The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Quote Originally Posted by Sparky View Post
    The quality of the horses and riders gets better every year, and I think the finals for the hunters and eq will be good. All bets are off in the jumpers however
    You weren't kidding, if the first 4 jumper rides are any indication . Working hunters were quite nice though... loved the girls in their shadbellies... who knows maybe that will be a new trend.

I'm watching the jumpers now... I feel like if you're going to be jumping however high those jumps are (3'6"?), you should be able to steer, and find a distance (at least... 25% of the time?)... and maybe consider taking a few lessons on how not to die... some of these are really scary.

Is this the finals for the jumpers?
    "Are you yawning? You don't ride well enough to yawn. I can yawn, because I ride better than you. Meredith Michael Beerbaum can yawn. But you? Not so much..."
    -George Morris

Quote Originally Posted by Sparky View Post
    Yay Sassy! The kids all decided this afternoon to wear their shadbellies in the working hunter class--a first for the world show I'm sure!!!!

I can visualize the officials diving for their rule books when the first shadbelly came in the ring. Bet a pizza they kabosh that before next year.

The feed quit working on my computer so I missed most of the flat and all of the fence classes. Sounds like the 3 H-J judges had a lot of input. There was extensive sitting trot and dropped stirrups in the flat eq. rail work.

I loved Melissa's previous horse, Movin Artfully, but I thought he was too extreme, A circuit style, for the QH judges. Sassy looks incredible in that photo.

Quote Originally Posted by Eyemadonkee View Post
    I'm watching the jumpers now... I feel like if you're going to be jumping however high those jumps are (3'6"?), you should be able to steer, and find a distance (at least... 25% of the time?)... and maybe consider taking a few lessons on how not to die... some of these are really scary.
    Like I keep saying, a real opportunity for junior jumper riders with Quarter Horses to go to a relatively inexpensive and fun national show and do well. The jumps are 3' 6".

Quote Originally Posted by Plumcreek View Post
    I can visualize the officials diving for their rule books when the first shadbelly came in the ring. Bet a pizza they kabosh that before next year..
    I should have said that they got the OK from Charlie H to wear their shadbellies--I'm sure there would have been much consternation from at least 3 of the judges--the other two would have just smiled. Shoot, why not wear them--they're for something special and this show is definitely special to these kids! I hope they don't stop them from playing dress up. Not when the WP kids compete in their $20k Vera Wang duds

Just wanted to add a big CONGRATS to one of my team mates, who just got Reserve World Champion in the jumpers! It's really too bad I missed her round...
    "Are you yawning? You don't ride well enough to yawn. I can yawn, because I ride better than you. Meredith Michael Beerbaum can yawn. But you? Not so much..."
    -George Morris

Agree, I think they should be allowed to wear shadbellies.

Vera Wang??? Our local mobile tack store owner and H-J competitor has switched from H-J emphasis to producing the bling outfits - much more income.

The winner video clips can be seen here: http://www.aqha.com/youth/activities...n08/index.html

I loved Melissa's previous horse, Movin Artfully, but I thought he was too extreme, A circuit style, for the QH judges. Sassy looks incredible in that photo.
    She still has Joey, but did a great job this year on Sassy. She is an incredible rider who is very fortunate to have some wonderful horses, QH and others.
    Proudly Owned By Sierra, 2003 APHA/ PtHA Mare

The winner video clips can be seen here: http://www.aqha.com/youth/activities...n08/index.html

Anyone see the winning working hunter round? The gray horse with the rider that also won the eq class...

That is the winning round? She had an "oh my god" jump on the long run oxer off the left. Am I missing something?

leelee, what you might be missing are the rounds of the 14 other finalists. It's just like any other horse show--she was the best that day. And I thought she was pretty darn good

Like I keep saying, a real opportunity for junior jumper riders with Quarter Horses to go to a relatively inexpensive and fun national show and do well. The jumps are 3' 6".
    Yes, but what I was watching was just flat out dangerous. Most horses/riders looked like something you would see at a local show in the 2' jumpers... except the jumps were 3'6".

Quote Originally Posted by Eyemadonkee View Post
    Yes, but what I was watching was just flat out dangerous. Most horses/riders looked like something you would see at a local show in the 2' jumpers... except the jumps were 3'6".
    That is the result of two main things:
    1) Very, very few QH shows offer the jumper classes, so no learning process available to strictly QH competitors, and no competition to qualify from most states. Most hunter classes in local QH shows are actually about 2'9" so when those kids try to do the World Show jumpers at a real 3'6" it is OMG! The lure of being on the team and going to the World Show is much greater than the reality of 'can I really do this'? No money available in the open classes so few pros bother.

2) A real jumper type horse is limited to maybe the Eq. Over for other classes to show in, as they usually do not have the soft round frame needed to cross over to the HUS or even Hunters and HH. So almost no real jumpers show.

The opportunity exists in states like mine, Colo, where an open show jumper kid need only join the AQHA and local Association in early Spring, and go to the ONE qualifying show to be on the QH World Show team from this state. Nice prizes and a good time at the show make it worth the trouble, plus the opportunity to practice under pressure for the future one-shot indoor Big Eq. finals.
    Last edited by Plumcreek; Aug. 10, 2008 at 02:07 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by leelee View Post
    Anyone see the winning working hunter round? The gray horse with the rider that also won the eq class...

