The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 678

I am confused as to how any tb could be considered sport horse stallion material without ever seeing it? What exactly about this horse, bloodline or performance speaking, that screams "dont geld me"? Because there are probably less than five tb stallions in NA that could ever be approved with a top sport horse registry...what makes you think he is one of them?

And if he isn't, you won't get the quality sport horse mare base so then it would just be a matter of breeding him to pretty average, run of the mill mares and contributing to the problem that landed him in this rescue situation.
    www.svhanoverians.com

"Simple: Breeding,Training, Riding". Wolfram Wittig.

Quote Originally Posted by CurlyLindsay View Post
    Actually, she did this years before the rescue had her, and she wouldn't have come home on my trailer if I hadn't had a good look at her papers first.
    That begs the question, why did they not keep her then?
    Depending on that answer, you may or not be wise to breed her.

What that doesn't answer is the basic question if we want to keep breeding at all, knowing that there are already way too many horses and many good horses, that any one, no matter how good we may hope that foal may be, that foal will be displacing into a mature horse industry, that is not expanding, but seems to be contracting and so producing more and more unwanted horses.

These questions probably will be beside the point, as the way we are going, the animal rights have become such a behemoth, witness how the push against slaughter is going once they took a direct interest and participated in it with their donated millions, we will be soon losing our basic right to have domestic animals at all, strange as that seems looking from where we are today.

As HSUS President Wayne Pacelle said of his goal: "One generation and out. We have no problems with the extinction of domestic animals."

Quote Originally Posted by okggo View Post
    Not sure if that ramble made sense, but anyway. Oh, and really, why the personal attacks on WA? That seems so trite, if she had hard times and doesn't now, why rub it in her face?

Because rescued horses need to eat. If you can't afford to feed them without the help of other people's financial imput, you aren't really rescuing the horse.

Much kudos is heaped on people for taking on horses coming from less than fortunate circumstances. But often it turns out, the rescuers don't have the resources needed to maintain horses. Often ads appear on craigslist and other classifieds outlets, from people claiming to have rescued horses, but running out of funds to provide for horses, hence their need to find alternative arrangements for their charges.

An "out of the frying pan into the fire" situation for the horse.

WA assured readers of this thread she is fostering this horse, and is able to cover needs of this horse until he is placed.
    Last edited by Hoofprince in Mud; Aug. 11, 2008 at 10:53 PM. Reason: Seemed like a good idea at the time

Quote Originally Posted by Bluey View Post
    That begs the question, why did they not keep her then?
    Depending on that answer, you may or not be wise to breed her.... keep breeding at all, knowing that there are already way too many horses and many good horses, that any one, no matter how good we may hope that foal may be, that foal will be displacing into a mature horse industry, that is not expanding, but seems to be contracting and so producing more and more unwanted horses.
    The owner who got her in that shape had hit bad times in her life and was eccentric to start with (but deserves credit, in that the mare wasn't starved yet, just very lean and the owner had the sense to ask for help rehoming her) The mare herself has some behavioral problems- which is why she wasn't sold outright - but is pleasant to have around the farm and has absolutely proven herself through her offspring, IMO.

Secondly, and on a completely different point (and a point with which I will bow out of this thread) the mare in question is registered foundation with a particularly rare, particularly biologically unique breed, and even within that niche has a particularly valuable genes (in terms of how valuable genetic diversity is to rare breeds).

I consider myself a preservation breeder and am not ashamed to produce quality foals that will help ensure my breed, which was near extinct a few decades ago, will never come that close to dying out again.

We don't have a *horse* overpopulation problem, we have a stock horse, TB, and grade horse overpopulation problem. There are breeds struggling to maintain a viable gene pool and they are worth preserving.

As HSUS President Wayne Pacelle said of his goal: "One generation and out. We have no problems with the extinction of domestic animals."
    Actually if you consider any animal not living in the wild as domestic, we DO have a risk of extinction of domestic animals. Combined, there are literally dozens of horse, cow, pig, poultry, etc breeds that thrived in specific roles & specific niches during the heyday of small-acreage farming. Commercial agriculture has hybridized animals for mass production, breeds that didn't fit the needs of Big Business Agriculture are struggling against the danger of extinction and in many cases without "backyard breeders" would be extinct.