The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 2 of 16 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

One more thing....I just read this after googling Warren Thoroughbreds in California.
    In an artile dated 08/10/07 in the LA times following the death at age 85 of the elder Warren brother:
    A little more than a year ago, Stute Warren & his brother were co-recipients of an annual award "given to those who have served the sport with integrity, extra ordinary dedication, determination & distinction".
    Now which part would the trashing of your own horses fall under? The integrity or dedication part????

Clarksdale, MS--the golden buckle on the cotton belt

Well, Warren's do still have 800 horses, even after this cull. Maybe that's how they got the award.

The California anti-horse slaughter law is a joke. You give 46 horses to someone in Riverside (still in California) and they end up in a slaughter feedlot in Arizona. You've CYA as far as the law is now administered; but not done anything productive to place your rejects.

If anyone is in California, you might contact the DA in Hemet and ask for an investigation into how so many CA horses ended up unprotected in Arizona. Maybe Warren's feet can be held to the fire.

Deaths always change operations, and maybe the dead brother was the only one with a heart.
    "I'm a lumberjack, and I'm okay."
    Thread killer Extraordinaire

Ohhh man, somebody NEEDS to grab Kris Kross!!!
    "The standard you walk by is the standard you accept."--Lt. Gen. David Morrison, Austalian Army Chief

Viney: If I'm reading the ABR forum thread right - PLEEEEEEEEEASE correct me if I'm wrong - the only horse Tranquility is at present trying to save/accepting donations for is Seattle Bound??

I'd be willing to kick in a little bit if we decide to start a fund.

Kris Kross NEEDS to be gotten out of there. He's a son of Kris S., and that's a pedigree the WHOLE TB INDUSTRY - both racing and sport - needs to preserve. They're noted for longevity and soundness, which, last time I checked, would be No Bad Thing for the breed!

Any mares w/ Kris S. that close up probably need to be saved too.

My feed store closes shortly so I've gotta leave but will check the thread later in hopes something good is happening!
    "The standard you walk by is the standard you accept."--Lt. Gen. David Morrison, Austalian Army Chief

I quickly scanned through but am confused. Where best to send bail money?
    www.specialhorses.org
    a 501(c)3 organization helping 501(c)3 equine rescues

Arrow Admirable..but

Guys you can not save them all. For all of these that you "know" about - there are so many more. The changes need to come from the top - the BIG breeders need to change. And they won't as long as there is someone - like you - to bail them out.

The PMU farms stood/hid behind "marketable bi-product" because people bought the "bi-product" to try and "save" them.

You all are doing the same here. Which perpetuates the problem. There should be no easy out for irresponsible breeders!!!

I say do not bail.

Flame suit donned
    "If you don't know where you are going, any road will take you there"

if i was closer...i'd take one. we actually have a stall open right now. I looked up Warrens and they have a name out there. Has anyone tracked them down and questioned just what the H*ll they were thinking and their reasoning behind such actions.

This is rediculous. Anyone try and track down the original breeders of these guys and gals? Im sure someone would take them in. Id cross post this in the other areas of this board. lets try and get everyones attention

Clarksdale, MS--the golden buckle on the cotton belt

Kris Kross has the lines to be an excellent sport horse stallion as well.
    "I'm a lumberjack, and I'm okay."
    Thread killer Extraordinaire

Hmm how about contacting the rich guy at Suffolk Downs that loves horses so much he started the no tolerance policy on sending race horses to slaughter?

He may pitch in to help out just a thought.
    Ms Robin
    Farm Websites & SEO, Low Prices, Barter available!
    ~No Horses to Slaughter clique~

did anyone contact Old Friends in KY to see if they can do anything?

Oh it makes me sick to my stomach There are just too many horses and not enough responsible owners to go around... ARGH!!!!

I emailed Priscilla... I'm far away, and I don't know if I can do anything to help, but it's worth a shot...
    -Jessica

Out of interest,

If these are well known horses then how comes they're being run through an auction for meat???

Who are their owners?? Why don't they care about their reputation, business and public image??? Or is disposing of "waste horses" in this way considered acceptable there???

If I was closer I could take a couple of them. This just sucks. What is wrong with people. These horses do not deserve this.
    I would like to know who owns them too.
    Ms Robin

What a shame! I can not imagine all this to happen...