That is the winning round? She had an "oh my god" jump on the long run oxer off the left. Am I missing something?
    Mystery solved: the AQHA put up several wrong videos, including the winner of the working hunter (the horse shown actually ended up 14th with the 'oh my god' jump) and the winner of the hunter hack (the one shown was on the wrong lead for quite a while). They were notified of the mistakes, and I see that at least one of the videos has been removed.

I just got home from the World Show and have to say that as scary as the jumpers were, it is a vast improvement from years past! I think more and more A-Circuit kids with QHs are realizing what a great opportunity exists for them at the world show. As Plumcreek said, there are so few QH shows who even hold Jumping, and even at those that offer it, the fences are rarely anywhere close to the height they will be at the world show. So it really is difficult for a strictly QH kid to get experience in the class without crossing over to the HJ shows. But for those showing the jumpers on the A Circuit, it's a cake walk.

The first year I watched the jumpers at the World Show was 2003, when my 12yo friend qualified in all the fence classes. She was last to go in the jumping prelims, and before she went, about 1 out of every 3 was a SCARY SCARY ride and probably 20% fell off. I was, naturally, terrified for my friend....but she proved me wrong by going in there and not forgetting how to ride. Over the last 5 years, the quality has improved tremendously. Only 1 fall in the prelims, I think, and not near as many that had my heart in my throat. Still quite a few horses dumped at the bottom of the fence, but we're getting there.
    Cowboy up.

Quote Originally Posted by SaturdayNightLive View Post
    Just wanted to add a big CONGRATS to one of my team mates, who just got Reserve World Champion in the jumpers! It's really too bad I missed her round...
    Awwww thanks!!! That means a lot coming from you!!!!

And thanks to everyone else who commented on my round in the Jumpers. (I went first in the prelims, 5th in the finals). I think you all are right that the quality of the jumpers have gone up since past years. I know this year that the kids who were 2nd, 3rd, and 4th have all shown quite a bit on the A Circuit and we all decided to drag our A show trainers to the World Show (even though they kicked and screamed most of the way!). I like how Mike actually made the fences a solid 3'6" in the first round, and put them up quite a bit for the jumpoff (most were 3'9" and i would guess at least 1 or 2 were 4'0"). Its the first time in several years I have seen him do this, and I think it was a reflection on the riders being slightly less scary than years past. However, I think there were still a lot of kids who were in shock even at the first round height, which just goes to show how the qualifying shows do so little to prepare the exhibitors.
    The results in the EOF and WH were very impressive as well, seeing as Melissa won both and successfully does the big A circuits on the west coast with a respectable trainer. To the comment about Movin Artfully, am I mistaken or was he not a SuperHorse at the Open World Show in past years as well as a multiple World and Reserve World Champion? To say that he is too A show like for the Quarter Horses might be inaccurate, seeing as he won everything on the Quarter Horse circuit before moving on to being an extremely successful A show hunter.
    However, I still think the quarter horses are making a turn in the right direction even if they are using 50 lb tails. It is nice to see actual hunter judges for a change, and even seeing some impact on the placings of the classes.

Quote Originally Posted by QHJumper1010 View Post
    The results in the EOF and WH were very impressive as well, seeing as Melissa won both and successfully does the big A circuits on the west coast with a respectable trainer. To the comment about Movin Artfully, am I mistaken or was he not a SuperHorse at the Open World Show in past years as well as a multiple World and Reserve World Champion? To say that he is too A show like for the Quarter Horses might be inaccurate, seeing as he won everything on the Quarter Horse circuit before moving on to being an extremely successful A show hunter.
    Yes, he has multiple championships in the hunters and even driving. It's great that he can cross over from the QH circuit to the A circuit so successfully, so it shouldn't be held against him, it simply shows that he can be very versatile.

Default judges for over fences

Patti Campbell used to work for Jerry Erickson so I bet she knows something about the over fences!

Additionally, at least two of the A circuit trainers who schooled the jumpers are also USEF judges. They both provided timely feedback to AQHA at the World Show about how the over fences classes were being run,etc. I believe that if AQHA is taking the hunter over fences classes seriously, they must continue to evolve to a standard that is shared by both worlds. Otherwise, the AQHA over fences kids will continue to be at a disadvantage relative to any scholarships offered by schools that participate in the NCAA equestrian program.
    Last edited by micwrigh; Aug. 11, 2008 at 09:46 AM. Reason: wanted to add more content
    micwrigh
    argyle, tx

DidleyZip Guest

Talking Update

Just an update to those interested. Melissa came home after the Youth World Show and won the West Coast Junior Hunter Finals on her horse Best Man. Yeah Melissa!!!

Quote Originally Posted by DidleyZip View Post
    Just an update to those interested. Melissa came home after the Youth World Show and won the West Coast Junior Hunter Finals on her horse Best Man. Yeah Melissa!!!
    Another great show for her! She is a wonderful and very versatile rider, shows AQHA one day, A circuit the next... Good Job Melissa!