The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default What might happen if a death occurs in Hong Kong?

I've never been afraid to ask the hard questions, so...

If eventing has a death, horse or rider, in Hong Kong, what do you think will happen to eventing?

No doubt, all the recent publicity of eventing has pushed this question to the front of several people's mind.

Between both the NY Times and HBO, there has been a lot of people that have been made aware of what is happening in eventing.

Even out here in the badlands of Cali, I have been trying to quell people's concern over the safety of eventing.
    Last edited by Outfox; Aug. 4, 2008 at 04:19 AM.
    The more we look for that perfect spot, the harder it is to find.

I think if a death happens ANYWHERE, any time soon, it's going to be really bad. Obviously, yes, on the "center stage" that is the Olympics it would be an even worse tragedy, not for the individual (where tragedy should strike is sort of irrelevant to the person and their loved ones) but for the sport.

I'm hopeful the Chinese have their ducks in a row re: safety and preparedness.
    Click here before you buy.

Default based on what's happened so far???

Other than more negative publicity, which will only affect the folks that actually event (and their concerned spouses) nothing.

Cool What a weird topic!

Why would anyone start a thread on this? I am really beginning to think that the Eventing Board is looking for disaster to get all riled up about.

Can't we move on and deal with life as it occurs... not look for disaster or dream of potential disasters.

And yeah, adding to this thread makes me part of the very problem I'd like to move away from. I guess I think I can change the world with my words... oh well!

I think this is an interesting question.

One thing we've discussed on this board is how the sport organizations -- FEI, USEF, USEA -- have not had good crisis management, especially when it comes to PR.

Given that eventing and the recent accidents have been the subject of an unusually high number of very mainstream media reports in the lead-up to the Olympics, I'd like to think that the sport orgs are prepared to deal with the next crisis, which could be happening on a very prominent world stage.

Unfortunately, I don't think either the USEA or USEF has shown good crisis management skills, even as the casualties continue to pile up. Other NGBs, like British Eventing or the Equestrian Federation of Australia, have been collecting data and formulating safety plans for a number of years and are probably better equipped to provide a factual, informative response to a crisis.

There's also the issue of equine welfare and more specifically, the air quality in HK. HK had record pollution levels last week mostly due to a sharp increase in ground-level ozone, which can cause lung damage. The New York Times ran a good report on this, which also mentioned that HK air has more than double the particulate matter than is allowed in the US. I don't know how the US orgs are poised to deal with it if horses start collapsing. On the other hand, I'm sure the Chinese authorities have some good cover stories planned.

I hope nothing bad happens.

In my mid-forties I think I've finally learned the power of that sage old advice,

"Don't borrow trouble."

Time enough to deal with that very unfortunate happening if it happens. Meanwhile, continue to support improved safety discussions & efforts, and look forward optimistically to a thrilling, serious injury free competition!

Cheers,
    Arcadien

Quote Originally Posted by 2ndyrgal View Post
    Other than more negative publicity, which will only affect the folks that actually event (and their concerned spouses) nothing.
    People are comparing eventing with skydiving and other death-defying sports. My training buddy just got back from an Ironman Triathalon. Usually he has no interest in talking about horses. But, at the race, an article was floating around the competitors that ranked the three deadliest sports.

1)Skydiving - parachute failure
    2)Eventing - What???
    3)Triathalon - a good number of people drown, or have heart-attacks during the swim.

Triathalon used to be number two, so several competitors were joking about how much safer they were.

This kind of experience tells me that it IS bigger than just Event riders and their concerned spouses.
    The more we look for that perfect spot, the harder it is to find.

I think that skydiving is by far the riskiest sport, let's face it, if you fall or the horse falls, you 've got a 50/50 chance. If your chute fails or the plane crashes, well, those are just not odds I like, falls into the "don't tempt God, he might be busy" catagory for me.
    Triathletes that drown? I can't think there'd be many, too many people about to rescue you I should think, and heart attacks, well, there are some at marathons also, but that's a person pushing themselves too hard. I don't think eventing is death defying. Really. I think it can be dangerous if too little respect is paid to large inanimate objects by running at them hell bent for leather. I think if people would not blindly trust their horse that had no way to help him if he missed, there wouldn't be the problems there are.

I
    Triathletes that drown? I can't think there'd be many, too many people about to rescue you I should think, and heart attacks,
    I posted this thread about this last week. If you click on that link, you'll find a link to a very interesting New York Times article about the recent spike in triathlon swimming deaths.

I think that skydiving is by far the riskiest sport, let's face it, if you fall or the horse falls, you 've got a 50/50 chance. If your chute fails or the plane crashes, well, those are just not odds I like, falls into the "don't tempt God, he might be busy" catagory for me.
    Triathletes that drown? I can't think there'd be many, too many people about to rescue you I should think, and heart attacks, well, there are some at marathons also, but that's a person pushing themselves too hard. I don't think eventing is death defying. Really. I think it can be dangerous if too little respect is paid to large inanimate objects by running at them hell bent for leather. I think if people would not blindly trust their horse that had no way to help him if he missed, there wouldn't be the problems there are.
    One in 100,000 jumps results in death. Those are pretty good odds. That is also statistical fact.

Originally posted by 2ndyrgal:

I think it can be dangerous if too little respect is paid to large inanimate objects by running at them hell bent for leather.
    Ya think

Originally posted by 2ndyrgal:

I think if people would not blindly trust their horse that had no way to help him if he missed, there wouldn't be the problems there are.

I'm more reassured in the fact that the olympics invite only the best of the best of the best. The jumps are going to be at least a bit smaller and the course will run longer, but I'm not completely sure if this is a good or bad thing-I haven't evented enough to really judge that.

Regardless of the recent tragedies, I hope that therer are no major incidents as it were for all of the horses and riders in all three disciplines. From what I hear in the media, riders are reporting that the horses are adjusting well to the weather and enjoying the Jockey Club's facilities, so hopefully everyone with be on the top of their game!

Question FEI or IOC?

Who would be responsible for issuing a statement, IOC or FEI? Is the official organizer the Chinese Oympic committee or...? Who has appointed the ground Jury?
    breeder of Mercury!

remember to enjoy the moment, and take a moment to enjoy and give God the glory for these wonderful horses in our lives.BECAUSE: LIFE is What Happens While Making Other Plans

Clarksdale, MS--the golden buckle on the cotton belt

There were a couple of horse deaths AT Athens, weren't there? I seem to remember at least one event horse who had to be put down during or right after XC. As far as I know, there wasn't a huge flap about that.

I'm thinking that if there are any deaths, they will somehow get blamed on the HEAT and Humidity.

I would imagine that the IOC crisis management plan trumps all the others, if they have one. But, because equestrian is in Hong Kong and far from the rest of the Olympic officials, the FEI plan is probably the basis for response from the Organizers.

Just supposing.
    "I'm a lumberjack, and I'm okay."
    Thread killer Extraordinaire

The good thing about the olympics is that there are too many other sports going on and equestrian, especially being 200 miles away, will not be in the limelight at this olympics. Heck, hopefully everything goes smoothly in Beijing... I think what's going on in HK will be second to the hoopla.