The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Sparky View Post
    dcm, we bought her from looosssie sight unseen, from a short youtube video. She's been a delight from the minute she walked off the trailer.
    That is so cool, Sparky. Not only is Sassy very special, but looosie is a total love, too.

Agreed--I've only talked to her on the phone and on-line, but I know Sassy's sweetness and work ethic are the result of her being trained and loved by looossie.

Quote Originally Posted by Sparky View Post
    A little trivia: Plumcreek, number 414, She's Got The Blue, was in our barn last year, and was Pre Green champ one week at one of the Colorado shows. She was sold to a young lady from California who shows her very successfully in the small juniors. She's made the finals of the eq over at the AQHYA show, and in a few minutes we'll find out if she returns for the working hunter finals--she seemed to have a pretty nice trip, but I can't hear rubs on the webcast, and we know that can be a big deal
    That's my friend- rides at the same barn. We are all wishing her good luck!
    Proudly Owned By Sierra, 2003 APHA/ PtHA Mare

And the tail thing....fifty pounds of fake tail make the tail seem more "packed" ...still...it looks weird to me...I was afraid the tails would pull the jumps down!! My friends daughter got called back in the eq but not the hunters in spite of a good round....I showed QHs in the 70 and 80 and still don't "get" what they are looking for......although it has gotten better. "Real" judges help but they toss out high and low then average the rest so that can backfire on the more knowledgeable judges and you still get an average of the "cowboy" judges.. at least they try to make it fair. Can not stand the four beating peanut rollers that look like the end of the trail.....ears lower than withers? TOSS them out of the ribbons...but they dont.
    The thing about smart people, is they look like crazy people, to dumb people.

Default What are they looking for?

any body out there understand what wins??? could you explain it to us in the H/J world....it is so different.
    "Over the Hill?? What Hill, Where?? I don't remember any hill!!!" Favorite Tee Shirt

Hey claudius---lots of times, what wins is a mystery to those of us who do this all the time! If the judges have some hunter knowledge, they will pretty much reward what you're used to seeing: a nice flowing round, the right distances, a nice jump, and a correct track. If they have less experience, they will be really tough on a rub, no matter how slight, and a late lead change will be important, as will any playing or tail wringing on the part of the horse. The quality of the horses and riders gets better every year, and I think the finals for the hunters and eq will be good. All bets are off in the jumpers however

And those finals will be this afternoon (Saturday) starting early afternoon with WP (for those who want to see what frame is winning now) then HUS and flat Eq. (ditto), then all the fence classes. 3 Year old geldings are in as I type this.

7:17 PM - looks like they are setting up the jumps.

I see a tractor
    To be loved by a horse, or by any animal, should fill us with awe-
    for we have not deserved it.
    Marion Garretty

EQ O/F has started and a pretty cool and demanding course!

Default EQ Over Fences

The girl that won on Shes Got the Blue had an awesome round, it was the first go and knew she'd win. The third place horse is a horse I used to work soem for the breeder owner who sold him a little over a year ago, 2000 Model Te was cool to see him again he was a super cool hrose!!!
    Last edited by shawneeAcres; Aug. 9, 2008 at 09:27 PM.

Yay Sassy! The kids all decided this afternoon to wear their shadbellies in the working hunter class--a first for the world show I'm sure!!!!

I would love to have a Skys Blue Boy youngster. The live feed is a little skippy, it's hard to see how well these horses are jumping. Are there any stallions that pass along jumping talent?

Shes Got the Blue is just adorable. Is the rider tall or is the horse just the perfect size for jumping (and me)? A lot of those horses were beautiful movers, but some seemed to have a hard time getting their knees up when they were ridden to the base of the jump.

Great job Sassy and Melissa!!!!
    Proudly Owned By Sierra, 2003 APHA/ PtHA Mare

What an amazing double for both girls!

congrats to TWO world championships Melissa and Sassy!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Flash44 View Post
    Shes Got the Blue is just adorable. Is the rider tall or is the horse just the perfect size for jumping (and me)? A lot of those horses were beautiful movers, but some seemed to have a hard time getting their knees up when they were ridden to the base of the jump.
    sassy is about 15.31/2 and Melissa is tall. Here is a pic of them showing in CA

http://www.rickosteen.com/dmjumper/5.../471-3508.html

You're right--she's adorable!

MY GOD can that mare jump!! You could not see that in the live feed but her EQ round was SO SO smooth, she defintely did the best with the three rollbacks there at the end, like a serpentine! She is a good rider and a nice nice horse, congrats again!!
    Last edited by shawneeAcres; Aug. 9, 2008 at 10:10 PM.

Congrats to Sassy and her cute rider Melissa. They looked really great in both rounds!