The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast

Default *SPINOFF* Breeding a "rescued" horse

Watching the thread about the 40 TB's that were "given away" by their owner/breeder, then they ended up at a killer auction, I was SHOCKED to read that it was one "rescuer's" intention to use a rescued stallion as a breeding animal, theoretically to breed to TB mares. Not wanting to derail that good-intentioned thread, I thought I would bring the topic to a new thread.

Why would anyone think it would be a good idea to use a rescued horse to produce more horses in an already overwhelmed market?

And why would anyone think it would be a good idea to use someone else's "trash" to breed ANY horses?
    "My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world." ~ Jack Layton

Well...good horses can end up in a bad place through no fault of their own. And a horse that doesn't make it on the track can turn into a rockstar in the sport horse world.

I think it's a little unreasonable to say "ANY horse that wound up "rescued" should never be bred."

I read that comment about the leading sire in Georgia as a joke. FWIW.

Agreed.
    Well, I wasn't actually shocked, per se, as the whole "got it cheap so why not make more" mindset is so common. I mean, fer cryin' out loud people, low-value horses come from low value horses.

Puts me in mind of the one time I checked out something on FHOTD, and the dingbat they were tearing apart that particular thread was picking up really low-end kill pen horses and then breeding them.... Like there aren't enough already.

big sigh.
    Homesick Angels Farm
    breeders of champion Irish Draught Sporthorses
    standing Manu Forti's Touch Down RID
    www.IrishHuntersandJumpers.com

Quote Originally Posted by hitchinmygetalong View Post
    And why would anyone think it would be a good idea to use someone else's "trash" to breed ANY horses?
    I have, over the years, "rescued" several TB mares and used them for breeding. I have them approved with WB registries and sell the resulting foals as sporthorses, not race horses. One of them was described as "quite possibly the nicest TB mare in NA" by an inspector. She has produced multiple premium foals. She was on her way to becoming a sandwich because she finished dead last and wasn't going to get any faster. Her circumstances have NOTHING to do with her quality. Just because she wasn't a good race horse doesn't mean that she is TRASH and shouldn't have been bred.
    Holly
    www.ironhorsefrm.com
    Oldenburg foals and young prospects
    LIKE us on Facebook!

Have you guys read anything about these horses? They aren't cheap horses with no value. The breeder was culling and just didn't want to be bothered with placing/selling so many horses at one time. <JERK>

What do you think they've been doing for the past few years? What did you think would happen to such a large number of broodmares and breeding stallions? Who did you think was going to step up to help? Do you think there are 46 people or rescues just waiting to get hold of a horse whose main job has been breeding so they can try to do something else with it? I think the reasonable expectation would include breeders as well as people who want a pasture puff or a performance horse!

I believe there are some folks here who breed TBs and sporthorses and this mentality could be interpreted as "do as I say, not as I do".... Should people only be allowed to breed horses that are purchased for a certain dollar amount or have certain bloodlines? Should those horses have a performance record? If a horse finds itself in an unfortunate situation, does that mean it should never be bred? What's the criteria that would make it okay?
    Y'all ain't right!

Isn't the reason that there are 40 horses to be rescued because they bred unwanted horses in the first place? Take two or three of those horses instead of breeding one.

Well, I think the rescuers situation is important too. I have not read the thread but sometimes people "rescue" horses because they are cheap. Can this person afford horses, breeding horses, and selling horses? Or would they become a backyard breeder who breeds with no purpose or goal? Do they know anything about stallion and mare selection? Intend on showing the stallion in hunters or dressage? Select performance mares? Are they financially stable enough to handle several horses and the expenses related to foaling out babies?

There are an awful lot of nice TBs out there and an awful lot end up in bad situations, I think someone that rescued a TB stallion has a huge hill to climb to make their horses special and that could take some money and serious knowledge.

Why do you suppose those horses were "culled" to begin with? Because they weren't producing racehorses. So why would anyone in their right mind think they would be worthy RACEHORSE breeding material?

Yes, I know people breed their rescues. I don't agree with it, as it seems to be a tad hypocritical. But they do it. But to breed any of this particular band of horses is truly beyond joking about. And the way I read it, it wasn't a joke. The person in question had researched the stallion's earnings and placed a value on him as a potential stallion in another state than the one he was originally standing in. Maybe it was done on a lark, but there were no "LOL's" or or to indicate that to this reader.
    "My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world." ~ Jack Layton

It depends. I could see breeding a "rescue" if the horse was of an exceptionally high quality and had simply fallen on hard times. But if someone is culling their herd, there is a reason the horses were culled, no?

nm
    Last edited by enjoytheride; Aug. 6, 2008 at 06:10 PM.

