The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default How big is a 20 Meter?

Ok I am pretty sure I know this, but I just want to double check because I dont have a dressage arena. So if you ride a 20 M at E then your circle at the farthest out point will be the center of H and M on oneside and the center of K and F on the other?
    *Paige*
    ~*It's not about the ribbons, but about the ride behind it"
    R.I.P. Teddy O'Connor

No, that's too big. You want to end up about 3/4 of the way to that point on each side (more than halfway, how's that!), and of course, brushing the rail at B across from E.
    The big man -- no longer an only child

His new little brother

Alright. Thank you. I dont think I have ever ridden in a dressage arena! LOL
    *Paige*
    R.I.P. Teddy O'Connor

Wait a sec, I'm confused. Doesn't it depend on the size of the arena? As in, wouldn't the letters line up differently in a small vs. large arena? Or am I envisioning it wrong. Funny, when I'm actually in an arena I know where I am going just fine, but trying to picture it here I am missing something...

Quote Originally Posted by Rescue_Rider9 View Post
    Ok I am pretty sure I know this, but I just want to double check because I dont have a dressage arena. So if you ride a 20 M at E then your circle at the farthest out point will be the center of H and M on oneside and the center of K and F on the other?
    In a short arena?

You want to end up 4m inside those lines. Which is half way between E and the far end. Going right out to the HM line would make a 20m circle into a 20m x 28m oval.

H/M and K/F are 6 meters from the corners. You will be 4 meters away when you are at the farthest point in your circle (10 meters from X).

A good practice is to set up cones on a circle 66 feet in diameter at 4 equal points. Then ride the circle taking equal strides between each cone. This way no matter where you are or what size ring you will always be able to ride a true 20 meter circle. You will be amazed at how well you can feel if your horse is between the aids. Have fun!
    Last edited by horsecents; Aug. 6, 2008 at 06:26 PM. Reason: added text
    1. Bozone (n.): The substance surrounding stupid people that stops bright ideas from penetrating. The bozone layer, unfortunately, shows little sign of breaking down in the near future.

Default Found this website

Ok, I just found this website laying out the basics of "your first dressage test"

http://www.ces.purdue.edu/extmedia/4H/4-H-982-W.pdf

Very interesting reading by the way, lays everything out very nicely. It indicates that you are correct, you want the circle to come to between K & F and between H&M in a short arena (20mx40m). There are really nice diagrams on there laying it out. That being said, it would be different in a long arena. But I think most lower level tests are done in a short arena, so that's what this website is showing. Hope that helps!

Hmm, now I am confused again. Maybe the Purdue website I linked is wrong then. It shows H/M & K/F being 10m from the corners, but if they are really 6m then you don't want to be between them. I am so confused...

Look in your Fall Omnibus, page 31. On the right hand side of the page is a diagram of a small arena. On the right hand side of that diagram are the measurements for the placement of the letters.
    1. Bozone (n.): The substance surrounding stupid people that stops bright ideas from penetrating. The bozone layer, unfortunately, shows little sign of breaking down in the near future.

Take a look on Page 31 of the Fall USEF 2008 Omnibus and you can see a Standard and Small Dressage arena. These are measured out correctly.
    www.littlekentuckyfarm.com
    Thoroughbred Training and Sales

I don't have an omnibus. Can I get it online? Actually, I'll just go look now. Thanks!

OP, sorry if I hijacked your thread, when I saw your question it made me check for myself since I'm still new to eventing too. Good thing, too, lol.

Look at this link: http://useventing.com/resources/file..._optimized.pdf

It should have a diagram of the rings, look at Appendix 5

It even shows grid lines to help you with your figures.
    Last edited by horsecents; Aug. 6, 2008 at 06:50 PM. Reason: added text

You won't see a long arena until you compete at Intermediate, or do the Training 3 day or a *, **, etc.

H/K etc. are 6 m from the end. Not 10. This is true in both the long and short arenas.

His new little brother

Sigh, it figures that the first hit on dressage arena layout in google would be wrong, LOL. It just looked so well put together I figured it was correct. I actually found the layout on the USDF site once you all corrected me. Thanks! So now I feel like a dork, but at least it's only online right? And I honestly don't usually think about those letters on the wall when doing a 20m circle, more that the circle is round, we hit the correct spots when we come back to the wall, and the bend is consistent (or at least that's what we aim for, what my greenie actually gives me is often another story, lol).

Crawling back in my hole now

Hey, don't feel bad!!! How else are you going to learn these things??

His new little brother

the areana ill be riding in is 20 by60. whats that? lol and its ok that u stole my thread i need to know this too
    *Paige*
    R.I.P. Teddy O'Connor

You'll be riding in the large arena which is 66 feet by 196 feet. If you are doing a 20 meter circle at E or B, the furthest part of your circle will be 2 meters away from the S/R and V/P lines at the centerline.

If you are planning on showing and have never been in a dressage arena, I would suggest you ask around and see if any facilities near you has one set up so you might go and practice especially if you are use to riding in an open field at home. You can also get the feel for one using jump rails to set up corners and sides.

small ring is set up 6m 14m 14m 6m

large ring is set up 6m 12m 12m 12m 12m 6m.

So to answer your question you would never ride out to H and M or K and F on a 20m circle at E in either arena. Even in a large ring would would not ride out to S R and V P.

So since you are riding in a large ring see notes above. E is 12 m from S and 12 m from V. So your 20 m circle at E should hit 2 meters from the SR line and 2 meters shy of the V P line. Clear as mud?? opps Horse cents explains better than me.

OP, what kind of competition are you riding in? It's REALLY unusual for a lower level event to have a "big" or "standard" arena (20x60), but very normal for a dressage show at any level to use the standard arena.

His new little brother