The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast
    Clarksdale, MS--the golden buckle on the cotton belt

Default Interesting article on the basis of horse anti-slaughter morality

"I'm a lumberjack, and I'm okay."
    Thread killer Extraordinaire

Wow. That's a new one on me! Interesting - thanks for posting that.

i dunno, that seems a little far fetched to me. makes more sense that most people are against horse slaughter for the same reasons as they'd be against dog and cat slaughter-these aniamls are pets, raised to trust and be companions for humans.

Although I don't doubt the papal edict occurred, I find it a little hard to make the connection to horse slaughter in the U.S., considering that France, a VERY Roman Catholic country, eats horse meat, as do other European countries that were originally Roman Catholic (although maybe not so much so today). Also, slaughter continues in Mexico, a predominantly Roman Catholic country, as well as Canada, parts of which are heavily Roman Catholic (French Canadian). The U.S. was never predominantly Roman Catholic (except in some parts) and only in my lifetime had its first Roman Catholic president (Kennedy) & his religion was a point of controversy during the campaign.

I do agree with the idea that we are transitioning in our relationship with animals & that the U.S. is on the cutting edge of that change.

I think the article is correct that those of us who grew up with a personal experience with animal slaughter feel differently from those that have never been exposed to the situation. I think you see a break along those lines (past experience) here on the bulletin board - look at who posts on which side of the slaughter issue. Yes, I grew up with the "hen doesn't lay eggs, Dad cuts off her head, Mom & I dip her lifeless body in boiling water so we can pluck the feathers more easily before gutting her & cutting her into pieces." I grew up with the "look at a piece of beef & ask 'who are we eating tonight?'"

I grew up knowing (from such a young age that I don't remember NOT knowing) that horses were sold for slaughter. It always amazes me that people post here who are shocked that horses are slaughtered - what did they think happens to the ones that aren't wanted? I would like to see the trip from auction to slaughter plant short & comfortable (which means I would like to see slaughter plants all over the U.S.) I would like to see slaughter humane & quick & certain. I would actually like to see slaughter ended eventually, but through education & rescue & reduced breeding, NOT through legal prohibition. I expect that education & rescue & reduced breeding could take quite a while to end slaughter.

Horses are pets to many people but theres also many their livestock to same as a number of species. In other countries dogs are also.Its a huge world thankfully not everyones the same.
    Quality doesn\'t cost it pays.

Quote Originally Posted by DieBlaueReiterin View Post
    i dunno, that seems a little far fetched to me. makes more sense that most people are against horse slaughter for the same reasons as they'd be against dog and cat slaughter-these aniamls are pets, raised to trust and be companions for humans.
    The connection may be weak or even unsupported (the article). But the notion of eating dogs or horses is not based on the status of the animal as a companion.

Heck - people keep saying the Native Americans had this horse culture and revered the horse, yatta yatta.... but depending on the tribe and the time in history.... they ate horse. And dog. Boiled puppy. A warriors favorite pony was sacrificed if the warrior fell.

Folks kinda pick and choose historical and cultural facts when it comes to their "beliefs". Combined with the fact that more people live in urban areas and are further removed from the natural world.... fewer "beliefs" have any basis in reality. A romanticized ideal becomes the norm. And woe to the person that reminds people that nature is red in tooth and claw.

Quote Originally Posted by Evalee Hunter View Post
    I think the article is correct that those of us who grew up with a personal experience with animal slaughter feel differently from those that have never been exposed to the situation. I think you see a break along those lines (past experience) here on the bulletin board - look at who posts on which side of the slaughter issue. Yes, I grew up with the "hen doesn't lay eggs, Dad cuts off her head, Mom & I dip her lifeless body in boiling water so we can pluck the feathers more easily before gutting her & cutting her into pieces." I grew up with the "look at a piece of beef & ask 'who are we eating tonight?'"
    I don't agree with your assessment. I was raised on a farm and we killed our own chickens and pigs. I helped slaughter animals many times as a kid. We also had ponies that we did not eat....nor did we eat our dogs and cats. Some animals were for meat and some weren't. I still feel the same way today. Right or wrong, I do not think of a horse as a meat animal any more than I think of a dog or cat as one. I have no trouble accepting that is not so in other countries but I cannot support the practice in the US and I honestly think that is where most people are coming from that are anti slaughter.

I don't see the big deal in exporting horse meat we export many species of meat why is it fine for some and not another just because some people here don't like to eat it?

Quote Originally Posted by county View Post
    I don't see the big deal in exporting horse meat we export many species of meat why is it fine for some and not another just because some people here don't like to eat it?
    The issue isn't black and white but muddled with alot of gray. People would be outraged if dogs and cats were being slaughtered too for export to the Far East. I'm sure people in India would not appreciate it if someone slaughtered cows in their country and exported their meat either. My only point is that I don't care what people do in their own country that is acceptable by their own culture and values (short of torturing animals to death as is done in China...that is sick) but why force that culture on another country that does not want it? It is pretty clear that the popular opinion in the US is to not slaughter horses, dogs or cats.

