The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

I carry a crop O/F, mostly as a precaution in case I am in disciplinary need of it. I rode with spurs for about a month when my horse went through a "peeking" phase at shows, but don't use them anymore because I felt like they created an issue where he was more anticipatory of lead changes. He doesn't need spurs on a normal day, and I'm happier myself without them.

I'm curious about this - How many of you carry your crop into a hack class? I used to - but it was suggested to me by a friend that it's not good form to carry one in the hack, so I started ditching it....
    "To understand the soul of a horse is the closest human beings can come to knowing perfection."

Quote Originally Posted by Swale01 View Post
    I'm curious about this - How many of you carry your crop into a hack class? I used to - but it was suggested to me by a friend that it's not good form to carry one in the hack, so I started ditching it....
    I usually never hack with a crop. However I sometimes do if I'm riding a greenie and feel that I might need it.

If I do carry a crop in the hack there is a reason. I keep it low and switch it to the side away from the judge (I am good at that).

Generally, it kind of advertises you are expecting bad behavior and you shouldn't need it. If you do, keep it subtle.
    When opportunity knocks it's wearing overalls and looks like work.

The horse world. Two people. Three opinions.

Quote Originally Posted by findeight View Post
    If I do carry a crop in the hack there is a reason. I keep it low and switch it to the side away from the judge (I am good at that).

Generally, it kind of advertises you are expecting bad behavior and you shouldn't need it. If you do, keep it subtle.
    I'm not a fan of this current trend. When I came back to showing I was surprised about all the 'don't carry a crop in the hack class' nonsense. IMO, going into the ring without a crop is like going into the ring without your helmet. Does wearing your helmet mean your expecting trouble? Why isn't the same with spurs?

I'll tell you why. Someone decided that not carrying a crop in a hack meant your horse was quieter, so they tried it. And won. And then everyone started doing it. What's going to happen when someone decides the same about spurs?

Sure, everyone KNOWS that you can't actually USE the crop in a class and expect to place, but not even carrying it? Whatever. It's like people's insistence that a hunter must wear a standing martingale. Silly little rules we make up for ourselves....
    Keith: "Now...let's do something normal fathers and daughters do."
    Veronica: "Buy me a pony?"

I carry a dressage whip on the flat, (39'') and a crop o/f or on the flat if I don't need the whip that day (27''). Spurs occasionally when my mare tends to become complacent and get behind my leg a little bit, but usually don't wear them as I don't generally need them. I don't go in the under saddle with a crop. Just something I was taught not to do, but I do jump at shows with one because the way I see it, if you're to the point where you need it, you're not going to place anyways.
    "The more I see, the less I know, the more I like to let it go." -Red Hot Chili Peppers

Quote Originally Posted by RugBug View Post
    It's like people's insistence that a hunter must wear a standing martingale. Silly little rules we make up for ourselves....
    Hahaha - amen - my horse doesn't need his, the only time I put it on him is at a horse show.
    "To understand the soul of a horse is the closest human beings can come to knowing perfection."

I always wear spur with my hunter. I have huge ones lol. But its hard for my small leg to move his lazy butt. I mainly use them for bending, and pushing him off my left leg cause he has a bad left side. I am very good at keeping them out of his side though when i dont need them. I sometimes use a stick at home for flat work (leg yeilding, etc) but the only other time i use one is when i carry a small one during schooling at a show or in an eq class if its my first jumping class of the day. I hardly use the thing but i think it shows my horse that he has no other option but to listen to me
    P=N
    If you run out of patience, you run out of nice.

I was taught to always carry a crop and spurs - by both my trainer and GM who both worked on the premis that it is always easier to get rid of them than not have them.

Since I'm generally riding something different every time I'll always ask if there's anything I need to be aware of, which would include an issue with spurs/and or a need for the crop. I will wear the tom thumbs and carry a small batt unless I'm instructed to do something more or less (carry/wear nothing, use a dressage whip, bigger spurs, etc.)

Crop and spurs always. To me they are the tools of the trade. If the horse doesn't need them used, then I don't use them. But I will have them with me.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    "I know nothing with any certainty, but the sight of stars makes me dream." --Vincent Van Gogh

Thumbs up

I always bring both to the ring with me. However, I will often start without my spurs just because my LAZY WB sometimes gets sour and often moves better off my leg without them. I never know what type of day it will be so I always bring a crop and spurs to the ring with me no matter what. I am going to start using a dressage whip on the flat in addition to the spurs (when necessary) because he is starting to flinch at the bat. My horse can be a tad complicated. *sigh*
    - - - - - -
    \"I found my inner bitch and ran with her.\" ~ Courtney Love

I always have a crop and spurs whenever I show. When schooling, it depends on the horse. For my Oldenburg, I use 1/2 in flat end spurs of some kinds, he needs a little motivation to keep moving. For the pony, I use my black rolley spurs. For all the OTTB's, I use the tom thumb spurs.

No spurs needed with the horse I lease now. Occasionally, I will need a crop because he is being silly/spooky about a fence. He seems to get sensitive about it. I do need to practice riding with it because I have trouble holding it properly since it is so rarely used.
    "Horses give us the wings we lack"

My pony hunter went in Tom Thumb spurs and a bat because she was so lazy and green. Needed it more for direction and a threat than anything else, since she would 'wake up' once we started jumping. On the other hand my A/O hunter I've tried my POW spurs on him and they woke him up too much, so I'm banned from wearing spurs or carry a crop. My trainer wants me to work harder to get him going instead of relying on 'help' like I would when we did the jumpers several years ago.