The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 3 of 16 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

What is the cost for shipping say to Georgia. Anyone have a clue?
    Ms Robin
    Farm Websites & SEO, Low Prices, Barter available!
    ~No Horses to Slaughter clique~

Quote Originally Posted by msrobin View Post
    What is the cost for shipping say to Georgia. Anyone have a clue?
    $1 a mile is probably the cheapest you will find. Call any of the big shippers. They have been known on occasion to cut a deal for a legitimate rescue horse.

For those pointing fingers at the racing industry, stop. These horses came from a BREEDER. You want to point fingers? Start sending letters to The Blood-Horse or The Thoroughbred Times or the Thoroughbred Daily News or the Daily Racing Form and ask why on earth there are 5,555 YEARLINGS catalogued in the Keeneland September sale?

Greed. That's the real culprit here.
    "My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world." ~ Jack Layton

Don't forget the trailer-pooling thread! You may get some help there with shipping. Even if you have to hire someone to fill in the gaps, you'd still get a nice horse for next to nothing.

God, I wonder how many mares those stallions have tried to cover in the lot? If they weren't all preggo before...

Woodland, I totally disagree with you.
    The PMU farmers were not producing premarin to sell the by product, but for the pregnant urine to sell to Wyeth to make conjugated estrogen in the form of premarin, prempro and premphase.
    The foals were just adding a bit of gravy to their overall income when they realized they could sell them or place them with rescues. But it was not the reason why the pmu foals flooded the market.

As far as the notion you can't save them all, well that is a perspective of looking at things with the glass half full or half empty.

I do agree it needs to start at the top, but grassroots have won a lot of battles too. Its apathy that loses the battle.

I emailed Priscilla, and apparently they still aren't sure if the horses will be auctioned today or not.

She said that people can either send donations towards the purchase of the mares, or they have a buyer who can purchase mares for interested parties. They have a farm owned by a vet in Pheonix where they can stay until their new homes can take them.

If there are enough interested folks on the east coast, my boyfriend and I will drive to AZ to pick the horses up and deliver them to their new homes. We have room for 6 mares on the trailer.

*fingers crossed* that the auction doesn't happen today, so there is more time to get organized.
    -Jessica

So awful. If I was closer I'd take as many as I could in a heartbeat. Please let us know if you need bail money.

Are there any TB/bloodstock sales due? It's a shame the buyer won't wait for one of those. He'd be sure to make more anyway.
    Horse Show Names Free name website with over 6200 names. Want to add? PM me!

Has anyone sent this to FHOTD?
    Horse Show Names Free name website with over 6200 names. Want to add? PM me!

FHOTD posts here, and I'll bet she'll pick up on it if it fits.
    Barbaro Cultist, Metabolic Nazi

Thank you to Vineyridge for all her help in getting this out there. If I was back home I would for sure be rehoming a couple, but instead funds will have to do.

Why can't TB breeders cop on just a bit. This place has what 800 horses? Flippin ridiculous.

I'm a small TB breeder, they type the industry hates yet I take responsibility for the horses I breed and make sure I am able to be contacted at the end of their career. At the moment anything I bred and is racing is under our management anyway so they can't slip away. We rehome and reschool client horses and have made all our owners aware of how lucky their horses are that have people who care. We've recently started the "Mr. and Mrs. Equilibrium don't need booze at Christmas, please donate to less fortunate TB's who aren't so lucky." By making our owners aware of these types of things they start seeing the whole picture as well.

So please stop thinking it's all TB breeders especially small breeders. I care about each and every foal and what happens to them as they get older. And greed can't be the reason I'm doing this as having scruples tends to mean your not breeding just for a high price at the sales.

Terri
    COTH, keeping popcorn growers in business for years.

"I need your grace to remind me to find my own." Snow Patrol-Chasing Cars. This line reminds me why I have horses.

Does anyone know when the auction starts and if all these tb's are actually going through the sale today? There are a few buyers in AZ that would buy some of these horses if they new they were actually there.

I only see that the auction is in Chandler, what else do we know?

Quote Originally Posted by Whitfield Farm Hanoverians View Post
    Okay, I finally have to say it. I hate the sport of racing with a passion. Yep I'll get flamed. I also think eventing is about stupid too!
    I'm sick of being politically correct about things. I just read this discussion topic & emailed the racing association. I'm sure only some secretary will get it & discard it but I wish they were inundated with thousands of emails daily to let them know what we all think about their disregard of life.
    Poor horses. Sounds like some of them are very well bred also. What crap!
    You are not going to get flamed as this is how you feel and I don't see the harm in that, we all feel differently.