Just because they are being culled from producing racehorses does not mean they might not have value elsewhere.

I don't want to come across as promoting these horses for breeding, but I hate the blanket statement that "No rescued horses should be bred". Each horse is an individual and should be evaluated as such.
    Y'all ain't right!

Clearly these horses weren't producing good racehorses - so they shouldn't go back to that job. However, if one is of sufficient quality to produce nice sporthorses and has any paperwork necessary to register the foals- or gets approved in a WB registry, then I don't see a problem. Obviously though, the horse should be evaluated just like any other breeding prospect- need to have the desired build, history of soundness, temperment, conformation, movement, etc.

The problem is people breed just for the sake of breeding, or relax their standards because the horse is free.

Quote Originally Posted by MelantheLLC View Post
    I read that comment about the leading sire in Georgia as a joke. FWIW.
    It was totally a joke.

As I said on the other thread, I have not by ANY MEANS decided to breed the horse; will not be making that decision hastily.

Nor OTOH will I be making the decision to get him snipped hastily, either; that's a little too irrevocable for a horse I haven't even laid eyes on yet.
    "The standard you walk by is the standard you accept."--Lt. Gen. David Morrison, Austalian Army Chief

Quote Originally Posted by enjoytheride View Post
    I think that the poster proposing rescuing and breeding this situation was just in a very serious financial situation that caused them to move half way around the country and almost lose their horse so I hope that they give this very serious thought unless they were joking.
    I remember this person's terrible financial situation, too, so I read the "rescue and breed" scenario as a joke. (... heading back to the other thread to make sure it was joke ...)

Two Points:

1) People doing serious breeding are not breeding for the market as it is TODAY. They are breeding for the market as they believe (hope/pray?) it will be several years down the road when the fruits of their gamble are ready to enter the market.

2) Some people's "culls" are better than some people's best stock. Breeders looking to better their herd would be fools to pass up one of those "culls".

Actually there's a third point, but somebody made it already: One sport's "cull" is another sport's Superstar.

Quote Originally Posted by hitchinmygetalong View Post
    Watching the thread about the 40 TB's that were "given away" by their owner/breeder, then they ended up at a killer auction, I was SHOCKED to read that it was one "rescuer's" intention to use a rescued stallion as a breeding animal, theoretically to breed to TB mares. Not wanting to derail that good-intentioned thread, I thought I would bring the topic to a new thread.

Why would anyone think it would be a good idea to use a rescued horse to produce more horses in an already overwhelmed market?

How about, because in this day and age it isn't only "trash" that goes to a killer auction?

There will ALWAYS be a market for well bred, trained horses. There is too much BYB junk being bred.

WA has enough sense to decide for herself which one she ends up with, assuming she even gets the horse. With as much rescue work as she has done she will make the right decisions.....

And I for one thought the tee-shirt idea was High-larious!
    HaHA! Made-est Thou Look!

Quote Originally Posted by War Admiral View Post
    It was totally a joke.

As I said on the other thread, I have not by ANY MEANS decided to breed the horse; will not be making that decision hastily.

Nor OTOH will I be making the decision to get him snipped hastily, either; that's a little too irrevocable for a horse I haven't even laid eyes on yet.
    Thank you for clarifying that. As you can see, it wasn't read as a joke by more than a few people. When you refer to the GTOBA, it sounds serious.

Not funny.

Default I did

I had a breeding contract on my really nice WB mare and, although the initial breeding exam was fine, I could never get her to carry to term. So, I was specifically looking for a TB or WB mare that would cross well with the stallion for whom I had the breeding contract. I just happened to find her at a TB "rescue." I explained the situation and got permission to adopt her for that purpose. I also restarted her under saddle and got very nice comments from several dressage professionals about how a nice a mare she was. She also had a disposition to die for. As it would happen, I lost her at 12 to EPM. I do, however, have two lovely youngsters (the reason I have two is a long story) out of her whom I cherish every day. Sometimes I'm still sad that I could never get the WB mare to carry as I'd have loved to have had her offspring but, I'm glad I had Spence in my life and that I'm still reminded of her every day.
    Whatever you can do, or dream you can, begin it. Boldness has genius, power, and magic in it. Goethe

I'd like to see all stallions that go through rescue gelded before they're given out to adoptees.

Animal shelters spay/neuter all dogs and cats before they're adopted out, so why not the same policy with intact male horses? I'd like to see mares spayed too, if it wasn't cost prohibitive.

That way, the rescue/shelter knows that they haven't exacerbated the overpopulation problem by giving intact animals to adoptees. You take away the temptation before some folks even get it into their little punkin heads.
    Homeopathy claims water can cure you since it once held medicine. That's like saying you can get sustenance from an empty plate because it once held food.