But not everyone in the U.S. culture feels its unacceptable to slaughter and export horse meat. If you don't actually care what a culture beleives in their own country why would you be against horse slaughter here. Except of course for your own personal beleif? To me its very easy if a person doesn't beleive in horse slaughter don't sell youyr horse that way. If your not against it then if you want sell them. Very basic same as any other species of livestock.

County..when it comes to making laws and electing officials, it has always been done so by vote and generally that means what the majority wants it gets. Laws impose others' morals on people. Some folks think it's OK to beat their wife and force kids to labor or torture kittens but the majority of people feel that is not cool, so laws were created to stop it. If you don't like the way things are done in America, you can always move elsewhere.

Quote Originally Posted by Daydream Believer View Post
    The issue isn't black and white but muddled with alot of gray. People would be outraged if dogs and cats were being slaughtered too for export to the Far East. . . . I'm sure people in India would not appreciate it if someone slaughtered cows in their country and exported their meat either. . . .
    Unfortunately, my understanding (from reading, not personal knowledge) is that throughout the Far East dogs must be beaten to death to be considered tasty food. I would have no objection to unwanted dogs & cats being exported as food, if people would eat them. However, I don't think the carcasses would be eaten because they weren't "properly" slaughtered. I definitely would NOT want to see living dogs or cats exported for slaughter; I would want to know the slaughter was humane.

Would we want starving horses everywhere as there are thin, starving cows everywhere in India? I think that would offend our sensibilities, too. And I'm not so sure there isn't cow slaughter in India, although I do think it is minimal. Supposedly, Indians are offended by our rodeos, have been for many, many years. I don't see rodeos coming to an end.

ROTFLMAO Ah yes the " well you can always move elsewhere " mentality. Once thats thrown out you know reality has left the building. No thanks I rather like living here and how you came up with the notion I'm going to not follow laws is beyond me unless you just can't think of anything else for your agenda. I see no place at all that I said laws should be broken. But beleive it or not in the history of our country there have been people that question things. I know that concept just floors some people but thankfully it happens.

Quote Originally Posted by Evalee Hunter View Post

Would we want starving horses everywhere as there are thin, starving cows everywhere in India? I think that would offend our sensibilities, too. And I'm not so sure there isn't cow slaughter in India, although I do think it is minimal. Supposedly, Indians are offended by our rodeos, have been for many, many years. I don't see rodeos coming to an end.
    I think rodeos are pretty disgusting also. Animal abuse for entertainment...good family fun....

We have had starving horses for decades and slaughter did absolutely NOTHING to stop it. It won't stop it now because the people who allow animals to starve are sick.

I agree with that DB same as people who starve cattle. Of course no one wants to ban the slaughter of cattle so why ban one and not the other?

You guys just made County's day! He hasn't had an audience for his same old, same old in a couple of weeks. Poor guy must have been sitting on his hands this whole time.

Quote Originally Posted by county View Post
    ROTFLMAO Ah yes the " well you can always move elsewhere " mentality. Once thats thrown out you know reality has left the building. No thanks I rather like living here and how you came up with the notion I'm going to not follow laws is beyond me unless you just can't think of anything else for your agenda. I see no place at all that I said laws should be broken. But beleive it or not in the history of our country there have been people that question things. I know that concept just floors some people but thankfully it happens.
    County....quit whining. Of course you can question things...that is totally American and one of our rights. If you don't like the way laws are made or go see if you like living in a totalitarian country better. If you want to enjoy you rights as an American and wish to reopen horse slaughter plants in the US, than get busy and get laws changed and make it happen. However, you are going to be fighting an uphill battle against popular opinion.

Quote Originally Posted by Laurierace View Post
    You guys just made County's day! He hasn't had an audience for his same old, same old in a couple of weeks. Poor guy must have been sitting on his hands this whole time.
    Yes, true...but I am feeling feisty this a.m. and I so sick of the whining from the pro slaughter camp.

I tried to read it, but it was hard to take it seriously when the first words were "the horse slaughter CRISIS". OMG a crisis! That makes it sound like the Cuban Missile Crisis... scary and dangerous...ooo!

No, the Pope does not control my brain. If we were all still doing things Popes said, we'd have no birth control and no premartial sex.

There are no laws against having horse slaughter plants in many states now theres no need to change any laws. Whining? That seems to be what your doing to me DB as usual. I know differant opinions on the subject drive some of you crazy but its just part of life. Or of course people can go live in another country!!! LOL