The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results
 
Results 1 to 19 of 19
  1. #1
    Join Date
    Jul. 31, 2008
    Posts
    30

    Default Vests...

    What is a good vest to purchase?

    I figured this was a good place to ask and get feed back on different ones, see what others like and dislike and which one fits most needs.

    Thanks in advance... I'm in the process of purchasing one for my child.



  2. #2
    Join Date
    Apr. 30, 2008
    Location
    Fayetteville
    Posts
    28

    Default

    Charles owen is good. I love mine.
    www.teamduke.org/goto/amy.parlett

    "Courage is being scared to death but saddling up anyway." John Wayne



  3. #3
    Join Date
    Dec. 8, 2002
    Location
    Staunton, VA US
    Posts
    352

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by 2ponyriders View Post
    What is a good vest to purchase?

    I figured this was a good place to ask and get feed back on different ones, see what others like and dislike and which one fits most needs.

    Thanks in advance... I'm in the process of purchasing one for my child.
    Well, just about all of the vests are OK...that said, you want to look for a couple of things. First, you want a vest that fits properly and is comfortable - if it is too long in the back, the saddle can bump the rider in the back as the horse rounds over the fences. Vests from Charles Owen and the Rodney Powell vest are available in youth/children's sizes, I think.

    Second, it is preferable that your vest be a BETA 3 approved vest. Some Vests, like the Tipperary are not BETA approved, so >IF< the USEA changes their requirements that the vests be BETA 3 approved, the Tipperary vests will no longer be allowed. That said, A LOT of event riders (myself included) wear the Tipperary vests, because they are comfortable and available in a larger range of sizes than any of the other vests, and are available in custom colors, with various 'extra' features like colored laces and trim/piping that other vest makers do not offer. -- so that you understand...BETA is the British Equestrian Trade Association (I THINK that is right!!) and they test vests to 3 levels of protection standards, level 3 being the highest. in the US, we have ASTM standards (at least for helmets, not sure if they test the vests or not). the Tipperary vests do not meet the BETA standards because they are laced on the sides and in theory a rider could suffer puncture wounds because of the way they are constructed.

    Hope this helps.

    Rick in VA



  4. #4
    Join Date
    Jul. 31, 2008
    Posts
    30

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by rmaryman View Post
    Well, just about all of the vests are OK...that said, you want to look for a couple of things. First, you want a vest that fits properly and is comfortable - if it is too long in the back, the saddle can bump the rider in the back as the horse rounds over the fences. Vests from Charles Owen and the Rodney Powell vest are available in youth/children's sizes, I think.

    Second, it is preferable that your vest be a BETA 3 approved vest. Some Vests, like the Tipperary are not BETA approved, so >IF< the USEA changes their requirements that the vests be BETA 3 approved, the Tipperary vests will no longer be allowed. That said, A LOT of event riders (myself included) wear the Tipperary vests, because they are comfortable and available in a larger range of sizes than any of the other vests, and are available in custom colors, with various 'extra' features like colored laces and trim/piping that other vest makers do not offer. -- so that you understand...BETA is the British Equestrian Trade Association (I THINK that is right!!) and they test vests to 3 levels of protection standards, level 3 being the highest. in the US, we have ASTM standards (at least for helmets, not sure if they test the vests or not). the Tipperary vests do not meet the BETA standards because they are laced on the sides and in theory a rider could suffer puncture wounds because of the way they are constructed.

    Hope this helps.

    Rick in VA

    Thank you! That was a lot of info I did not know or even know to research. I will be keeping that in mind while we pick a vest. Now I just need to figure out if any place local has vests in stock or if this will be an order, get try on, return, repeat process trying to get the right fit for her.



  5. #5
    Join Date
    Dec. 8, 2002
    Location
    Staunton, VA US
    Posts
    352

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by 2ponyriders View Post
    Thank you! That was a lot of info I did not know or even know to research. I will be keeping that in mind while we pick a vest. Now I just need to figure out if any place local has vests in stock or if this will be an order, get try on, return, repeat process trying to get the right fit for her.
    Since we don't know where you are located, it's hard to suggest places where you might go locally to look for a vest.

    If you are looking online for vests, VTO Saddlery in Broadway, VA and Bit Of Britain in PA - both cater to the eventing crowd, and both stock a variety of vests and can offer good advice concerning them. Both have pretty good customer service as well. Alternatively, there is Dover Saddlery. You can google any of the names to find their respective web sites.