There are times when I wish to be closer your end - we are looking for one more horse to add and TB mare would be perfect... But the shipping costs Out of the question... So sad! Why I'm not a rich girl??? GRRRRR!
    Last edited by AnnaCrew; Aug. 2, 2008 at 05:55 PM.
    ** I LOVE PUIKA FAN CLUB*** member

Thomas, the only thing the least unusal about this is the numbers from a single farm. Usually, they send them off in smaller groups.

Somehow, some breeders see nothing wrong with sending the "excess" off to slaughter--nevermind that THEY create that excess in the first place. Sickening.

Blueshadow is right on with her comment that exposure is our only weapon. I'd like to see rotten fruit thrown at these sort of breeders at the race tracks whenever they show their rotten faces.
    Last edited by I'm EBO; Aug. 2, 2008 at 06:07 PM.
    Barbaro Cultist, Metabolic Nazi

He breeds so many that are ot racehorses in bigger venues, but you'd think other spots would suit! I hate the killers but understand that there is a huge excess these days. We have give aways we can't give away. Tough market for unmarketable horses these days. We DON'T send to the killers, but we can't keep them forever either.
    Warren should breed less, breed quality and be selective. Sell some that look ok. it's a shame

i emailed for answers.

See but this isnt just an issue of having excess horses. The fact is that these horses are well bred stallions that they used for breeding and obviously just disposed of them before even attempting to find a home for them and im sure the majority of these horses, if they were nice enough to breed with, could have been placed.

This isnt just an issue of having excess, crap animals...its about taking responsibility for your animals. the fact is that im sure these animals are quite fine looking and have wonderful breeding. just points out one of the biggest issues with the TB industry-breeding so much.

farmgirl,

the ones that have been identified so far, were standing for $ 1,000 to $ 1,500 stud fee.

The rest of the stalions they have listed are also in that fee range.

Honestly, I don't consider that prime breeding material.

And to dump 40 possible bred mares at the same time, seems to me like they should get out of business all together with.

\"Horses lend us the wings we lack\"

No offense, but I see his horses every day and even claimed one by Rahy's Quackerjack that earned a whopping 70,000. Horse could run and was even sound, but he is one of very few. B Warren breeds crap to crap and sometimes gets one that can run. Most debut for Mdn $40,000 or Cal Bred $25,000 (which is bottoms) and show little. He or his breeding program are a contributing factor to why horse racing has a bad name. I'm not saying breed only good horses for hundreds of thousands of dollars, but be selective. Not every mare needs to be bred and not every colt/horse should keep his testicles and be allowed to use them.

SEATTLE BOUND
    here is a mare out of him for sale
    http://www.equinenow.com/horse-ad-42157

He is a son of Seattle Slew
    http://www.allbreedpedigree.com/seattle+bound

Color: b
    Height: 17.0

34-5-9-5

(USA) $191,506 - Sold as 2yo at 1990 Calder Sale for $95,000; Stakes-Placed; Sold in 1992 for $9,000; Sire

MAJOR MOMENT, chestnut, 1986, Raise a Native-Olympic Moment by Olympiad King. Warren's Thoroughbreds, Hemet. 2008 fee: Private.

HERE IS HIS RECORD AND STATISTICS
    http://usa.stallionring.com/frameHar...Header_type=sr

If link doesn't work use this
    http://usa.stallionring.com/showStal...sp?LID=4863800

Here is his form when hen was to be auctioned at Barretts he was withdrawn
    http://www.barretts.com/catalog/catjan04/pdf/654.pdf

DANTE'S INFERNO
    http://www.2ky.com.au/horse/results_...Inferno&type=R

Dante's Inferno, 02, In Excess (Ire)—Knightress Oxide, by Tough Knight. Warren's Thoroughbreds LLC, 3001 W. Esplanade Ave., Hemet, CA 92545. Phone: (951) 654-9238. Fax: (951) 654-8938. Email: warrensthoro@airenetworks.com. Web: www.thoroughbredinfo.com/showcase/warrenstb.htm.

MR BOLG ( name was wrong above this is the horse at the lot)
    Mr. Bolg, 86, Bolger—Brew Mistress (Fr), by Toujours Pret. Warren's Thoroughbreds LLC, 3001 W. Esplanade Ave., Hemet, CA 92545. Phone: (951) 654-9238. Fax: (951) 654-8938. Email: warrensthoro@airenetworks.com. Web: www.thoroughbredinfo.com/showcase/warrenstb.htm.

He received a stallion award in 1998

He was a breeders cup nominated stallion in 2007

Here is his stats
    http://usa.stallionring.com/frameHar...Header_type=sr
    Couldn't find much for the others.
    Ms Robin