The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Default Older horses and idiot owners (a rant)

I run a rescue.
    I am getting beseiged by calls from people who no longer want their retired horse because it cannot be ridden.
    Todays call was from someone with a stallion in his mid 20's who cannot be ridden and won't keep the weight on. Seems he is so bad, the neighbors keep reporting her.
    I told her that even in good times, no one wants to take on a pasture pet that is in bad health and is a stallion to boot.
    I told her she needs to do the right thing and euthanize him rather than risk him going to an unscrupulous person that turns around and sends him to slaughter.
    Why do people think that it is ok to pass their problems on to someone else rather than take responsibility for it themself?
    I have 2 horses of my own that are retired. One is only 18 and was retired from eventing this year because of damage to her knee. Otherwise, she is healthy and will probably live into her 30's. The other is 20. I only had him for 2 years before he was retired. Not in the best of health. But I am indebted to both of them for taking care of my daughters out on the cross country. They have both earned their retirement and I would never think of unloading them on someone else. I could easily replace them with 2 riding horses or 2 paying boarders, but would NEVER consider doing so.
    If you buy a horse, you have to plan on them living 20 plus years. It is up to you, the owner, to be responsible for their well being.
    Especially in this economy, don't expect people to take your old horse, who has most likely earned his retirement. If you cannot take care of him, for whatever reason, then do the decent thing and euthanize him. I understand people are hurting financially right now, but for those who just want to unload an old horse (or dog or cat or what have you), then shame on you. I hope your family abandons you when you are old and grey and useless.

Ok, this rant is over, normal programming may continue!

You know what's even worse?

NON ignorant, totally educated horseowners who dump off their older horses. They completely know better, and just don't care.

Tell a Gelding. Ask a Stallion. Discuss it with a Mare... Pray if it's a Pony!

Hear hear!

I saw this posted on craigslist today and it made me so sad:

http://fortcollins.craigslist.org/grd/781834976.html

I wonder what the chances are that this old man finds a good home versus winding up on the truck to Canada for slaughter?

What are you crabbing about? If you want to parade around as a "RESCUE", you have take all that goes with it -- which is mainly people not wanting their horse[s] anymore for whatever reason.

Just take the damn things, then shoot them if it bothers you all that much.

We are a disposable society. Animals get thrown away like trash when they are useless.
    And now with the economy, even those who love their animals are giving them up.
    I bury my dogs/cats/horses after illnesses and old age.
    But a lot of people don't want to take the responsibility and want someone else, like OP, to do it for them.
    So sad, and with the web and all, we are seeing what has been going on for years in silence.
    I did dog and cat rescue work in Atlanta for years, and people would bring kittens and puppies into the Cobb pound with their children, and the kids would say that the animals would get a good home, and the parents would say they wanted their kids to have the experience of having newborn animals. Heck, when I wanted that I went to Friends of Animals and adopted a mama cat and her 4 kittens, all now over 15 yrs old.
    Until the state and local goverments put restrictions on who can breed and what can be bred (good grief, violating our rights to breed animals indiscriminately???? that is not in the constitution, guys), this will get worse. Look at all the race horses in Arizona feed lot.
    eeek.
    I feel for the rescues now. I believe it is better to euth than to send to slaughter, and the local governments are going to have to step up here and now and do something.

Having a bad day, G/B's?

Deep breath. Now, breathe, breathe, breathe. sylvia
    Never explain yourself to someone who is committed to misunderstanding you.

Wow, G/B.. I take it you are one of those who dumped an older horse just because you couldn't ride him anymore? Feeling guilty?
    I don't "practice" to be a rescue. I am legit. I started when someone didn't know how to properly care for a 33 year old QH mare. We deal with seized horses that assholes neglect and starve and abuse. I WISH I had the money and resources to take in every senior horse that has paid his dues and is rewarded by being dumped with a stranger. But I do what I can, one horse at a time.
    I suggest you learn the word compassion.

gandb would make an awesome teen pregnancy counselor.

chaltagor, would you mind putting a warning ahead of your replies? Now I have to wipe the screen!

