The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    I live in Chantilly, VA but I ride in Anytown, USA

I do.

"If you have the time, spend it. If you have a hand, lend it. If you have the money, give it. If you have a heart, share it." by me

Small spurs and a looong stick (not quite a dressage whip) at home so I can tap behind the leg without changing position, just a flick of the wrist.

Just the small spurs over the fences unless we are having a drift issue.

Better to have them and not need them then the other way around. Assuming, of course, rider is far enough along to avoid unintentional contact.
    When opportunity knocks it's wearing overalls and looks like work.

The horse world. Two people. Three opinions.

I ride with spurs on the flat (1/2" knob end spurs) and spurs and a bat (19") over fences. I like to flat my horse with a dressage whip to get him more responsive to my leg, but that's not every day (he's pretty sensitive).

I use both for my 4 year old Hanoverian. 1inch spurs, dressage whip at home. He is a dressage horse but does play in the hunter ring, then I wear my spurs and a hunter bat/crop whatever is the longest I can find

My horse-Spurs only on the flat when we really want him to engage his hind end. He's got a decent motor but is lazy at heart.

1/2 " spurs for cueing and forward motivation
    standard hunter length crop for correction and encouragement forward

...on all of my horses. I don't have the sensitive type!

Both every ride, every horse.

Spurs are the tiniest of tiny Tom Thumbs (they got laughed at during the spur check in the dressage phase of an event).

Whip varies. I prefer a bat, but I've currently got a crop that I like. I no longer use a dressage whip after one got stuck in the pony's tail and he sent the trainer to the ER.
    Keith: "Now...let's do something normal fathers and daughters do."
    Veronica: "Buy me a pony?"

Hunter: small Prince of Wales spurs, jumper bat. Always need the spurs, very rarely need the bat, but he's a greenie and given to occasional greenie moments.

Jumper: No spurs. Ever. But always carry a jumper bat, as he tends to become a bucking machine if I do not have a "balancing pole."
    Life would be infinitely better if pinatas suddenly appeared throughout the day.

I always carry a bat, whether I wear spurs depends on the particular horse I am riding. I have several pairs of POW spurs, the shortest being a pair of Tom Thumb's.

Yes. On both counts.

Spurs = Probably about an inch long... it's the hammer head kind so they are flat/skinny with the knob on the end. Hard to describe. Kinda like these: http://www.equestriancollections.com...upcode=ER00716

Flat work only = Dressage Whip
    Flat/jump work and lessons = crop

I have a lazy horse.

I always ride with both; I was told from a young age that you should always ride with both no matter the horse. The crop that I ride with is short and my spurs are tiny but I have two OTTB so that is why.

I ride my horse with both (1/2 inch spurs and short bat).

I usually don't use a crop unless I'm going into a ring without schooling, or if we're building big scary jumps at home But, I always use my roller end soft touch spurs. A little longer than these ones...http://www.beval.com/Products/Roller...r/0003051.aspx

One horse I ride with nothing as she's an ex-eventer with plenty of go. A green pony I'm training, I use small spurs, and a jumping bat. And on my own horse and everything else I usually always carry a short jumping bat.

I've always prefurred a jumping bat to a longer whip.

Quote Originally Posted by lauriep View Post
    Both, always. Prince of Wales, or nubs. Long stick.
    DITTO
    Aefvue Farm Ft.Lauderdale

I don't ride with spurs, but I do carry a dressage whip for schooling, and I have a nice brown leather hunt crop for otherwise.

-Kristie

my old pony was REALLY lazy in the ring so I always rode with whatever size crop I could find around the barn. I also always hacked with little nubby spurs just for encouragement but took them off to jump because my pony needed no encouragement to jump.

I use each as required... for shows I always put on some itty-bitty spurs, may even also use a jumping bat as the show progresses. And at home I'll usually pick up (or drop) a crop if I feel my horse is not moving off my leg as I need him to. Must of the time I like the little ones, but if we're really having a weird day, out comes the dressage whip.

I personally can't stand people who automatically get on with a huge dressage whip, before they even know the horse. If the horse is well known to be consistently lazy, then yes, I understand, and I understand if it's just a little crop. But if they are catchrides you've never ridden before and you head straight for the dressage whip? *Sorry, I needed a vent about this silly woman with a really loose, ineffective leg that will not grasp the fact that she can't ride.

Maybe all this biased stuff because I have an odd baby OTTB... with mood swings.

I wear the long rolley spurs with pretty much everyone I ride, way to annoying to take off put on :] just dont use on everyone. I ride with a dressage whip more than crop. its easier, they know its there and when I do need to tap them i dont have to take my hand off the reins, its eaiser. I ride some with a crop, depends on if theyre lazy or just dont move off my leg and their personallites.

I have spurs and I have a crop - does that count??

Well, to be honest, I almost always carry a crop. I have a 19" (I think) for schooling in various colors and a much shorter black one for showing. My retired guy NEVER needed anything. I carried the crop in lessons as it was better to have "just in case" vs be having a bad moment and no weapony. My hand worked but it really wasn't as effective that's for sure. Generally though, he never needed anything.

My other guy, although an OTTB, is pretty lazy. If I don't carry the crop-he knows! I don't usually use the crop unless it's one of those 90 + degree days with wicked humidity but I think I need the crop on those days too! Every once in a while he'll get "stuck" but a good crack with that crop seems to have no effect anyway (guess he got the whip a lot while racing ). For showing-I will take it to the ring but then usually hand it off before I go in. He, though just emerging from the green stages, totally knows the difference between schooling in the ring and actually showing. I can't get strides to save my life when schooling but in a class he just knows what he's supposed to get and gets it! If we are at a longer show, he gets more quiet as the days go on so I will take the crop in with me but I have never used it.

Never put spurs on either one. Threaten to use them sometimes since they don't know what they are but I'm sure my threats mean nothing Besides, I get better reactions from them hanging on a hook in my house than using them on a horse
    Lord Stanely, Lord Stanley - come back to Pittsburgh!!!
    http://www.chronicleofmyhorse.com/profile/2_tbs
    *** I LOVE PUIKA FAN CLUB***