The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Chalk works well in the house. We had a problem with ants coming in around the fireplace last summer. I drew a chalk line and they wouldn't cross it. Of course my kids thought it would be funny to draw chalk circles around every ant they found so I ended up having to hide the chalk. There's rarely food in my den, and fortunately they never made it to the kitchen.

OMG, I'm so loving this!!! The ants have gotten the better of me this year.

My absolute favorite way to kill a mound is to pour boiling water on it. We've discussed the mental implications of this before - but I can't help it - I love to see those $%#@ fire ants suffer!

This year the problem has become too widespread and I was actually going to search or start a thread about killing ants in the pastures. In addition to fire ant, I have little bitty ants that bite like crazy and they don't build mounds. The guy who works at the farm says they live in 'mats'. Whatever, I want them gone! I'm going shopping for a big bag of grits
    Y'all ain't right!

Quote Originally Posted by SarahandSam View Post
    There's no food out--they're somehow climbing into the bread bags though. Bastard ants.
    time to get mean i hate ants in the kitchen, mix up all your disfectants and cleaning flulids aka bleech to, use rubber gloves, then chuck out anything thats been open wash jars atfer ward and anything that was seeled -put aside and muck out cupboard ie take all the things out

then blast them away in a spray bottle of gunk------------ they dont ccome back they hate and they die -shame

Dang it, looks like I'm the first one to come along and burst the bubble.

No, it does not work. Ants don't eat solid food - they liquify it before consuming it (think Jeff Goldblum in The Fly). So, as satisfying an image as an exploding ant may be, it's impossible for a bit o' grit to get inside an ant and swell.

It appears to work because when you dump anything too near an anthill, you disturb the mound and the workers move the nest. That's why, when you use ant bait, the directions always say to sprinkle it at least six feet away from the anthill.

Clemson Extension Service have done lots of research into RIFA (red imported fahr aints), which you can read all about on their website. http://www.clemson.edu/sandhill/page.htm?pageId=1029 Last I checked, they recommend Amdro Pro and an IGR for pastures.

West of Mims, East of Oveido. If you figure it out, please let my mail carrier know.

This year, I've become all about the boiling water.

The dang things colonized under the mats on the concrete slabs of my washrack. Talk about dancing horses! Ugly. And my fault. Or at least that's the opinion of the two who were on the rack when I accidentally flooded the colony.

They weren't the fire ants, thank the BonDieu, but we still had little pustule bite marks on one mare's leg.

Too bad about the grits not working, though. Napalm is too good for em, IMO.

We do have a cheering section for the anoles when they eat them. Hey, does anyone know if anteaters would survive down here?
    Visit the new guy's journey at http://www.OnAndOffTheTrack.blogspot.com

Tallabred is offline Working Hunter
    Original Poster

Grits kill ants
    Last edited by Tallabred; Aug. 5, 2008 at 04:51 PM. Reason: nasty members

Original Poster

Grits kill ants
    Last edited by Tallabred; Aug. 5, 2008 at 04:50 PM. Reason: nasty members

Well, ok, you're probably right - WTF do a bunch of PhD's whose life's work it is to study this stuff know, anyway? They're no doubt just running dog lackeys of some big chemical company with an anti-grit agenda.

Actually, a lot of our bio-research here is funded by the ag/chemical companies.

I have had the worst ant problems this year. We put andro down in the yard, and guess where the ants went? INTO MY CLOTHES CLOSET. There is not food in there, I guarantee you. As a matter of fact, all of my clothes got dumped in the washer, and out into the driveway. I still have piles in the garage.

