The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Default How many of you ride with a crop and spurs?

Just curious, but how many of you ride with a stick and spurs? And for those that do, how big are your spurs and how long is your crop?

I don't ride with spurs; I have a pair but have never used them, because my horse is too sensitive. I hate riding with a crop but my new trainer insists, her point being, "Would you go into battle without a weapon?" Also, I notice that if I don't bring a crop to the ring when I'm schooling (even if I just leave it at the gate) my horse is very, very aware of its absence. d; I just use a jumping bat.

Never bring my crop out on trails though or just hacking around.

These streets will make you feel brand new, big lights will inspire you, let's hear it for New York

I don't personally follow this but Frank Madden says something along the lines of this: You (the rider) are a carpenter and your spurs and stick are your hammer and nails.

I always ride with spurs and a stick. My spurs are very "big" and my crop is pretty long and big as well.
    Experienced riders are not prone to brag. And usually newcomers, if they start out being boastful, end up modest. -C.J.J. Mullen

I always ride with a decent sized crop. I like a longer one so that I don't have to let go of my reins to tap him behind my leg, that way he doesn't react to my hand moving. I lesson/show with spurs but try not to use them when hacking to make my leg stronger. Spurs are 1/2 inch Prince of Whales..so, no collateral damage Lol!
    Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things you didn't do than by the ones you did. Explore. Dream. Discover.
    ~Mark Twain

I ride with spurs and a dressage whip when schooling at home. I ride the hunters, but I find the dressage whip helps me keep my big WB infront of my leg. So I mainly use my whip on the flat, and when jumping I drop the whip and use my spurs...my mare has a hard right drift so the spurs help me with that. My spurs are about 1/2" long and rounded. She is 16.3hh 1265lbs and I am 5'4" about 130lbs so I need a little help

I always ride with a stick. I have a traditional brown one that I always carry it's marked with yellow tape so don't try to steal it!! I ride with differnt length spurs depending on the horse and the day. I love ridding in my long thin pair but usually cause I am lazy and dont have to use my leg as much haha. I also like to have my students ride with a crop and spurs, it's easier to take them off then have to go find them if you need them.

Hey JR Hunter "big" spurs and stick huh.......

I need all the giddyup tools with the Dutch horse. The crop I carry is just standard issue, and the spurs a good healthy 1 1/2".

I don't want the OTTB to know those toys are in the barn.

my daughter uses both, the small tom thumb spur(1/4 in.?) and a jumping bat, nothing major and only for lessons

Yep, sure do. Horse knows it if I forget to - and will torture my legs.
    Crop is just your standard bat, spurs are just the little nubs, but enough to suggest he takes the hint.
    Jen Evans & DaBear

I show both of mine with spurs, and sometimes the hunter needs a stick when I am having a lesson or just riding because he is so very lazy. The spurs are long, but rounded, and the stick is one with a star on the end- more fun than functional.
    flogarty
    "It is difficult not to be unjust to what one loves" Oscar Wilde

I guess I should answer my own question haha. I always ride in spurs I have the black rollie ones, I like them cause they don't give spur marks. I have to say I always like to have a "big" stick.

Almost always. Rarely need them - but great to have them! Only after I know the horse well will I ditch the spurs if the horse has a motor - but always carry the stick.

Both, always. Prince of Wales, or nubs. Long stick.
    Laurie
    Finding, preparing, showing and training young hunters, in hand and performance.
    www.juniorjohnsontrainingandsales.com

I use the beval's kids' crop. It is the perfect size and I love it. I also wear spurs. I have tom thumb spurs.

Depends on the horse. On a hot horse with more than enough "go," especially a greenie, I don't wear or carry extra incentive to go. The spurs and crop would just get in the way and make me too cautious about putting my leg on. And I'd pick up a crop before putting on spurs, because you can always drop the crop in an emergency (runaway horse), but you can't drop the spurs. I might pick up a crop if I'm schooling such a horse over jumps just in case the horse needs directional reinforcement, but wouldn't bother on the flat. Crops are better for correcting drifts than spurs. On an average horse I'll carry a short "equitation bat" but won't wear spurs unless the horse seems thick-skinned. In that case I'll use medium, rounded spurs. On a lazy horse I wear medium or long spurs and carry a crop so that I'm not constantly nagging the horse with my calf.

I sometimes use a crop at home just if my pony is REALLY lazy, and only at the beginning of my ride to wake him up. I do you both crop and spurs at shows though. If I use them both at home all the time he will get numb to my leg, and numb to the occasional cropping. Not that I crop him much at shows, but just having it makes lengthen his stride a bit.

Yes, 1/2 inch POW spurs (The Herm Sprenger ones with the rounded tip), and standard issue crop.

Default Never

I've never owned a horse that I had to use spurs or a crop/whip on. My ottb mare would have taken me into the next county.
    And I own a hot WB with lots of TB blood, and he doesn't need them either.
    I do have friends who have horses they say have "dead sides" but when I ride their horses, I just go slow.

often between a rock and hard place in Ky

I carry a bat and ride in small spurs by that famous trainer Tom Thumb.. (insert Sara Stetner reference here ). Rarely have to use either but the horse "knows" when they aren't there
    ___._/> I don't suffer from insanity.. I enjoy every
    ____/ minute of it! Member stick horse art lovers
    ';;;;;;; clique
    //__\\<-- Don't feed the llama!