The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedMarketplaceDates & Results
 
Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 124
  1. #1
    Join Date
    Feb. 27, 2008
    Posts
    74

    Default I'm getting kicked out of my boarding barn!!!!

    Sorry if this gets kinda long- Just need input, here is a little background info.

    Moved to a new area 7 months ago. Started boarding (Full care board with hay/grain included, stall, and individual turn out) at said barn because I knew the owner had a wonderful reputation as a horse person and professional. 1st 3 months- everything is going wonderful, horse is fat, happy, etc. Then barn owner takes job out of state and leases the barn out to another family who have not been in horses for very long and are a classic example of "don't know jack but think they know everything!"
    Ok- Fast forward 2 months- my horse is getting skinnier and skinnier (and he is a sausage that is very easy to keep) so I have a conversation with new barn mgmt. to please increase his hay to at least 3-4 flakes 2x a day.
    Now, lets fast forward 2 more months to present day: My horse has very sensitive skin and has been COVERED from head to toe with huge welts all over his body from bug bites. So I ask the barn mgmt to please leave my horse in a stall during the day for the remainder of the summer (since I am paying for this after all) and reminded them that he should be getting 3-4 flakes of hay when in a stall.

    Their response is that if I want him in a stall I am going to have to pay extra (on top of my premium price for FULL CARE board that I already pay) and that if I want him to be eating hay in the summer I was going to have to pay extra for that as well because our grass is so plush that they have adquate grazing (his field is nice and green but it is only weeds and food of no nutritional value)

    So I am furious at this point, mostly because A) They expect me to pay extra for what is already included in my board and B) because they made a DRASTIC change in my horses feed routine and did not consult with me before they made this change. Upon talking with the other boarders everyone is livid, and no one was aware their horses were not getting hay. So I sent them a very "to the point" e-mail explaining why this was not acceptable (oh and they were not feeding the hay because they are saving it for the winter, which by the time they start to feed it, the hay will have been sitting in a loft for over a year and a half- so this is not exactly healthy hay to be feeding) and even giving them the option of adjusting my board accordingly to exclude hay/grain and I will provide his hay and grain.

    Well, I get an e-mail today telling me that this is how they run their barn and since I clearly have a problem with this that I need to take the next 30 days and find another facility to relocate my horse to because we are not going to fit into "the standards" of which they want this barn to be run. As you can imagine I am LIVID on soooooooo many levels and to say the least- my horse is leaving tomorrow and "his bags are packed, he's ready to go"

    Any thoughts anyone? Ever dealt with a situation like this? I've always lived in a highly professional horse area and never dealt with such "morons" in my life. High quality horse care is something I've always recived at any barn I've ever dealt with and I have never experienced a situation where I feel like if I am not right there every second of the day then people are making drastic changes in my horses routine. At this point I consider myself lucky that my FEI dressage horse did not colic, or worse!



  2. #2
    Join Date
    Jan. 17, 2008
    Location
    Trails and woods
    Posts
    1,585

    Default

    I can offer no advice, but Good Luck. I too would be furious. I can't believe it. Let us know how it goes.



  3. #3
    Join Date
    Jun. 21, 2008
    Posts
    1,692

    Default

    I think you are very lucky to have found out all this and are leaving. While the B.O is not very nice, this is probably the best outcome for you....



  4. #4
    Join Date
    Feb. 16, 2008
    Posts
    959

    Default

    this is the main reason I do only partial board..so that I know what feed/hay my horse is getting every day, when he is turned out, and that I, or my mother, are the only people caring for him. I know his schedule, when and what he is fed, and take care of all of that..all we need to worry about is that his feed/hay is set up for his breakfast, lunch and dinner for whoever is feeding that day/night. (I should add I am lucky enough to have my mother as the asst barn manager and is only 5 minutes from the barn where I keep him)



  5. #5
    Join Date
    Jun. 27, 2002
    Location
    Texas
    Posts
    5,137

    Default

    Hand them a copy of "Horses for Dummies" on your way out, as you smile sweetly....



  6. #6
    Join Date
    Apr. 15, 2004
    Location
    Sunny Sonoma, CA
    Posts
    1,292

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by flypony74 View Post
    Hand them a copy of "Horses for Dummies" on your way out, as you smile sweetly....
    Oh that's hilarious!

