The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default best match for a morgan mare?

just for fun, if you were to breed this morgan mare to get a dressage horse, what kind of stallion would you breed her to? another morgan? a friesian? a warmblood? a lusitano?

i am loving the dutch harness horse, zion, on this website:

http://brejdsporthorses.com/stallions.html

but don't really think he'd be a good match for a 14.2 morgan? i also happen to like their friesian stallion and their arab stallions. but don't know if either of those would provide a good dressage-type either.

a poor picture of the mare can be found here:

http://groups.msn.com/ArabClassy/sho...oto&PhotoID=47

pedigree here: http://www.allbreedpedigree.com/country+pride+katrina

any suggestions?

Unless you absolutely SWEAR that you are going to keep the resulting foal for yourself, breed to a Morgan. IMHO, there is next to zero market for a Morgan cross of just about any type, except for Morab fanciers and a few Morgan/TB lovers. You're really probably best off finding a sport Morgan stallion to breed to.

I'm not knowledgeable enough to say anything about any particular stallions, or whether the mare is breeding quality (didn't look at the pics, so can't say), so I won't.

(Just for the record, this is from someone who intends to breed her Morgan mare to a TB sometime in the future)
    Founder, Higher Standards Leather Care Addicts Anonymous
    Capitalization is the difference between helping your Uncle Jack off a horse and helping your uncle jack off a horse.

Quote Originally Posted by class View Post
    just for fun, if you were to breed this morgan mare to get a dressage horse, what kind of stallion would you breed her to? another morgan? a friesian? a warmblood? a lusitano?
    pedigree here: http://www.allbreedpedigree.com/country+pride+katrina

any suggestions?

ya know,she is related thru her sire line to a poster here

anyway....another Morgan would make something "useful" in two places...dressagy and a breed ring...

I do not think her colt could carry a Fresian's heft on her legs..

a Warmblood (depending on breed) would also be "see above" unless you went for a Trak with some nice neck set...

as for a Lusitano, her neck base leaves me to wonder how such a known cresty breed would do in result as well...does she have the hip/loin to balance it?

of course a different pic would/could change all the above
    Production Acres,Pro A Welsh Cobs
    I am one of the last 210,000 remaining full time farmers in America.We feed the others.

I agree 100% with pattnic

This is who I would breed to

http://www.minglewoodfarm.com/Em-JacsTenacity.html

His first foal is doing Grand Prix dressage in Massachusetts.
    "Against stupidity the gods themselves contend in vain" ~Friedrich Schiller

Quote Originally Posted by Eclectic Horseman View Post
    I agree 100% with pattnic

This is who I would breed to

http://www.minglewoodfarm.com/Em-JacsTenacity.html

His first foal is doing Grand Prix dressage in Massachusetts.
    agreed...and he's by Courage of Equinox...yummmy....

best
    I am one of the last 210,000 remaining full time farmers in America.We feed the others.

Quote Originally Posted by Tamara in TN View Post
    ya know,she is related thru her sire line to a poster here
    is it a secret for some reason? who are you alluding to?

thanks for the link to CJ, the morgan stallion, he looks like a great possibility.

[QUOTE]
    Quote Originally Posted by class View Post
    is it a secret for some reason? who are you alluding to?
    there is a poster here who's family created the Sire line of your mare....it's not a WWII type secret, but maybe I'll "dig" her into fessing up

The Morgan crosses I've seen that are nice are Tbred and Friesian crosses - and there is a decent market for them. Having said that, depending on what you want, I'd probably also take a good look at a nice Sport type Morgan. Look at the Morgans who are showing up consistently in the USDF All Breeds Awards, and look at their bloodlines.
    www.MysticOakRanch.com Friesian/Warmblood Crosses, the Ultimate Sporthorse
    Director, WTF Registry

A breeder and friend of ours has bred her lovely morgan mare on three occasions to our pony stallion Forrest Flame and each time the foals have been really super. All three have been First Premium foals at their inspections and we just recently had the older one here for backing as a 3 yr old...very very impressive.

I can send you photos if you are interested..sorry can't post them here.
    www.trevelyanfarm.com
    Follow us: http://www.facebook.com/#!/pages/Tre...1609022?ref=ts
    Breeders of Sport Horses & New Forest Sport Ponies

Default Cleveland Bay Cross???

I've seen some nice CB/Morgan crosses. There was one at Dressage at Devon that placed 2nd that was a CB/TB/Morgan cross. A very fancy little mare.
    Maria Hayes-Frosty Oak Stables
    Home to All Eyez On Me, 1998 16.2 Cleveland Bay Sporthorse Stallion
    & FrostyOak Hampton 2008 Pure Cleveland Bay Colt
    www.frostyoaks.com

I'd look at Morgans too, but a Lipizzan would make a nice cross. Could be registered half Lip. Similar size, compact, good bone, good gaits and collection ability for dressage. But gray if that's an issue.
    http://TouchstoneAcres.com
    Touchstone Acres Lipizzans, Standing N. Samira VI (Gray), N. XXIX-18(Black), more in 2014

it's not the edge of the earth, but you can see it from here

Me, I'd go baroque.

