Thoroughbred Cross/G/Bonnie Mosser
    21st at Rolex, named as substitute to short list in May, then named to short list to replace The Foreman, then named alternate to team, horse injured in team training in England
    Karen O'Connor/49/The Plains, VA/Theodore O'Connor
    6th at Rolex; Teddy died in freak accident at home barn
    Karen O'Connor/49/The Plains, VA/Mandiba/8/Irish Sport Horse/G/Joan Goswell
    Did not run Rolex; named alternate to the team, thenmade the team as replacement for Northern Spy
    Karen O'Connor/49/The Plains, VA/Hugh Knows/11/Irish Sport Horse/G/Jacqueline Mars
    Withdrawn before stadium at Rolex
    Amy Tryon/37/Duvall, WA/Poggio II/15/Thoroughbred/G/Mark Hart
    Did not run Rolex; named to the team

B Squad

Laine Ashker/23/Crozier, VA/Frodo Baggins/12/New Zealand TB/G/Laine Ashker
    Horse died and rider injured after Rolex jumping accident
    Stephen Bradley/45/Leesburg, VA/Brandenburg's Joshua/12/TB/G/Southern Edition Farm
    4th at Rolex; Named to short ilist in May, abcess at mandatory outing at The Fork
    Jan Byyny/40/Purcellville, VA/Syd Kent/9/New Zealand TB/G/ Jan, Jo and Richard Byyny
    ?
    Darren Chiacchia/43/Ocala, FL/Better I Do It/14/Swedish Warmblood/G/Adrienne Iorio
    Rider injured jumping another horse at Red Hills
    Darren Chiacchia/43/Ocala, FL/Windfall 2/15/Trakehner/Stallion/Timothy Holekamp
    Rider injured jumping another horse at Red Hills
    Mara Dean/34/Round Hill, VA/High Patriot/9/Oldenburg/G/Irish Oaks Farm
    Did not compete at Rolex
    Will Faudree/26/Southern Pines, NC/Antigua/18/Australian Thoroughbred/G/Will Faudree
    Named to short list
    Jon Holling/30/Ocala, FL/Direct Merger/11/Thoroughbred/G/Janet Olsen
    Horse died on course at Red Hills
    Clark Montgomery/26/Bryan, TX/Up Spirit/8/Irish Sport Horse/G/Carol Montgomery
    Did not compete Rolex; named as substiture to short list in May
    Kim Severson/34/Keene, VA/Tipperary Liadhnan/10/ISH/G/Elizabeth Wachtmeister
    5th at Rolex, named to short list in May
    Allison Springer/33/Marshall, VA/Arthur/8/Irish Sport Horse Cross/G/Allison Springer
    13th at Rolex
    Amy Tryon/37/Duvall, WA/Coal Creek/7/Thoroughbred/G/Kathryn Sullivan
    Did not compete Rolex
    Amy Tryon/37/Duvall, WA/Leyland/7/Thoroughbred/G/Elisabeth Nicholson
    Did not compete Rolex
    Jennifer Wooten/29/Buellton, CA/The Good Witch/11/Irish Sport Horse/M/Daisy Tognazzini
    7th at Rolex, Named as substitute to short list in May, did not make team or alternate

Not on the Winter Training List
    Buck Davidson with BallyNoe Castle RM
    Named to short list in May, named as alternate and traveled to England
    Phillip Dutton and Connaught
    Won Rolex, named to Olympic Team
    Becky Holder with Courageous Comet
    Second at Rolex, named to Olympic Team

Final Olympic Team:
    Phillip Dutton
    Becky Holder
    Gina Miles
    Karen O'Connor
    Amy Tryon

Can anyone fill in the background on some of the others? What happened to Jan? Which other horses were eliminated from contention due to injuries?
    Last edited by Badger; Aug. 11, 2008 at 03:22 PM.
    Hindsight bad, foresight good.

Sorry, but I can't get my formatting (indents and bolds) to work and make this more readable. If someone else can quote it and reformat it, it might be easier to digest. TIA.

Syd Kent is injured.
    See www.SureFireEventing.com "News"
    Last edited by Dressage62; Aug. 11, 2008 at 02:25 PM. Reason: Can't type!
    Who rides the tiger cannot dismount

I believe Syd Kent and Jan are back and competing - they just got 3rd in Advanced at Millbrook - http://www.millbrookhorsetrials.com/...2008%20MHT.htm
    Last edited by GreyDun; Aug. 11, 2008 at 02:29 PM. Reason: grammar - whoops
    Cady O' Daly Farm
    Connemara Sport Horses & Field Hunters

Bright Horse Communications - PR & Marketing

Thanks for the update!
    Glad to see they're back!
    Who rides the tiger cannot dismount

So it looks like the fallout breaks down as follows:

Horse deaths:
    Karen O'Connor/Teddy
    Lane Ashker/Frodo Baggins
    Jon Holling/Direct Merger

Rider injuries:
    Lane Ashker/Frodo Baggins
    Darren Chiacchia/Better I Do It
    Darren Chiachia/Windfall

Horse soundness issue during the selection period (12/07 through 7/08):
    Kristin Bachman/Gryffindor
    Heidi White/Northern Spy
    Phillip Dutton/The Foreman
    Bonnie Mosser/Merloch
    Karen O'Connor/Hugh Knows
    Stephen Bradley/Brandenburg's Joshua
    Jan Byyny/Syd Kent

Horse lacked international experience:
    Kim Severson/Tipperary Liadhnan (horse green to level)
    Amy Tryon/Coal Creek
    Amy Tryon/Leyland
    Buck Davidson/BallyNoe Castle

Why were the following eliminated along the way? Should any of these be added to the soundness list?
    Stephen Bradley/From
    Phillip Dutton/Woodburn
    Phillip Dutton/Tru Luck
    Mara Dean/High Patriot
    Will Faudress/Antigua
    Clark Montgomery/Up Spirit
    Alison Springer/Arther
    Jennifer Wooten/The Good Witch

The Good Witch, Antigua and Up Spirit and Woodburn all took part in the selection process (Up Spirit from abroad).