    Rick in VA



  6. #6
    Join Date
    Oct. 19, 2006
    Location
    area II
    Posts
    1,624

    Default

    I just ordered my daughter a charles owen body protector. I did so because it is a huge investment and I am concerned, like the other poster already stated, that it won't be long until they start making "approved" mandatory. Of course we really prefer the way the tipperary looks, and lots of eventers wear them because they are also very comfortable, but my understanding is that the new Charles Owen is also quite comfortable.
    There are a couple of others that are also approved, but I don't think they are nearly as comfortable.



  7. #7
    Join Date
    Aug. 26, 2001
    Location
    Oxford PA
    Posts
    10,337

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by rmaryman View Post
    . . . . Second, it is preferable that your vest be a BETA 3 approved vest. Some Vests, like the Tipperary are not BETA approved, so >IF< the USEA changes their requirements that the vests be BETA 3 approved, the Tipperary vests will no longer be allowed. That said, A LOT of event riders (myself included) wear the Tipperary vests, because they are comfortable and available in a larger range of sizes than any of the other vests, and are available in custom colors, with various 'extra' features like colored laces and trim/piping that other vest makers do not offer. -- so that you understand...BETA is the British Equestrian Trade Association (I THINK that is right!!) and they test vests to 3 levels of protection standards, level 3 being the highest. in the US, we have ASTM standards (at least for helmets, not sure if they test the vests or not). the Tipperary vests do not meet the BETA standards because they are laced on the sides and in theory a rider could suffer puncture wounds because of the way they are constructed. . . .
    The above paragraph contains a lot of misinformation. There ARE currently ATSM/SEI approved vests, meaning there is an ASTM/SEI standard for vests. IF approved vests are ever required in the rules (I can't see into the future) I can almost GUARANTEE the required standard will NOT be BETA. As the poster above pointed out, BETA is a British standard. We do not use the British standard for helmets & I can't see that the USEA would use the British standard for vests, in part because the British standards are lower than the ASTM/SEI standards.



  8. #8
    Join Date
    Oct. 19, 2006
    Location
    area II
    Posts
    1,624

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Evalee Hunter View Post
    The above paragraph contains a lot of misinformation. There ARE currently ATSM/SEI approved vests, meaning there is an ASTM/SEI standard for vests. IF approved vests are ever required in the rules (I can't see into the future) I can almost GUARANTEE the required standard will NOT be BETA. As the poster above pointed out, BETA is a British standard. We do not use the British standard for helmets & I can't see that the USEA would use the British standard for vests, in part because the British standards are lower than the ASTM/SEI standards.
    So, what do you propose one do? None of us can see into the future. But, if vests are to be approved, I suspect we can all agree that the tipperary as it stands now, will not be on the list. Those panels, which are what make it so comfortable and appealing, simply don't make the mustard. Safety wise, I believe that the CO body protector, is the best we are going to get now, at least until they start setting standards in the us, and companies rush to meet the needs.
    I do get your point, that british stanards are likely to not be as rigid as the US. But for those of us who need a vest now, I think it is the only option. In other words, it is my best chance of getting in under the guidelines.



  9. #9
    Join Date
    Feb. 16, 2000
    Location
    Cincinnati, OH
    Posts
    335



  10. #10
    Join Date
    Nov. 26, 1999
    Posts
    1,682

    Default

    I have the Rodney Powell Elite Pro. I love it! I have worn it several times now, and it is molded for my body. It is geared towards women, as the panels are a bit more contoured, but it is still Beta 3 and ASTM certified. You can buy it through their website: http://www.powellprotec.com/. They also do a variety of sizes.



  11. #11
    Join Date
    Feb. 13, 2008
    Location
    Ontario, Canada
    Posts
    1,655

    Default

    I just got a Rodney Powell, and every time I ride in it its easier to do up and nicer to ride in. The people were really pleasant to deal with as well.



  12. #12
    Join Date
    Jan. 29, 2000
    Location
    Pretty much horse heaven
    Posts
    2,997

    Default

    When you shop, be aware that there are different vests within the Charles Owen and Aerowear (sp?) lines, and not all are Beta 3 tested. The Beta 2 testing is a lower standard and not approved for x-c competitions.

    I had a Tipperary for years and recently replaced it. I talked to all the vest manufacturers and tack stores at Rolex and ended up with a Rodney Powell because they can custom fit a broader size range than Charles Owen. The Charles Owen Beta 3 is a fine vest, but I got a better fit from a custom Rodney Powell.

    These vests are heavier than my old Tip, but it conforms very quickly to your body and is comfortable and not heavy to wear. Unfortunately, I already tested the darn thing when my horse ran under under a tree limb and scraped me off his back. It was a pretty long fall off the back of a 17.2 horse, but the vest did a fantastic job absorbing the impact. I'm very happy I was wearing the Rodney Powell that day and not my old Tip.
    Hindsight bad, foresight good.