I will try the grits, and the andro on opposite sides of the yard, and see what happens.
    FREE TACK/APPAREL ADS: BITS AND BARTER BOARD: http://bitsandbarter.proboards.com/i...ay&thread=5450

OK, I don't know why this bothers me so much, but look, here's a nice generalized encyclopedia entry that tells how ants digest food:
    Adult ants digest only liquid foods. Some ants obtain nutrients from solid food, such as seeds, but they must turn this food into a liquid before swallowing it. These ants mix digestive juices into the food to help dissolve it. They then use their tongues to lap up the resulting juices and semiliquid bits of food. Once inside the mouth, partially solid food enters a chamber beneath the mouth opening, where a filter prevents solid particles from entering the digestive tract. These particles are pressed into a solid pellet that the ant removes from its mouth.
    From http://encarta.msn.com/encyclopedia_...353_2/ant.html
    See? Even supposing grits expand upon contact with digestive juices (in which case I think I and most of my neighbors would have exploded long ere this), this process would take place outside the ant.

naters - How awful - I probably would've torched the pile of clothes once they were in the driveway. I once had fire ants come in under my window and crawl into a pair of shorts I'd discarded on the floor beside my bed. Next morning, I rolled out of bed all unsuspecting and put them on. I must've been bitten about a dozen times before I could get them off again. Fire ants? We hates 'em, precious.

Um. . Naters, where those your ants in my kitchen the other night!!???? I was covered and attacked before I even knew I was standing in a living carpet of ants. Ouch!

And thees ants did not play by the rules. This was night--very late night. And they had to cross black to get to me. They are not suppose to cross black or be active at night.

I think the ants are on to us and are doing their own research. Maybe they moved becuase they dont like grits and now like our kitchen foods better? If all I got to eat was grits I'd move too

I will try talc. I have never heard that didn't work and I'd rather be all baby fresh then covered with andron.

I think grits would kill just about anything, let alone the ants!!!!

signed : not a fan of grits

We had sprayed around the outside of the house, and I think it drove them inside. I happened to see one moving on the closet floor, then another then another, etc....

They were EVERYWHERE
    FREE TACK/APPAREL ADS: BITS AND BARTER BOARD: http://bitsandbarter.proboards.com/i...ay&thread=5450

Original Poster

Grits kill ants
    Last edited by Tallabred; Aug. 5, 2008 at 04:49 PM. Reason: nasty members

Quote Originally Posted by Tallabred View Post
    I guess that Amdro Pro and IGR are funding their "research". Clemson did not try the grits they just denounced the theory. I will buy another $2.50 bag of grits and put it out - The ants can work on their own theory.
    I have to agree w/ this. In my experience, the fire ants move the hill IF AND ONLY IF YOU DON'T PUT ENOUGH GRITS ON. What I found was that I had to literally bury the anthill in a huge mound of grits. But it definitely did work. I used them in a friend of mine's yard where I was farm-sitting - he had at least 15 anthills out there. By the time he got back, he had none!
    "The standard you walk by is the standard you accept."--Lt. Gen. David Morrison, Austalian Army Chief

Quote Originally Posted by up-at-5 View Post
    I think grits would kill just about anything, let alone the ants!!!!

signed : not a fan of grits
    The problem with you dadburned yankees is y'all just don't know how to make a good red-eye gravy! Black coffee that's set in the pot overnight is the secret!
    “There are two ways to conquer and enslave a nation. One is by the sword. The other is by debt.”
    John Adams

Southern California - on a freeway someplace

Southern Cal has ants more-or-less year round, tho I have yet to see a fire ant. The most satisfying thing I ever did was the boiling water method. Had some luck with chalk, more on vertical surfaces than horizontal ones. The most effective thing was to hire an ant service. Practical for a 984 sq ft house on a proportionally-sized lot, perhaps not for acreage. Which is fine, b/c I can't afford acreage. Have seen maybe 10 ants in the last two years, inside and out. That doesn't count the ones that come along with plants from the nursery; however, I can put the plant in the ground, ants and all, and still have no ants. No ants in the trash. No ants marching across my counters or floor.

Maybe the moral to this is to hire a professional.
    The Evil Chem Prof

Quote Originally Posted by Frank B View Post
    The problem with you dadburned yankees is y'all just don't know how to make a good red-eye gravy! Black coffee that's set in the pot overnight is the secret!
    Yankee???? I'm Canadian. Would a pile of poutine kill the ants??