Woodburn was named an alternated for the team, Antigua didn't have a good showing at the mandatory outing and, while The Good Witch did very well at the same mandatory outing, her rider apparently was told something to the effect of "Good job but, sorry, we want people with more international experience, come back in 4 years."

Tru Luck and From were both on the short list, not sure what happened to them except that neither was involved in the mandatory outing.
    I evented just for the Halibut.

Interesting retrospective Badger,
    I'm amazed at the casualties (figuratively and in some sad cases literally) along the way. I followed the ups and downs of the Canadians as a couple of friends were on the list. It was eye-opening, but not necessarily in a happy feel-good way. Those riders/horses go through a hell of a lot trying to get to the olympics.

Fascinating list. Nothing to add, but I'm very interested to follow what I hope will be an active discussion. Although I'm not exactly sure where the OP is going with this, it has the elements a great discourse.

I wanted to look back at this list after following the team selection process all year. It just seemed like such a high casualty rate and I found it sobering to see it spelled out. It demonstrates just how many obstacles have to be overcome just to get close to the Olympics, much less get to the games. I wonder if this sort of casualty rate is par for the course (remember when Abigail Lufkin had three short list horses in the run to Sydney and had all three self-destruct?) or if this year is an aberration?

Was the casualty rate similar back in the Le Goff era, when we had a completely different team program?

Denny, any insights?

Badger, thanks for the list. Really thought-provoking stuff.

I wonder how this compares to the selection lists in other countries like the UK or Australia. I know the GB team was chosen earlier and there were some substitutions, although the attrition rate was nowhere near as high as in the US.

Quote Originally Posted by JER View Post
    I wonder how this compares to the selection lists in other countries like the UK or Australia.
    That's a great question. Snoopy, any idea about the UK as you follow that lot?

I also wonder if the short format is an influence on soundness issues, as horses are running more often and don't have the traditional downtime after a long format three-star or four-star? But they also don't have as much conditioning pounding as they needed leading up to a long format.

Quote Originally Posted by Badger View Post
    So it looks like the fallout breaks down as follows:

Why were the following eliminated along the way? Should any of these be added to the soundness list?
    Stephen Bradley/From
    Phillip Dutton/Woodburn
    Phillip Dutton/Tru Luck
    Mara Dean/High Patriot
    Will Faudress/Antigua
    Clark Montgomery/Up Spirit
    Alison Springer/Arther
    Jennifer Wooten/The Good Witch
    Badger- I think you can add Jennifer Wooten and the Good Witch to the lack of international experience list. I believe that is what Jennifer said in her blog that they told her at the final mandatory outing at the Fork.
    I do not know for sure, but I would guess green to the level and youth may have been what kept Arthur out from the final considerations.
    I would put both these pairs on the ones to watch for the future list.
    There is something about the outside of a horse that is good for the inside of a man.(Churchill)

Tina Cook and Daisy Dick were both on the reserve list. They were moved up to the team when Zara Phillips and Lucy Wiegersma dropped out.

Lucy Wiegersma's horse, Shaabrak, had an abscess at the wrong time -- he was 100% sound by the time the team left and Lucy was very upset that the team wouldn't reconsider.

Quote Originally Posted by JER View Post
    Tina Cook and Daisy Dick were both on the reserve list. They were moved up to the team when Zara Phillips and Lucy Wiegersma dropped out.

Lucy Wiegersma's horse, Shaabrak, had an abscess at the wrong time -- he was 100% sound by the time the team left and Lucy was very upset that the team wouldn't reconsider.
    But there was no way to be sure when Shaabrak would be absolutely sound and I assume he lost conditioning time too, I agree with the team decision. And I think mentally its harder on the riders to keep them up in the air until the last minute as to which one will be going.

Also need to add Mandiba to the lack of international experience (wasn't he on the list?).

One thing we need to keep in mind, IMO, about the training list vs. what others do is that in Europe they are many, many more three AND four star competitions to prove their readiness.

No way we could ever have the same kind of process as they do across the pond.
    Sportponies Unlimited
    Athletic Thoroughbred crosses for the highly motivated, smaller rider.

Mandiba is on the list on the A squad and he made the team. He wasn't eliminated from a team slot because he lacked international competition, he made the team despite it.

Good point about the depth across the pond. I think it was Bonnie's blog that commented on going to a horse trial in England and finding there were 300 advance horses entered at that horse trial that weekend. Holy cow, I can't even imagine....

I also wonder if the short format is an influence on soundness issues, as horses are running more often and don't have the traditional downtime after a long format three-star or four-star? But they also don't have as much conditioning pounding as they needed leading up to a long format.

Apparently I am not qualified to expand on this subject.

And that is going to stop you?

In this instance yes...sorry. In order to expland I would need to name drop and that is tedious to some.