  13. #13
    Join Date
    Dec. 8, 2002
    Location
    Staunton, VA US
    Posts
    352

    Default just for clarification...

    I did not mean to leave out the ASTM certified vests in my earlier posts, and should have said that there are ASTM certified vests out there...

    my point was supposed to be more about "certified" versus "non-certified" as far as the USEA requirements, since the TIP vests are allowed under current USEA rules, but may not be in the future >IF< the USEA changes the wording in the rules (and with all the emphasis on safety these days, those changes to require a certified vest might mean a lot of us - myself included - will have to go out and buy another (approved) vest since the TIP vests would no longer meet the requirements, and THAT is what I was trying to advise the OP about).

    Rick in VA



  14. #14
    heddylamar Guest

    Default

    I am just getting back into eventing after a ~12 year hiatus. I have an older Harry Hall vest -- roughly 15-16 years old -- that says it is "Made to the BETA/Body Protector Level 7." Is it still okay? Or do I need to purchase a new vest?

    I've seen (and used) the newer Tipperary laced vests and in my completely unscientific opinion mine may offer better protection! I've also read through the current USEF eventing rulebook and it seems that the only requirement is for a vest (I guess not much changes!) not a BETA/ASTM level of vest. Is that correct?

    Thanks!



  15. #15
    Join Date
    Apr. 30, 2002
    Location
    Looking up
    Posts
    6,442

    Default

    I am enamored of the Airo wear vest and love the feel and fit of it, but have a tipperary of my own. I am ordering an Airo wear as soon as I can afford it.
    He keeps throwing me back. http://horsejunkiesunited.com/?p=63881



  16. #16
    Join Date
    Mar. 15, 2008
    Posts
    204

    Default

    I have a Flex-Rider vest. I got it when I was first starting out, as it was safe and inexpensive, and my mom didn't know if I was going to stick with eventing. It is not the most comfortable, but I do feel very safe in my ' turtle shell '. I have ridden in a Tip. as well, and I just didn't feel as safe in it. Although, I have never taken a fall in one, and my observations re in no way scientifically proven haha. Also, many ULR ride in them so they must be pretty safe? When I get a new vest, in the near future, I will either get the Charles Owen or the Casco Vest. Hope this helps!
    Last edited by eventer12; Aug. 6, 2008 at 11:12 PM. Reason: spelling



  17. #17
    Join Date
    May. 2, 2001
    Location
    Tallahassee, FL
    Posts
    5,015

    Default

    I got an Airo Wear at Rolex this year and have been really happy with it so far -- I will be happy if I never have to test its protectiveness, though
    *Proud member of the Hoof Fetish Clique*
    **********************************
    I have Higher Standards ...do you? Find us on FB!
    Higher Standards Custom Leather Care -- Handcrafted Saddle Soap



  18. #18
    Join Date
    Aug. 27, 2007
    Location
    Loudoun County, Virginia
    Posts
    2,567

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by heddylamar View Post
    I am just getting back into eventing after a ~12 year hiatus. I have an older Harry Hall vest -- roughly 15-16 years old -- that says it is "Made to the BETA/Body Protector Level 7." Is it still okay? Or do I need to purchase a new vest?

    I've seen (and used) the newer Tipperary laced vests and in my completely unscientific opinion mine may offer better protection! I've also read through the current USEF eventing rulebook and it seems that the only requirement is for a vest (I guess not much changes!) not a BETA/ASTM level of vest. Is that correct?

    Thanks!

    So...JMHO, but yes, yours may offer better protection in new condition. I'd probably be worried about the foam/seam breakdown due to time and go ahead with a new one. Of course, what you have is better than none at all.



  19. #19
    Join Date
    Jul. 31, 2008
    Posts
    30

    Default

    Just wanted to quickly Thank Everyone who responded!

    I think we may go with either the AiroWear or the Rodney Powell. My daughter is short and thin so I'm leaning toward the Rodney Powell because it seems we'll get the best fit from it.



Similar Threads

  1. safety vests
    By horserider12 in forum Giveaways
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: Nov. 25, 2008, 09:47 AM
  2. Let's Talk About Vests
    By GiGi in forum Eventing
    Replies: 22
    Last Post: Sep. 18, 2008, 08:01 AM
  3. Safety Vests (again)
    By WeDoItAll in forum Eventing
    Replies: 12
    Last Post: Aug. 21, 2008, 09:23 AM
  4. Tipperary vests
    By eventercrazy in forum Eventing
    Replies: 17
    Last Post: Jul. 13, 2008, 09:09 PM
  5. Rider Airbag Vests
    By Mike Matson in forum Dressage
    Replies: 14
    Last Post: Jun. 12, 2008, 04:07 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •