The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Fair Hill Dressage Breed Show

I didn't want to highjack another thread going on so wanted to start a new one to say how much breeders like myself appreciate all the hard work that show secretaries like Lori K do!!! This weekend was a great success and even though the numbers were a bit down (blame it on gas prices etc...) we had a wonderful time presenting our young stock! I am so very proud of how well we did as well as how well our fellow breeder performed. It is always so very hard to get babies off the farm for their very first show and the two we brought really behaved well. I attribute that to the very relaxed atmosphere of such a nice show to attend. My hats go off to Lori and her volunteers as well as the many people that offered a hand to us and made this weekend such a great experience. We will definitely be there again come next year and our farm would be pleased to offer any help to Lori and her gang as needed! Here are a few pics of some of our babies that attended.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	LJS Meringue yrl sportpony.jpg 
Views:	102 
Size:	33.9 KB 
ID:	22235   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	LJS Cu Roi FairHill.jpg 
Views:	90 
Size:	29.2 KB 
ID:	22236   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	LJS Aesthetic FairHill.jpg 
Views:	102 
Size:	38.2 KB 
ID:	22237  

Cute babies! I especially like the bay... lovely little fellow/lady.

Quote Originally Posted by quietann View Post
    Cute babies! I especially like the bay... lovely little fellow/lady.
    Thanks, he's my favorite this year too. He is more hunter/jumper bred and although nice sweeping movement it really is a bit flat kneed so this was not his venue. We took him anyway to get him off the farm and get one under his belt so to speak. I plan to show him on the line as a yearling if we still have him next year. He was so calm Sat. he just quietly munched the grass waiting his turn in the ring, never screamed or anything. I think he will do well in the hunter shows, I hope.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Royeating.jpg 
Views:	76 
Size:	45.9 KB 
ID:	22241  

I want to thank Lori too -- I know what a production it is to put on a show like that, and I know she was concerned about attendance. My farm is two hours away from FH, and I ended up bailing out on bringing my three youngsters, primarily because of fuel prices and the cost of stabling and staying overnight. I heard it was a great show. Did anyone attend the pony star search exhibition? I was interested in entering my ASPR yearling half-Welsh pony, mostly just to see what it was about.

Quote Originally Posted by vcarson View Post
    I want to thank Lori too -- I know what a production it is to put on a show like that, and I know she was concerned about attendance. My farm is two hours away from FH, and I ended up bailing out on bringing my three youngsters, primarily because of fuel prices and the cost of stabling and staying overnight. I heard it was a great show. Did anyone attend the pony star search exhibition? I was interested in entering my ASPR yearling half-Welsh pony, mostly just to see what it was about.
    I wish you had been able to make it. My daughter put her half Welsh pony in the yearling star search class, but she was the only one in the class. Although it was nice to get another show under her pony's belt it would of been nice to have competition. Her pony is the palomino in the first posting in this thread. She is by Misty Mount Brynmor. What is your pony's breeding? Do you have pics?

Awww shucks! Thanks Marie.
    If you really want the competition for your pony, you can always go up to the Royal winter fair. After all, you have qualified.
    I support and enable the USA bred horse and the USA breeder.

Thank You again to Lori and all your staff, it was a wonderful show with the very best weather possible!

I was a bit disappointed myself in the turnout for the Star Search Challenge, but also feel it was a rough year to start, and feel it will grow with consistency: especially if those interested remind their US pony registry associations to publicize it to their memberships..

Thank you again Lori for being adventurous enough to include the Challenge for pony enthusiasts! I hope it grows to be popular like the BITUSA program, for which we are all very grateful.
    Last edited by MagicRoseFarm; Aug. 18, 2008 at 05:04 PM.
    "It's not how good you ride, It's how good your horse covers for you." -Kristan
    Magic Rose Farm- home of Beste Gold & Hot Shot
    Beste Gold & Offspring on Facebook
    Magic Rose Farm Warmbloods on FB

More kudos to Lori form here! Fair Hill is great for me since it is only 45 min. away.
    Some classes has light entries but many of the Saturday in hand classes had nice attendance like the 11 horses in the AWR class.

Woo Hoo! Great show, so kudos to the entire Chesapeake
    Equestrian Events team, and for the great photos so far. So many beautiful horses!
    Anne
    -------
    "Where knowledge ends violence begins." B. Ljundquist

Quote Originally Posted by lorik View Post
    Awww shucks! Thanks Marie.
    If you really want the competition for your pony, you can always go up to the Royal winter fair. After all, you have qualified.
    Would be fun but it's my daughter's pony and she will be back in college then. Be nice to see the results though. Pretty cool idea, there are so many nice ponies out there that should be taken seriously.

But back to the show, even with some lite entries in some classes, the point for many breeders is not to win a ribbon (we all know that halter horses don't always make performance horses) but to get those babies off the farm and this type of early training is so valuable. Some of my youngsters that were shown here and there as babies were so much easier to show under saddle. And as the years increase, I will be the first to say, I like it being easier to show them under saddle later! Breed shows like Fair Hill are wonderful venues for us breeders and would love to see more. Once again, thanks Lori for bringing this one so close to home.

A wonderful show, agreed, and Lori and Ed busted their behinds to make sure all went smoothly ... which it did.

The entries may have been light, but the competition surely wasn't! Holy Smokes, the 2008 colt class had some really tough competition. With a 75.9 Mr. Dickens came in 5th!!! YIKES! EVERYONE was talking about HIlltop's Royal Prince foal. I didn't seem him, but I guess he made everyone's eyeballs fall out.
    "For God hates utterly
    The bray of bragging tongues."
    Sophocles, Antigone Spoken by the Leader of the Chorus of Theban Elders

Entries were about 10% down compared to last year. Not too bad, considering the cost of fuel. I'm hoping to do back to back one day shows next year so that everyone can get two scores with one weekend away.
    It will cut down on the under saddle a bit, but something will have to give. We'll see how things go.

Lori ROCKS big time. What would everyone do without her!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Bellfleur View Post
    Lori ROCKS big time. What would everyone do without her!!!!
    Just to make Lori *blush*, did you read her interview? I had a lot of fun writing it.
    "For God hates utterly

Hi Lori,

if you do two back-to-back shows, is there a chance that you could get different judges for the two days? I'm basing this on my experience with the last breed shows at Morven Park where the same two judges judged both days.

Maybe this is just me, but what I'm looking for is opinions from different judges because once my horses have been in one judge's class I understand how (s)he rates my horse(s) and don't need to stay another day for a repeat.

By the way, that is also the reason I chose not to go to Dressage at Devon (same judge as Morven Park) even though I had already qualified for the Cosequin Finals.
    Siegi Belz
    www.stalleuropa.com
    2007 KWPN-NA Breeder of the Year
    Dutch Warmbloods Made in the U. S. A.

Hey, Siegi ... don't they switch classes ... one day, judge 1 does the girls, second day, judge 1 does the boys? Not trying to pre-empt Lori ... just trying to confirm information.
    "For God hates utterly

Not to pre-empt Lori K, either, but I believe Oldenburg Mom is correct here - at least, that's been our experience at every back-to-back show we've been to for the past several years: One day, Judge A does the boys and Judge B does the girls, and the next day, the judges switch. In addition, the Judge A and B also switch off on any Materiale/Under Saddle and IBC classes. The huge benefit of the judging switch on back-to-back shows, of course, is you get two shows, with two separate and distinct chances to earn scores for year-end awards - on only one weekend. And with the price of gas and trailering these days, it sure is nice to have two year-end score opportunities, while only having to trailer to one location! Yay!

The only exception we've seen is that Judge A and B will often join together and judge the championship and/or Grand Championship classes as a team.

Regarding the USDFBC finals at DAD (assume that's what "Cosequin Finals" was a reference to?), every time we've showed in the finals, at least FOUR judges have judged our class - two teams of two judges, with the final score calculated from the two separate scoresheets. We received two score sheets with scores and comments, each signed by two judges, for each class entered. So, even if you've shown under one judge before during the year or at DAD, three other judges have their opinions counted in the final scoring. A pretty fair way to do it, it seems!
    Winter Mill Farm
    www.wintermillfarm.com

The thought is that one judge will judge the girls one day and the boys the next. That gives the competitor two scores toward the three they need for HOY awards with USEF.

The VADA/Nova shows had the judges switched for the 'open' classes but due to the fact that one judge had to leave early to catch a plane, some of the IBC classes had to use the same judge both days.

If I do two shows over two days next year, I will have one judge do X classes on Saturday and Y classes on Sunday. The other judge will do Y classes on Saturday and X classes on Sunday.

Just adding my thanks for the Fair Hill Show. We had a great time and it was a wonderful experience for our colt.

I would LOVE it if you did back to back shows next year. I never want to cart my horses long distances to get that third score, but it's frustrating when your horse does well and can't be eligible for the HOY awards because you don't have enough scores. I think it would be wonderful to have the back to back opportunities at Fair Hill.

BTW, mistyjewell and I were talking at Fair Hill and were saying we wished there was a showing opportunity in October. It is usually nice weather then and being later in the season, it would give people a chance to take recently weaned- weanlings somewhere, particularly later foals. So lorik, have you ever considered having a post-Devon breed show at Fair Hill?
    www.heartofgoldfarm.com

RIP "Rio" (BW-Clarion) 2000-2009. Bright Spirit, Brave Heart, Loving Soul. I'll love and miss you forever.

Since the show season is officially over for the year at the end of September, I have never even entertained the thought of an October show. USDF only accepts scores from shows that commence prior to the Sept 30 deadline. After that, points would go to the next competition year. That's fine for most performance shows since the age of the horse does not matter. For breed shows, it's a different issue.