    I feel for the horses that stay behind. Yours is lucky that you are such a good owner. You are definitely in the right here.
    Founding Member of "I Kept 'Off Topic Day!' Open"



  7. #7
    Join Date
    Nov. 26, 2003
    Location
    NE FL
    Posts
    6,478

    Default

    Why did you have to wait for them to kick you out if your horse was losing weight and you were not getting the services you were paying for? I think I would have already at least been looking, and probably been gone awhile ago.
    "Perhaps the final test of anybody's love of dogs is their willingness to permit them to make a camping ground of the bed" -Henry T. Merwin



  8. #8
    Join Date
    Feb. 23, 2008
    Posts
    391

    Default

    I would be glad to be out of that place. I would send a note to all the fellow boarders and let them know what is happening. I would also let the lady who owns the place know what's going on, I suspect she would not be happy to find this out.



  9. #9
    Join Date
    Aug. 11, 2003
    Posts
    3,589

    Default

    3-4 flakes x2 per day is a pretty decent amount of hay. Even in the winter, our guys only get 2 flakes x 2 per day plus their grain.

    What does your actual contract say with respect to the quantity of hay, grain and turnout. I can imagine if it says unlimited that you might have reason to be irritated, but I suspect that it states certain quantities and then you would have a right to request that quantity.

    I had a certain amount of sympathy until you wrote your last line "At this point I consider myself lucky that my FEI dressage horse did not colic, or worse!". I always find it quite amusing that someone feels the need to put their horse's qualifications into a thread about horse care, like there should be some immensely different level of care provided to horses depending on their capabilities.



  10. #10
    Join Date
    Aug. 25, 2007
    Posts
    7,849

    Default

    What does your boarding contract say about this sort of thing? That can make a difference in ensuring you get back any deposit or front money.

    Seems to me that leaving would be a Good Thing.

    Good luck in finding a suitable new location.

    G.



  11. #11
    Join Date
    Sep. 15, 2006
    Posts
    1,509

    Default Won't take long...

    Till they have an EMPTY barn and no way to pay the lease to the owner of the property. Bet it will come available again soon..
    " iCOTH " window/bumper stickers.
    http://bluemoongrafixva.webs.com



  12. #12
    Join Date
    Aug. 6, 2008
    Location
    Lexington, Kentucky
    Posts
    29

    Default

    Greetings; first time poster here.

    If you really want to go out with a bang, and the care for these horses is as bad as you say it is, you have some avenues to work with. First, if your contract indicates that your horse is supposed to be receiving "X, Y, Z" services, and in fact is not, you have foundation for a contractual failure to perform or provide.

    Secondly, and this is the best, contact the local humane society or SPCA office and let them know the situation. If it's really that bad, the negative press alone could be enough to really hurt them in the wallet.

    It's unfortunate that many farm owners/managers can get away with half-*ss service, but many areas of the country have limited "decent" options to choose from. It's not like we all have 5 or 10 acre yards to board our own horses on. To some extent, they know they have you over a barrel, because you either put up with what they give you, or you're out the door to find someplace new.

    If you are already on your way to someplace new, give them a nice parting gift and report them to the proper authorities. If you don't know who to contact, talk to your vet. They undoubtedly have that information available to them. If anything, the better business bureau is in EVERY city.

    Happy riding!



  13. #13
    Join Date
    Apr. 29, 2005
    Location
    Paris, Kentucky
    Posts
    3,195

    Wink

    Quote Originally Posted by Kate66 View Post
    3-4 flakes x2 per day is a pretty decent amount of hay. Even in the winter, our guys only get 2 flakes x 2 per day plus their grain.

    What does your actual contract say with respect to the quantity of hay, grain and turnout. I can imagine if it says unlimited that you might have reason to be irritated, but I suspect that it states certain quantities and then you would have a right to request that quantity.

    I had a certain amount of sympathy until you wrote your last line "At this point I consider myself lucky that my FEI dressage horse did not colic, or worse!". I always find it quite amusing that someone feels the need to put their horse's qualifications into a thread about horse care, like there should be some immensely different level of care provided to horses depending on their capabilities.

    Our adult horses get 3-4 flakes twice daily and they aren't in heavy work. The broodmares get more.

