The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Weanlings and chains?

Have you ever seen anyone show a weanling (in DSHB) with a chain over its nose? Is this appropriate?
    Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm."
    --Winston Churchill
    https://www.facebook.com/pages/Hills...h/112931293227
    www.HillsideHRanch.com

No and no. IMHO.

Agreed, NO and NO.
    OMGIH, I loff my mares clique

Yeah, I agree, but I was recently at a show where several people did this. I hadn't seen it before and obviously it isn't against the rules, so I was curious about this. Although for a few of the handlers, it might have been the difference between a serious wreck and just being slightly out-of-control. Some of those babies were wild!
    Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm."
    --Winston Churchill
    https://www.facebook.com/pages/Hills...h/112931293227
    www.HillsideHRanch.com

Quote Originally Posted by Hillside H Ranch View Post
    Yeah, I agree, but I was recently at a show where several people did this. I hadn't seen it before and obviously it isn't against the rules, so I was curious about this. Although for a few of the handlers, it might have been the difference between a serious wreck and just being slightly out-of-control. Some of those babies were wild!
    when your "weanling" is 9 mos old and stands 5'8" I doubt a chain on his nose will cause him much drama it might even make a better man out of him later...
    Production Acres,Pro A Welsh Cobs
    I am one of the last 210,000 remaining full time farmers in America.We feed the others.

Yes, and yes. Beats seeing weanlings (and up) charging ahead of their handlers and sometimes kicking out at them, too, while they're at it.

I'm 100% with Tamara. I see little point in trying to hold 600# of charging colt with a strap of leather when a hitting a chain a couple times can quickly initiate thinking processes conducive to better, not to mention safer, behavior.

Quote Originally Posted by fish View Post

I'm 100% with Tamara. I see little point in trying to hold 600# of charging colt with a strap of leather when a hitting a chain a couple times can quickly initiate thinking processes conducive to better, not to mention safer, behavior.
    is that a fancy way of saying "get their heart right early" ???

I like to do these things so that they hit the chain and they understand the boundary it sets for them and they decide walking with me suits them better...it's not the jerk jerk jerk back up back up back up used on grown and intentionally unruly animals...
    Production Acres,Pro A Welsh Cobs
    I am one of the last 210,000 remaining full time farmers in America.We feed the others.

Yes..on occasion we show weanlings with a chain over their nose. Mostly at DAD where it can be a zoo and bottom line...I would rather have the chain and have the control if needed than for them to get away from me and get harmed or harm others. Now..what we do is wrap the chain in cotton and black Vet Wrap to soften the effect and the chain doesn't come into play unless we need it.
    www.trevelyanfarm.com
    Follow us: http://www.facebook.com/#!/pages/Tre...1609022?ref=ts
    Breeders of Sport Horses & New Forest Sport Ponies

Quote Originally Posted by Lesley Feakins View Post
    Yes..on occasion we show weanlings with a chain over their nose. Mostly at DAD where it can be a zoo and bottom line...I would rather have the chain and have the control if needed than for them to get away from me and get harmed or harm others. Now..what we do is wrap the chain in cotton and black Vet Wrap to soften the effect and the chain doesn't come into play unless we need it.
    Ditto. And by DAD, most weanlings are older. I would never show a young (<5 mo weanling with a chain).

How do people feel about one of those rope halter's for an unruly 4-month old colt @ an inspection? I'm going to be helping a friend at an inspection soon and went out to work with him yesterday - the sweet colt of a month ago is going through quite the phase! And his mother is the culprit - far too laid back & let's him get away with anything...

I hate those rope halters and think they are for dudes . I've seen more people get into trouble with those halters and the 400 foot long lead .

There is a very humane way to "run" a chain through a halter for control without getting much jerk or pinch. First, have a well (snug) fitting leather halter. Then use a shank with a (short) chain. Put the chain through the ring you would normally snap your lead to, then through the side ring, then over the nose, then through the off side ring, and lastly snap the snap into the ring under the chin. (where you started). This makes a loop of chain around the nose, but won't pull the halter sideways. If you want some cushion you can run the chain over the nose band of the halter. This is my favorite way to use a chain. It stays put and will keep the horse from dragging you along. I think you are doing a youngster a big favor if you establish leading rules when they are small(er).

I actually think rope halters are VERY effective in helping horses learn better manners. I would not use one at an inspection, but would work with the colt in questions daily with it until he understands his "job" of behaving while being led. Then you can use the reg halter for the show. Good luck. Also, I don't see any serious harm with a small chain on an older baby, but not a very young one. And only used as Tamara suggests, not to JERK on.
    Destiny is not a matter of chance, it is a matter of choice; it is not a thing to be waited for, it is a thing to be achieved. - William Jennings Bryan

http://www.halcyon-hill.com