The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by DMK View Post
    Note to self - 50 pounds of fake tail NOT braided in is REALLY distracting for a hunter person to watch. 50lbs braided in is still distracting in its own way but not nearly so mesmerizing...
    Believe it or not, I don't think those are fake tails! I think QH people use tail bags and trim the bottom to get that really full look!

Quote Originally Posted by Plumcreek View Post
    I thought that name sounded familiar. I have only watched sporadically, but the overall quality of horses/riders seems much improved. Sparky, seems Tommy McIntyre is still in due dilligence phase on High Prairie.

The High Prairie developments are so exciting--I'd spend a lot more time there if he were running things!

Quote Originally Posted by ClearviewFarm View Post
    Believe it or not, I don't think those are fake tails! I think QH people use tail bags and trim the bottom to get that really full look!
    Nope--they're fake, although we h/j people would be delighted with their real tails, but they don't seem to be enough for the AQHA folks.

I'd say 70% are fake. Since the fakes became legal, most people have gotten lazy about the time and care a real long full tail takes, but some still have the goods and take the time.

Quote Originally Posted by Sparky View Post
    The High Prairie developments are so exciting--I'd spend a lot more time there if he were running things!

Whether it happens or not, the Spring and Fall dates and shows are still owned by Larry Langer. High Prairie owns the summer shows and dates.

Edit to correct my earlier post:
    J1AVID J CONNORS J2:LYNN PALM J3:SHAINA HUMPHREY
    J4:PATTI CAMPBELL J5:TINA ANDERSON
    The first three judges are solid H-J people, do not know about the expertise of the last two.

Tuned in just in time to catch the first jumping prelim!

Quote Originally Posted by Aubreyyy View Post
    Tuned in just in time to catch the first jumping prelim!
    And I think the first rider, with clean round, is the daughter of a COTH member.

ohh, some of these are scary

Love that one horses name... Raise Yalls Hands

Haha... it made me laugh...

I've always heard that QH judging depends a lot on breeding. Is that so? Like if that horse's sire was.........he's sure to get a good placing. Hence, they keep the best names in their papered name.

Just got back to the office from watching the jumper prelims. Nice course that wasn't too easy and asked a few questions. I saw a few good rounds (including the first go which was impressive) but lots of rounds where they were either way too fast and dumped on their front ends or too slow and not enough impulsion and leg to get over the fences. But I did see a few rounds that were very nice. May have to wander back to the city to watch the finals Saturday.

Bobbi

Quote Originally Posted by Figment View Post
    I've always heard that QH judging depends a lot on breeding. Is that so? Like if that horse's sire was.........he's sure to get a good placing. Hence, they keep the best names in their papered name.

Not so re the judging. Famous names are included in a foal's name mostly for snob appeal and future salability.

Where am I and what am I doing in this handbasket?

Quote Originally Posted by ClearviewFarm View Post
    No, like Sparky said, they are fake! And trust me, I'm not averse to a fake tail, my hunter sports one at the bigger shows. He used to have a tail that would have given my old Western Pleasure mare a run for her money, but tales just get thinner at the bottom as they get older. But the QH people are just like everyone else, if some is good, MORE must be BETTER, and they've gone a bit overboard on the tail thing from a h/j perspective.
    Definition of "Horse": a 4 legged mammal looking for an inconvenient place and expensive way to die. Any day they choose not to execute the Master Plan is just more time to perfect it. Be Very Afraid.

Does anyone know where you can find a complete schedule for all of the events and full results??

UMMMM... WTF are these Western Pleasure horses doing? I thought they had passed rules to try and get rid of the peanut rollers and the 4-beaters? Obviously hasn't changed much.

You can find everything here. If you click on the classes for each day, you will get a list of entrants. Have fun! http://www.aqha.com/youth/activities/yws/index.html

"lope with forward motion"? Still looks like a humped over 4-beat.

I do see a mix of level top lines and peanut rollers. Are they rewarding the level toplines?

I honestly do like QHs. I just don'w like what they do to them in the showring.

PS - are they judged on how few steps they can take while walking?

PSx2 - She's Got The Blue (Sassy) was bought as an unbroke 2 yr old by a poster on JB's board. I got to "watch" her grow up. She's a cutie.

Quote Originally Posted by dcm View Post
    "lope with forward motion"? Still looks like a humped over 4-beat.

I do see a mix of level top lines and peanut rollers. Are they rewarding the level toplines?

I honestly do like QHs. I just don'w like what they do to them in the showring.

PS - are they judged on how few steps they can take while walking?

PSx2 - She's Got The Blue (Sassy) was bought as an unbroke 2 yr old by a poster on JB's board. I got to "watch" her grow up. She's a cutie.
    Oh, I like them too. I grew up in Fort Worth, so I also grew up going to the stock horse shows (APHA and ApHC World's, AQHYA World, etc.). I really do like those shows a lot - it was just so awkward to watch those horses go around.

I did see a lot more level toplines, granted, but I didn't see one horse that wasn't 4-beating, IMO.

Quote Originally Posted by Tha Ridge View Post
    .....I grew up in Fort Worth, so I also grew up going to the stock horse shows (APHA and ApHC World's, AQHYA World, etc.).......
    I grew up in Houston in the 60's & 70's. I didn't get to go to those big shows, but all we knew down here was QHs. I used to love going to the livestock show & rodeo. I'd spend days watching the horses at the livestock show.

They are about to do the 1st semi final round. I guess if we see more level toplines then we will know.....

Quote Originally Posted by dcm View Post

dcm, we bought her from looosssie sight unseen, from a short youtube video. She's been a delight from the minute she walked off the trailer.