    And about the OP having an FEI dressage horse...........I certainly think that she was only pointing out that a facility of FEI quality would feed her horse hay without being asked.
    Holly
    www.ironhorsefrm.com
    Oldenburg foals and young prospects
    LIKE us on Facebook!



  14. #14
    Join Date
    Jul. 25, 2008
    Location
    SoCal
    Posts
    132

    Default

    Before the thread digresses.... a 'flake' is hugely variable. I've seen bales where a 'flake' was about 3 lbs of fairly low-protein, low-energy grass, to a 'flake' being close to 10 lbs of rich, leafy alfalfa. Saying 'flake' tells us nothing. Pounds of type is much more useful.

    Before moving to SoCal, my TB mare got 8 flakes a day which equaled about 17 lbs of forage. Down here she gets 3 or 4 flakes a day, which is close to 20 lbs.


    Continue on...



  15. #15
    Join Date
    May. 17, 2003
    Posts
    5,462

    Default

    Kate 66, "a flake" can vary hugely in size/weight. Sufficient is sufficient.



  16. #16
    Join Date
    Jul. 15, 2008
    Location
    Toronto, Ontario
    Posts
    371

    Default

    As long as there is access to food and water the SPCA can't do anything.
    CRAYOLA POSSE - Olive Green
    Champions aren't born. They are built little by little, day by day, with patience and love for the art. -Nick Skelton



  17. #17
    Join Date
    Sep. 15, 2006
    Posts
    1,509

    Default Yes, BUT....

    Quote Originally Posted by Angel Undercover View Post
    As long as there is access to food and water the SPCA can't do anything.
    What would the other boarders think, (or possibly do, like leave) if there was an investigation of the facility.
    " iCOTH " window/bumper stickers.
    http://bluemoongrafixva.webs.com



  18. #18
    Join Date
    Oct. 2, 1999
    Location
    Mendocino County, CA: Turkey Vulture HQ
    Posts
    14,082

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Kate66 View Post
    3-4 flakes x2 per day is a pretty decent amount of hay. Even in the winter, our guys only get 2 flakes x 2 per day plus their grain.
    If you read her post again, it turns out that the barn was not feeding her horse ANY hay. Which explains why he was losing weight.
    If you are allergic to a thing, it is best not to put that thing in your mouth, particularly if the thing is cats. - Lemony Snicket



  19. #19
    Join Date
    Jan. 12, 2007
    Posts
    4,227

    Default

    Chalk it up to Not every place is for everybody. Sounds like it's past time to move on.
    "If you don't know where you are going, any road will take you there"



  20. #20
    Join Date
    Jul. 15, 2008
    Location
    Toronto, Ontario
    Posts
    371

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by grandprixjump View Post
    What would the other boarders think, (or possibly do, like leave) if there was an investigation of the facility.
    There wouldn't be a real investigation. If an SPCA officer even came out, they would see grass, water, and leave. They would probably be there for about 5 minutes, and there's a good chance most people wouldn't even know that anyone from the SPCA is there.

    I used to volunteer for the SPCA and I also was on the other side of the fence when a barn I was at (riding other horses, I did not board there) had many dealings with the SPCA. Not one person ever left because of them, and very few people (if any) even knew that an SPCA officer had ever been there. Of course this is just what I personally have experienced.
    Last edited by Angel Undercover; Aug. 7, 2008 at 03:00 AM. Reason: spelling
    CRAYOLA POSSE - Olive Green
    Champions aren't born. They are built little by little, day by day, with patience and love for the art. -Nick Skelton



Similar Threads

  1. Boarding Barn, Lesson Barn, Show Barn
    By 7HL in forum Off Course
    Replies: 13
    Last Post: Sep. 28, 2012, 09:22 PM
  2. Which boarding barn, round two! Barn B or Barn D?
    By sublimequine in forum Horse Care
    Replies: 31
    Last Post: Jun. 19, 2012, 04:11 PM
  3. Boarding barn in NC
    By DottieHQ in forum Dressage
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: May. 7, 2012, 04:17 PM
  4. Starting a boarding barn, what to have in the barn (supplies)
    By cswoodlandfairy in forum Horse Care
    Replies: 17
    Last Post: Oct. 15, 2008, 08:14 PM
  5. Barn Owner kicked by my colt.... what to do?
    By Samotis in forum Sport Horse Breeding
    Replies: 12
    Last Post: Mar. 27, 2008, 04:40 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •