The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by up-at-5 View Post
    Yankee???? I'm Canadian. Would a pile of poutine kill the ants??
    Fairly sure a pile of poutine will, eventually, kill anyone.

Default Thank you halo!

Did anyone click on the link halo posted? Here's what it had to say:
    Corn grits
    Ineffective. The theory is that the fire ants will eat the dry corn grits, drink some water, and then die as the corn grits expand inside them. The image of greedy little ants exploding like popcorn inside their mounds is very compelling. The problem is that fire ant workers only drink liquids; they are incapable of ingesting solids. Fire ant larvae will eat solid food, but they chew it up and mix it with saliva just like we do before they swallow it. Grits simply don't work, so any perceived effects are due to mound disturbance and colony movement. (Don't look so skeptical—it's true!)
    So what chemical company is Organic Gardening pimping for?

Tallabred is offline Working Hunter
    Original Poster

Grits kill ants
    Last edited by Tallabred; Aug. 5, 2008 at 03:48 PM. Reason: nasty members

We've had ant problems in the kitchen in the past, but the worst infestations were always in the bathrooms. The exterminator explained that they're very drawn to water. We quickly discovered that treating the bathrooms only meant they moved to the bedrooms, the closets, etc. There was no food anywhere they migrated to; they were just relocating the nests and continuing their scouting activities.

Anyway, I've never tried grits. It's something I probably will try for the yard and garden. (I'm not that comfortable putting out poison where bare feet and paws are apt to tread or where veggies might take something up through their roots.) For the house though: Amdro*. And you've got to treat the entire house. Take off every outlet and switch plate and dump a teaspoon of bait behind the sheetrock. Unless they're coming in at doors and windows, you shouldn't find anymore ants. Exterminator instructed us to do this, and we've never had an ant problem since.

*Other granulated baits may work just as well, but Amdro is the only one I've used.
    Jer 29: 11-13

Quote Originally Posted by up-at-5 View Post
    Yankee???? I'm Canadian...
    Honey-chile, anythin' Nawth of the Mason Dixon Line is Yankee Territory! Although I gotta admit hosting that NASCAR race this weekend did diminish the stigma quite a bit!

Would a pile of poutine kill the ants??
    Dunno. Are ants susceptable to clogged arteries?
    “There are two ways to conquer and enslave a nation. One is by the sword. The other is by debt.”
    John Adams

Quote Originally Posted by Tallabred View Post
    What other tricks do you have?
    Unfortunately that's really the only trick I remember. That and you need to weed a lot!

LetItBe
    Crayola Posse: Violet Blue

Default Another Trick

For in the house is to spreak mint leaves around. My mother-in-law used to put pieces of Spearmint chewing gum in her kitchen cabinets to combat ants. It seem to work for her. Worth a try and won't kill any humans or 4 legged animals.

"How do you cook your grits? Do you like them regular, creamy or al dente?"

Sorry I could not resist the words of Vincent La Guardia Gambini.....
    "Lighten up, Francis." -Stripes

"Too bad about the grits not working, though. Napalm is too good for em, IMO."

ROFLMAO
    Picture in my head of giant human with leetle teeny flame thrower going at them with scorched earth policy..

I just pour gasoline down the hole and light it. Same for ground bees...wait til they all home for the night..sneak up on them- drown them in gas and whoom! all go byby. Did I mention I am alergic as hell to both red ants and yellow jackets? maybe its the colors..
    the NOT!! Spoiled!! Arabian Protectavest poster pony lives on in my heart http://i118.photobucket.com/albums/o...pscc2a5330.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by 867-5309 View Post
    Sorry I could not resist the words of Vincent La Guardia Gambini.....
    "Do the laws of physics not apply in your kitchen?"

My successful fire ant treatment is orange oil. Dilute with water (a few ounces to a gallon) and thoroughly drench the mound. Watch and cackle diabolically as the little buggers die painful deaths, their little exoskeletons failing.

Slightly labor intensive, compared to chemical means, but totally safe. And such a lovely orange scent!! :-)

I love that I can use it safely around kids and foals.
    "And now," cried Max, "let the wild rumpus start!"

Quote Originally Posted by pAin't_Misbehavin' View Post
    Well, ok, you're probably right - WTF do a bunch of PhD's whose life's work it is to study this stuff know, anyway? They're no doubt just running dog lackeys of some big chemical company with an anti-grit agenda.
    *snort* HAHAHAHAHAHAHA. That's just too funny. I mean, maybe the grits DO work,... maybe boiling water DOES work. I don't know. But pAint ... that's just tooooo funny.
    "For God hates utterly
    The bray of bragging tongues."
    Sophocles, Antigone Spoken by the Leader of the Chorus of Theban Elders

Sorry I could not resist the words of Vincent La Guardia Gambini

are they Magic Grits?

Are you suuuuuuuure?
    _\\\\]
    -- * > hoopoe

www.meanderingwa.blogspot.com

Quote Originally Posted by Equibrit View Post
    Old fashioned BORAX will take care of all the pesky bugs including termites.
    If ants are coming in then you need to keep the kitchen cleaner! NO ant snacks!
    For indoors I have tried every brand of ant poison the the ONLY one that worked well was the Terro liquid ant killer (which BTW: the active ingredient is Borax).
    That doesn't help you outside....but did the trick in the kitchen and ours was being overrun with both sweet ants and caprenter ants. The big ones were extra gross.....I was very close to calling an exterminator when I tried the Terro and Poof! Ants gone!! (there were so many of them it didn't happen overnight....but it DID work and I did see ants all over the ant traps. With the other brands all they did was walk around them.....)

Quote Originally Posted by goeslikestink View Post
    time to get mean i hate ants in the kitchen, mix up all your disfectants and cleaning flulids aka bleech to, use rubber gloves, then chuck out anything thats been open wash jars atfer ward and anything that was seeled -put aside and muck out cupboard ie take all the things out

then blast them away in a spray bottle of gunk------------ they dont ccome back they hate and they die -shame
    I did that when the war on ants began. Once they are nesting in the walls and stuff it does not help. They come right back again.

I have not been on Chronicle Forums for a long time due to the negative posts. I guess that I will leave again.

I posted this because it worked for me. Better with the fire ants than black ants but it still worked for me. My horses do not roll in ants, my barn is free of ants, my chickens do not have to live with ants anymore and my vegetables do not get ants. I do not have to deal with the nasty smell of the chemical crap.

I am tired of everything being based on chemicals - I eat my own vegetables, eggs and milk - my migraines are gone and I feel better.

I posted this so that someone else might benefit from it too. Bye
    Bye! Don't let the door hit you on the way out.

PS - Negative! You posted a myth, and you're insulted that thinking people didn't swallow it hook grit and sinker! There are a lot of reasons why ants do and do not find an environment attractive, and when the neighborhood isn't supportive of them anymore for some reason they up and move. They also have life cycles. And seasons, like all insects. Grow up and read about the subject like a big girl instead of getting huffy when people challenge your facts. This bullitin board is filled with thousands of intelligent readers and farm owners who take these subjects seriously and have serious conversations about the topics here. You may enjoy a board which tells everyone they are wonderful and doesn't read critically.
    Airborne? Oh. Yes, he can take a joke. Once. After that, the joke's on you.

I have not been on Chronicle Forums for a long time due to the negative posts. I guess that I will leave again.

I posted this because it worked for me. Better with the fire ants than black ants but it still worked for me. My horses do not roll in ants, my barn is free of ants, my chickens do not have to live with ants anymore and my vegetables do not get ants. I do not have to deal with the nasty smell of the chemical crap.

I am tired of everything being based on chemicals - I eat my own vegetables, eggs and milk - my migraines are gone and I feel better.

I posted this so that someone else might benefit from it too. Bye
    Let's not get our knickers in a knot! Grits are good for one thing: shrimp! Preferably with bacon, butter, cheese & garlic. We tried the grits thing years ago and the little buggers just laughed at us. Orange oil sounds interesting, may have to give that one a try.
    I hate fire ants with a passion. A bunch of us went bullfroggin' at the pond one night and I stood right in an ant pile and they got all up in my jeans legs. I stripped down right there, the heck with modesty! Nasty cretins~ I've always figured if the government wants to get information out of someone, they should put 'em on a float in a swimming pool with no way out, then pour in a few thousand fire ants. They'll talk!
    Crayola posse~ orange yellow, official pilot
    Proud owner of "High Flight" & "Shorty"

Let's not get our knickers in a knot! Grits are good for one thing: shrimp! Preferably with bacon, butter, cheese & garlic.
    Uh, you wouldn't happen to have a recipe for that handy, would you? It sounds divine.

I think that shrimp recipe sounds devein.
    Airborne? Oh. Yes, he can take a joke. Once. After that, the joke's on you.

The fallacy for saying grits must work because the mound was gone, is this. Fire ants don't always build mounds. Often when they move their mound, it stays underground. Might stay there for weeks. You think you killed them, but you didnt. They just moved. Now wait for the first good rain. Next morning you will see a slew of new mounds. They always build after a rain. I am an avid Amdro user. I had 10 acres in Florida, and used to have a lot of fireants. I use Amdro sparingly, on established mounds, and I also sprinkle around the property, around the house, around the barn. It works.