I have lusted deeply over both a morgan x friesan and a morgan x luso. You have to pick the right stallion regardless, but both are quite saleable crosses as well.

Then again, the right sport morgan stallion... you can't really go wrong there.
    InnisFailte Pinto Sporthorses & Coloured Cobs
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Bits are like cats, what's one more? (Petstorejunkie)

Sorta near the Devon Horse Show grounds...

My first choice? Another nice Morgan.

But my second choice? Go AMERICAN baby! Breed her to a really nice American Saddlebred. After all, most of our "root stock" is awfully similar.

The baroque breeds may offer you something with realy lofty movement, but too punched up to really "do it". I'd go for some elasticity and size.

Just another opinion....
    When someone shows you who they are, BELIEVE them- Maya Angelou
    www.americansaddlebredsporthorse.net
    http://www.asbsporthorse.blogspot.com/

Aul Magic

OKW Entrique and others

Some other Arab stallions

http://www.morab.com/

http://www.arabianhorses.org/default2.asp

It's a proven cross and the foal can be shown at all AHA events, eligible for Sweeps money if the sire is nominated, etc.

If I had a nice Morgan, I'd probably breed her to a Morgan, though. They're under-represented for such nice horses, imo .
    Still Crazy After All These Years

I agree with nearly everyone else, I'd choose a Morgan.

If not a Morgan, then Saddlebred or Arab. Known breeds, and similar types for crossing.

I've seen Moreisians, and I haven't yet seen one I'd want. It's an unproven designer breed without much of a market.

I've seen Morgan/Baroque (I think it was an Andalusian/x), didn't like it, it was all neck, with a sewing machine trot.

I've never personally seen a Morgan/Warmblood, but it seems like a risk because of the difference in types. For resale, I don't think there would be a market, because Morgan wouldn't appeal to most warmblood people, and I don't know how Morgan people would feel about it, but wouldn't they prefer a purebred?

Pattnic made a great point about whether you're keeping the foal for yourself. If you were certain you'd never ever need to sell it, then I guess you could be more open to unproven crosses because if the cross was unsuccessful, the foal would still have a home for life. Otherwise, I'd play it safe. Especially in this market.

Quote Originally Posted by pinecone View Post
    I agree with nearly everyone else, I'd choose a Morgan.

If not a Morgan, then Saddlebred or Arab. Known breeds, and similar types for crossing.

I've seen Moreisians, and I haven't yet seen one I'd want. It's an unproven designer breed without much of a market.

I've seen Morgan/Baroque (I think it was an Andalusian/x), didn't like it, it was all neck, with a sewing machine trot.

I've never personally seen a Morgan/Warmblood, but it seems like a risk because of the difference in types. For resale, I don't think there would be a market, because Morgan wouldn't appeal to most warmblood people, and I don't know how Morgan people would feel about it, but wouldn't they prefer a purebred?

Pattnic made a great point about whether you're keeping the foal for yourself. If you were certain you'd never ever need to sell it, then I guess you could be more open to unproven crosses because if the cross was unsuccessful, the foal would still have a home for life. Otherwise, I'd play it safe. Especially in this market.
    Morgan stallion Em-Jac's Tenacity (CJ)'s second get is a Morgan/Oldenburg cross and he is just starting to compete dressage at Training Level under the name "Lumiere." CJ's first foal, "Audacity," the one who competes successfully at Grand Prix is a Morgan/grade horse cross. The dam was a thoroughbred type of unknown pedigree.

It will be interesting to see if Lumiere is as successful in dressage as his sire's first colt!

Google Morgan sporthorse and see what you get. There are some good sporthorse lines out there. Look to balance your mare, but remember that you could get any part from either parent... so make sure the parts would go together decently in the offspring.

There is a spectacular black Morgan out there who has been showing very well in a variety of disciplines... I saw him this spring but I can't remember his name! He was quite Freisian-y, but not quite as heavy (and his head was prettier). He was awesome to watch.

Morgans are great horses, why go anywhere else? That stallion electric horseman posted the link to looks very nice.....

Lots more at http://www.morgandressage.org

But Cj is my favorite!

I have a very nice morgan x welsh cob mare. The cross is very well balanced, great gaits, and a wonderful mind. She is also very versatile but has the elasticity/scope of gaits that can put some warmbloods to shame. The key, however, is that the mare she's out of was of primarily old foundation lines and body style of the mare (morgan) is/was very close to the stallion's. Personally if I weren't a welsh cob person, I would stick with a morgan. There are some very, very nice stallions available, particularly 3 of my faves that are on the web site eclectic posted.