Lori: If everyone were like you, there would be no need for a rescue.
    The sad reality is there are too few like you.

I keep my own, and take care of them. And I do my part to try and help horses in need when I can. You know about Rosie.

You and all of the rescuers are appreciated. Maybe not by every human, but by every horse you help.

And I think it is a good thing if you can remain calm when talking with POS humans. Explaining that having their horse PTS because they are old and unwell is a better choice than giving them away to anyone that would want them.

G&B, perhaps you could donate to the rescues even if you earmark your donation for euthanizing? That would actually help people like Lori and the others take in more horses.
    I\'m not crazy. I\'m just a little unwell.

What are you crabbing about? If you want to parade around as a "RESCUE", you have take all that goes with it -- which is mainly people not wanting their horse[s] anymore for whatever reason.

Hey Rainbow Bright...there's a helluva difference between a retirement facility and a rescue facility. A Rescue rescues horses...it's not a dumping ground for people who are too cheap to retire their horses. Rescues usually only rescue aged horses from auctions AFTER the cheap-arsed owner dumped it off. When the horse is still with the owner, it's up to the owner to euth or place it...not to dump it at a rescue. (they take in at risk horses, not no-longer-wanted ones) If rescues keep taking in everyone's retired horses, they'd have no room and no money for truly at risk animals. They'd also be taking on horses that require more care, usually meds for comfort and who have zero possibility of being adopted out. A rescue that tries to be a retirement home ends up out of business and horses in actual need lose an opportunity for getting a second chance.

OP...I agree with your frustration...it's damned annoying when owners want to use a rescue as a "free retirement" home for their used up animals.
    You jump in the saddle,
    Hold onto the bridle!
    Jump in the line!
    ...Belefonte

Thank you Misty Blue!

I don't even run a rescue, but I still get calls regularly from people wanting to dump an injured horse. The one that irritated me most was a woman I didn't even know who cried to me about her TB yearling filly with a broken foot...she whined about how she couldn't afford her surgery at R&R in KY. I tried to find a home for her filly but, time was up and she sent the poor thing off to some small time race trainer in WI! And she called me in hysterics after she loaded her up and tried to make ME feel bad because I couldn't find her a home because she was told that I "have TB connections".....yeah, I do, but it's pretty damned hard to find a home for a baby doomed to have arthritis IF it recovers from an expensive surgery! And to make it even more disgusting, she was trying to convince me to take her 2nd level mare that "only needs an Adequan shot once a month - she's otherwise perfect!"....yet *she* didn't want her. And that offer came a few days after the hysterical call and this time she was travelling from N. Indiana to KY to go look at a free 17hh TB in KY.

That woman made me REALLY, REALLY sick.

Don't worry Sob, this isn't funny.

The biggest problem is people who don't think an animal has an inherent right to their life and good care independent of their usefulness to humans. My BO is like this. My mare recently had a bout of cramps from diarrhea that I thought was colic (same symptoms). BO said I did the right thing calling the vet, as my mare is "worth it" i.e. I can ride her, as opposed to a TB I have that can't be ridden. BO thought I was nuts when I had his teeth done and every time I have his feet done too.

I now have BO's horse, as BO was sick of paying to get his feet done, feed him good food, etc, as he doesn't ride him. He thought it was stupid and a waste of money to take care of him if he couldn't ride him. I have two other horses that were abandoned by people who felt the same way. My BO tried to starve a horse that he hated because his owner was in the hospital. The horse was an old mess and dangerous to his owner, but damn that was evil. (I don't want to get into why I board there, but it's self care and BO doesn't touch my horses.)

The thing that irks me the most is that these people always have cell phones, cable, nice vehicles etc. They can commit to the cable company but not their animal.

Quote Originally Posted by greysandbays View Post

Everyday I think I have seen the rudest and worst in people and then you always post.

How miserable you must be to continuously post such bitterness. Why do you bother? Do you sit down with all intents on what crap you can respond with?

