The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Is it OK to ask for help finding a racehorse breeder?

Hi everyone

Is it bad form for me to ask for help to find TB mare's breeder onthis forum? I'm asking because some industries have unspoken taboo's or even published rules that one could be unaware of if you don't move in those circles.

Could someone let me know if it's doable? My mare was born in 2002 in Ontario and raced at Ft Erie. I have more info on her such as her pedigree and tattoo etc but my priority is to try and find her original papers, starting with the breeder, who I can't seem to find...

Thanks v much in advance!

Are you looking for the breeder's name or do you have that and are looking for contact information?

If you know the name of the breeder and the state your horse was born in, the TB breeders organization for that state is a good place to start.

It's not taboo to ask but it's a big world out there and people get in and out of Thoroughbred breeding according to their fortunes.

I have successfully tracked down breeders and they have all been happy to hear their horses are still out there.

If what you're particularly interested in is getting your mare's papers, finding her breeder isn't going to help you unless the breeder is also the person who owned her most recently. When the mare was racing at Ft. Erie, her papers would have been there with her. Whoever last raced the mare is probably the person who has the papers.

Thanks for these replies.

What I was hoping to do was speak with the breeder who is on record and try and trace where her papers went from there.

I managed to speak with her trainer almost 2 years ago (a Mr Rodney Cone...I think...) who remembered my mare and as I don't understand racing claims and stuff surrounding that kind of thing, I only grasped that there was some ownership transfer kerfuffle and he was going to talk to her on my behalf. I made multiple attempts to call back and never ever got hold of him again.

Dead end.

She's an adopted girlie and the point of my heart and produced an outstanding warmblood foal who unofficially went premium at his german inspection but on his pink papers his whole dam line now reads as "unknown" since I couldn't provide my mare's original papers.

I'm breeding for resale so this seriously affects a substancial corner of my market base, as flakey as that sounds. She is in foal with her second baby (to warmblood stallion Apiro) and if she out-produces herself again this time with a foal like her first (I wish! )it truly will be a crying shame that I can't have them officially declared premium since she will remain in their auxillary books without her original papers, nor will I be able to register her foals properly. She narrowly escaped slaughter in a real "Cinderella" -type fairy tale so in a big way, it will also give me untold satisfaction by being able to complete the story!

I put together a page on tracking horses a while back:

http://theinsidepoop.org/modules/cja...ndex.php?id=14

There was a COTH thread over a year ago - this was essentially a compilation of that info with some embellishments of my own.

Seeing it will cost money and time to get duplicate papers, maybe offering that trainer a financial incentive might help track down the original ones.

May we ask what your mare's name is? I race at Fort Erie, and may be able to find someone who knows your mare and can steer you in the right direction. The papers might also still be in the race office, as your horse isn't that old, and I presume, hasn't been off the track that long?

Quote Originally Posted by mht View Post
    May we ask what your mare's name is? I race at Fort Erie, and may be able to find someone who knows your mare and can steer you in the right direction. The papers might also still be in the race office, as your horse isn't that old, and I presume, hasn't been off the track that long?
    Yes, certainly. Registered name is CINAMAZING by Waquoit o/o Casting Cinema.
    http://www.pedigreequery.com/cinamazing

And no, not that long off the track (Aug 2005...is that considered long?) She didn't race much as she started to bow. I have copies of her pedigree and tattoo verification from the JC as well as a fancy COP but no registration paper..

I don't know what the "Lasix List" is but she's on there too and it lists her like this:
    Name: Cinamazing
    Tattoo: F20433
    Date scoped - (what does this mean?) 21 Jun 2005
    Certificate from...(??)PA
    Date on Ontario: 09 Aug 2005
    Track on: Fort Erie
    Work/Race: Race

Does this help at all?

They scoped her on that date and she was found to have blood in her trachea so they put her on the bleeders list to allow her to run on lasix. Nothing to worry about.

Default Breeder

Her breeder is listed as Judith A. Hondzinski (ON), I will do a bit more digging and see if I can get a tel # for you but I think your best bet would be to contact whoever was training her last time she ran. I will run her race record and see where she ran last, depending how long ago she ran there is a small chance the papers are still at that track or returned to the trainer. I'll let you know whata I find out and will email you her race record.

Quote Originally Posted by JoJo2006 View Post
    Her breeder is listed as Judith A. Hondzinski (ON), I will do a bit more digging and see if I can get a tel # for you but I think your best bet would be to contact whoever was training her last time she ran. I will run her race record and see where she ran last, depending how long ago she ran there is a small chance the papers are still at that track or returned to the trainer. I'll let you know whata I find out and will email you her race record.
    Thanks but I did that already. I pulled/paid for her race records too and knew of the breeder Judith A Hondzinski but I haven't been able to find her anywhere (yet?) and spoke to trainer Rodney Cole who remembered my mare and offered to find out about her papers. As I mentioned earlier, I was never able to make contact with him ever again, save for that one time!

sorry - hasten to add this: I see now I mentioned that to another person but it was in repsonse to a pm!

I even tried to find Judith A Hondzinski through my mare's sire Waquoit's breeding farm. They politely turned me away and said they didn't know such a person. A long shot, but I still gave it a try. I'm afraid my own stone turning has revealed nothing more.

I remain SO greatful for whatever help anyone can provide.

Default Breeder

I emailed you what I found, let me know if I can help further. Good luck!

PA, where the State motto is: "If it makes sense, we don't do it!".

"Good gardening is very simple, really. You just have to learn to think like a plant." ~Barbara Damrosch~

GG, you still need to find the last registered owner, not the breeder. Whoever had her racing last at the track has the registered papers in their name. We definately had a trainer named Rodney (Rod) Cones here at FE. My husband use to gallop for him. He's currently at Northlands Park in Edmonton Alberta. If I am recalling correctly, Rod hasn't been back up this way since about the time your mare came off the track. I agree with what someone else said, the papers may be in the office at FE.

Yes, you're correct about needing the last listed owner so my strategy is to track down the breeder and work my way from there.

I have to say here that I am SO greatful for this help. I'm a lurker for the most part and often amazed how people go for the throat on forums but I could HUG every one of you to bits and pieces.

This situation has become a saga, and a mission incredibly important to me. I adore all my horses (x6) and they have different breeds/pedigrees and yet of them all, this mare's expression shows a depth of something so brave yet so heartbreakingly vulnerable, it makes me want move mountains for her. I really suspect it's that same something others have noticed which saved her twice from death. And she's only 6 years old.

I LOFF her madly.