Just remember warmblood breeders here in Europe churn out horses like factories. We are talking big breeders produce 100-800 foals a year. Let's not all for one minute pretend they all get good homes especially when you consider slaughter, while done a whole lot differently, is just part of the game. And not all warmblood breeders back home have scruples either. Dumping old mares, ect.

So lets take a moment and realize that not everyone involved in TB breeding is a complete and utter waste of life like these people from Warren TB's. Some of us do care what happens beyond their racing days. Some of us go to sales specifically to buy older mares when most people think no more decent foals will come out of them. This assures her a life of saftey as she will never see a sales ring again. Some of make owners aware that for every moment of enjoyment they get at going racing with their horse, some horses are not so lucky and end up in not so nice places. It's nice to give back something to others less fortunate. Some breeders also know that a mare producing inferior horses is better off being a babysitter or riding out and enjoying a life away from breeding. Not her fault and therefore doesn't need to end up a "throw away" because of it.

And yet many times over you here small breeders are the ones contributing bad stock to the industry. Small breeders on a budget shouldn't breed because they only breed crap. Yet many times over this is said by big breeders who wouldn't dream of doing any of the above as it's not cost effective.

I wish I was in the States and could give a couple of these mares a home, but I'm not and just don't have the funds for a cross atlantic trip.

I'm so sorry for these mares who obviously had no love, courtesy, and respect for being nothing other than a vessel in which to house foals.

Terri

"I need your grace to remind me to find my own." Snow Patrol-Chasing Cars. This line reminds me why I have horses.

Ok, so heres the deal,

We need correct information!! If we can help these horses we need to know where they are and what auction they are going to.

I just called the Chandler Auction and they do not have any horses that fit this description, so they are not in Chandler.

Please, anyone who knows where these horses are post. We can feel sad all we want, but we can't do anything until we know where the horses are!!

I live 10 minutes from Chandler. If they are somewhere sitting, I can go check them out and take pictures so people can donate money and we can get them moved!

Come on!

Quote Originally Posted by Whitfield Farm Hanoverians View Post
    One more thing....I just read this after googling Warren Thoroughbreds in California.
    In an artile dated 08/10/07 in the LA times following the death at age 85 of the elder Warren brother:
    A little more than a year ago, Stute Warren & his brother were co-recipients of an annual award "given to those who have served the sport with integrity, extra ordinary dedication, determination & distinction".
    Now which part would the trashing of your own horses fall under? The integrity or dedication part????
    Um Warren Stute is not Ben Warren.

Just FYI

Quote Originally Posted by Samotis View Post
    Ok, so heres the deal,

We need correct information!! If we can help these horses we need to know where they are and what auction they are going to.

I just called the Chandler Auction and they do not have any horses that fit this description, so they are not in Chandler.

Please, anyone who knows where these horses are post. We can feel sad all we want, but we can't do anything until we know where the horses are!!

I live 10 minutes from Chandler. If they are somewhere sitting, I can go check them out and take pictures so people can donate money and we can get them moved!

Come on!
    This isn't good, where the heck are they?

Terri

Are they at the pacific livestock auction in chandler?
    Ms Robin

I am paralyzed in the face of the numbers here. What are we supposed to be doing? I swear, we need someone who can direct us.. I feel like my head is full of squirrels, thinking about this...

Oh - and Woodland? I hope your flamesuit is thick. Because your advice to people to not try to bail them out is simply bizarre. Those horses have no freaking idea that the entire issue is corrupt. They just don't want a captive bolt between the eyes. It's about the horse, not who ought to be paying for it. No one is going to pay for it but the horse, we all know that.

If I had the money I'd buy every single one of them. It's not their fault.
    "Kindness is free" ~ Eurofoal
    ---
    The CoTH CYA - please consult w/your veterinarian under any and all circumstances.

NEW INFORMATION
    I JUST GOT THIS FROM TRANQUILITY FARMS WHEN I ASKED ABOUT THE HORSES LOCATION

The horses are currently at the lot of David Quin which I believe is near Phoenix. I'll post the list of mares and what price is needed as I receive further information. If someone wants to go to the lot they can probably buy directly from the dealer.

SO KEEP WATCHING THE SITE FOR MORE INFORMATION ON THESE HORSES.
    Ms Robin

yes, please post some specifics as to where and how much if possible. Im here in utah so about 8 hrs away. I am also actively involved with several rescues and would like to pass on the info but need the facts.

I am working on that. Will post when I get the location address. If I can get it.
    Ms Robin

i wasnt referring to all breeders, just the industry as a whole where there are these farms that breed 100 mares lets say per stallion every year. no one keeps track of those horses, and no one even thinks about whats to happen to that horse AFTER the racing ends.

They're all in it for the profit and not the benefit of the horse. makes me very angry.