Quote Originally Posted by Lori T View Post
    Wow, G/B.. I take it you are one of those who dumped an older horse just because you couldn't ride him anymore? Feeling guilty?
    I don't "practice" to be a rescue. I am legit. I started when someone didn't know how to properly care for a 33 year old QH mare. We deal with seized horses that assholes neglect and starve and abuse. I WISH I had the money and resources to take in every senior horse that has paid his dues and is rewarded by being dumped with a stranger. But I do what I can, one horse at a time.
    I suggest you learn the word compassion.
    Actually, honey, a few weeks ago, I had my 36 year old mare put down -- a mare that hasn't been useful for anything but eating me out of house and home for the last 15 years.

The problem of unwanted horses is going to be increasing exponentially, as not every owner is going to as big a fool as I was in throwing money down a rat hole. (Note for gab bashers -- I do not regret the being a fool. I just am not quite so stupid as to think my being a fool was actually some great virtue.)

If all you want to is be a hero farting around with neglected, starved, and abused horses, racking up Karma points for undertaking gargantuan rehab projects, then of course you don't want to be bothered with horses who are just unwanted.

Taking unwanted horses, shooting them, and moving on to the next would be a way to deal with it on a wholesale level, doing the maximum good for the minumum expense. Rescues will have to forego their warm and fuzzies for the greater good. That price should not be to high for someone who prides themselves on their "compassion".

Lori,
    Thank you for all the hard work you do. Many people don't realize the emotional cost that is sometimes far greater than the financial cost the caregiver pays.
    It drives me crazy to see all the people posting "free" horses who would never have dreamed of giving it away when sound and healthy - people who blithely go off and get a replacement and have no issue spending the money on training board on their prospect. They find it completely realistic for someone else to pick up the cost of Pergolide, joint treatments, you name it.
    Yes, I am an idealist....but I like to believe that horses are more than our servants to be discarded the moment they can't perform to our expectations.
    Dee
    Last edited by DeeThbd; Aug. 5, 2008 at 01:37 AM. Reason: homonyms....sigh.
    Founder of the I LOFF my worrywart TB clique!
    Official member of the "I Sing Silly Songs to My Animals!" Clique
    http://wilddiamondintherough.blogspot.ca/

People dumping there horses because they cannot ride them any longer makes me sick. Anyone who does this is NOT a horse lover they are cynical cry babies that don't want to bother anymore. They are also the same people who dump there dogs or cats at the shelter.

Those people do not deserve the manure droppings off the bottom of my boot at the end of a hard day. They should be punished.

Shooting them is the most ridiculous stupid hideous thing ever. Just because you hate horses once they can no longer be ridden and are considered a burden doesn't mean everyone else does. Euthanize them humanely and give them the peace they deserve.

Remember if it wasn't for horses we would not be here. Humans owe them. PERIOD.
    To see it any other way it inhuman.

Lori thank you for helping the horses, try educating those who contact you give them choices like have phone numbers ready and cost amounts to have them put there horse down and disposed of or buried. Let them know there are other ways to handle this. I know you have probably told them this but if you can help them in the process it would make it easier for them. Putting an animal down is never easy especially one you have had so long.
    Ms Robin
    Farm Websites & SEO, Low Prices, Barter available!
    ~No Horses to Slaughter clique~

Actually, honey, a few weeks ago, I had my 36 year old mare put down -- a mare that hasn't been useful for anything but eating me out of house and home for the last 15 years.

The problem of unwanted horses is going to be increasing exponentially, as not every owner is going to as big a fool as I was in throwing money down a rat hole. (Note for gab bashers -- I do not regret the being a fool. I just am not quite so stupid as to think my being a fool was actually some great virtue.)

If all you want to is be a hero farting around with neglected, starved, and abused horses, racking up Karma points for undertaking gargantuan rehab projects, then of course you don't want to be bothered with horses who are just unwanted.

