The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 567

Grays and Bays = Brays for Days.

This wasn't original with me, but I wish it would have been. Do those of you who are bothered by B For D know how to use the ignore button? I've found it a very useful defense against the unevolved few who post here.

I love old horses. I wouldn't trade a single one of mine for a dozen two year olds.
    Barbaro Cultist, Metabolic Nazi

Quote Originally Posted by I'm EBO View Post
    Grays and Bays = Brays for Days.

This wasn't original with me, but I wish it would have been. Do those of you who are bothered by B For D know how to use the ignore button? I've found it a very useful defense against the unevolved few who post here.

I love old horses. I wouldn't trade a single one of mine for a dozen two year olds.
    Well, dearie, there is an old Maylayan proverb saying: Trumpet in a herd of elephants; crow in the company of cocks; bleat in a flock of goats.

Guess you can figure out what gets brayed with???

GAB, again, you have valid points that are being lost amidst your 'braying'. You have professed that you don't care if people like you; however, you obviously care that people get your point, as you continue to post to that effect. If you want people to get your point, coat it in betadine rather than salt. Equally effective, less painful.

Sometimes though, you may be so passionate about your position, that the opinion of rest of the folks become meaningless .
    Take PETA. Now some of the things they do, I am ok-like exposing science labs -those kind of things if it comes out, at the very least provides some soul searching. I am not saying stop it, but at least provide some minimum comfort-something. Now all the animal rights stuff-no way-to me when an animal is as capabale as a human in this world of ours, then sure you have same rights as me. yes they feel and sense things but they just don't have the mental makeup to live by themselves in our urban world.-unless you are a rat or a pigeon-in which case we treat them differently.
    But then you hear something like this where they compare the beheading in the Greyhound bus to animal slaughter/meat consumption and then after that you just tune those kind of folks out completely. They may have valid points-but who wants to hear? Once you provoke that kind of visceral reaction, everything else gets lost-even if they are good points.
    http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20080807/...us_beheading_4

Quote Originally Posted by hundredacres View Post
    Click on the profile of he person you want to ignore. You will see "Add so-n-so to your ignore list" on the blue line toward the top. Click on that and it will ask you to save that name to your list.
    This worked excellently well. Thank you!! I have never felt the need to do this before.
    I realize that I'm generalizing here, but as is often the case when I generalize, I don't care. ~ Dave Barry

When I was a teenager, I just could not understand how the other girls at my barn coulod get rid of there old competition horse who were no longer able to compete. However, now that I am an adult, I do kind of understand. I personally have one horse who has recently been fully retired at the age of 23. She was the best horse I will ever have and will be with me forever. On the other hand, she is taking up valuable space and money.

If I did not have her, I could get another horse, to practice on, and then not have to ride my show horse so much. I could have someone to work on myself on.

Is that selfish? Probably, but in a sport where this is the normal practice, I do not think it is completely unreasonable. Like I have already said, she has a home for life, but I do understand where some people are coming from.

Quote Originally Posted by DressageGeek "Ribbon Ho" View Post
    When my water dragon died, I buried her at night in the small patch in front of my townhouse. Can't do that with a horse.
    ...and you sure as heck can't flush them down the toilet like a dead goldfish!

That was just the first link I found for that kind of keyboard. Here are three brands for under $10.

Personally, I'm choosing not to get a horse until I have at least a year of expenses set aside in addition to the purchase cost of the horse. I've seen too many people run into trouble, and don't want to be forced to sell or give away or be at my wits' end on what to do if something happened. I also have a friend who is willing to board a horse for me for expenses only - a little too far away to go ride/visit every day, but certainly close enough to see every week or so if he or she had to be retired. I can't expect the offer to be available indefinitely, though, circumstances change, so I need to be prepared.

Sometimes things can turn around extremely fast - I know a lot of people who had major problems from layoffs or medical expenses (even with insurance) or other things that they just weren't prepared for. I grew up poor, and even after I was an adult and on my own, there have been a few times where I just ran into difficulties financially. So, I'm a little paranoid about having an emergency fund for myself and anyone/any critter who depends on me. Right now, I'm both single and horseless, but I really empathise with anyone who has to choose between their horse and their family.
    Stay me with coffee, comfort me with chocolate, for I am sick of love.