Taking unwanted horses, shooting them, and moving on to the next would be a way to deal with it on a wholesale level, doing the maximum good for the minumum expense. Rescues will have to forego their warm and fuzzies for the greater good. That price should not be to high for someone who prides themselves on their "compassion".
    I guess it depends on how you look at it. If you look at it at pure logical level-a horse as a means to an end -yeah then one is a fool to keep a horse that is "useless" for years instead of shooting it.
    But if you look at a horse more as a partner/friend , someone you have shared a lot with and you got a lot out of-providing that horse with everything is really not a sacrifice. In case for whatever reason you can't-maybe you passed away or lost your job/home whatever, then a rescue stepping in to save such a creature would be good. That is the "feel" intangible part -very subjective.
    I think what the OP is referring to is people who just have horses and dump them when their usefulness is up-no reason, no hardship-just you are not useful -so here take it over. The very least they can do is euthanise -a 20+ year old stallion that is not trained very well is going to have a tough life ahead of him. So better to euthanize then try and throw him away like a piece of garbage.
    My B.O runs an unofficial rescue-no I.R.S stuff-she does not advertise-does not take donations etc. Usually if she comes across an animal in dire need in her own circle-she will take it in-but tries to keep it quiet for fear of being swamped. I am really surprised by the people who abandon them. There is a carraige draft horse-worked all his life and they were going to send him off to auction-now where is a 20+ year old draft horse going to end up in auction?? Especially here in Sothern California-with Mexico is so close. Wouldn't it be better if they just euthanize him?? Then my own mustang. Somebody adopted him from BLM and tried and couldn't gentle him-they got progressively rougher and he got progressivly more aggressive. They dumped him-that person has their own property and a couple of horses-money not an issue. I felt sorry and also bonded with him and got him for free-he is now my project horse-real nice guy. he is comng along nicely. Almost every horse has a story like that -you just wonder-these people-money is not an issue-and some have had the same horse and actually made a ton of money over the years and then just want to dump them. But again I guess they may be looking at it rationally-pure logic-where the horse is a profit center and now that he is not working suddenly is a cost center...so just ship it off. Nobody is saying to keep the horse for ever-that is their choice-but the least you can do is give it a few months off, good rest, some kindness and euthanize it instead of shipping to the feedlot.

Quote Originally Posted by msrobin View Post
    Shooting them is the most ridiculous stupid hideous thing ever.
    Nonsense. A properly placed bullet is the epitome of "humane" euthanasia. It is immediate, it is inexpensive, and it does not turn the carcass into a toxic waste dump. If all you have to give up to get that is the warm and fuzzies of some sissy, it's a good deal all around.

Nonsense. A properly placed bullet is the epitome of "humane" euthanasia. It is immediate, it is inexpensive, and it does not turn the carcass into a toxic waste dump. If all you have to give up to get that is the warm and fuzzies of some sissy, it's a good deal all around.
    While I don't like gab's delivery, I couldn't agree more here. We've euthanized 5 horses in the last 6 years or so....we've never actually shot one but we have read up on it in the case of an emergency. In fact, all horse owners should be aware of how to dispatch a horse quickly and humanely. My trainer once had to stand with a horse waiting for the vet to arrive to euthanize it - it had lost it's lower hind leg below the hock (it was gone). Sure the horse was probably in shock but to hear her describe those minutes...it's unbelievably painful.
    I had a cat that was hit by a car in my barn once. It would have been cruel (and horrifying) to pick it up and drive it to the vet.....I felt great relief that I was able to put an end to her suffering with what my husband had taught me about using a gun. I've never had to do it again, but it was NOT stupid, or hideous.

Taking unwanteds and shooting them might make you feel better about a particular rescue organization, g/b's. But if you just put pen to paper it seems to be cost prohibitive and would take up alot of time and resources that could be given to horses who actually are in need of a home as opposed to horses who already have a home, but whose owners are just tired of dealing w/them.

The bullet might be cheap but disposing of their bodies might not be. Not everyone is privvy to an easy disposal system. sylvia
    Never explain yourself to someone who is committed to misunderstanding you.