The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Wertherson--did he do hunters or sire hunters??

I am not sure which forum to post this question so will try first with the sporthorse breeding. Suzanne Quarles late stallion Wertherson was a stunning chestnut but I don't know if he ever did the hunters or if he was know for siring hunters, anyone know??? I know he has been deceased for sometime now so we may be talking about the early 90s or before about any of his performance. I think by 1995 he was blind. Any info would be appreciated!! Thanks in advance.
    http://www.talloaksfarm.net ---"Success is not final, failure is not fatal; it is the courage to continue that counts." --- Winston Churchill

I loved that horse! He was the best looking, best moving horse I have ever seen.

Wertherson competed FEI dressage. He is known as a broodmare sire. Not sure about the hunters, but I have a Wertherson mare I adore.

http://www.somedaysoonfarm.com/pages/wertherson.html

Wertherson sure was a great looking horse in his day!! I noitced on Suzanne's website that there is no mention of hunters but I too know that she is promoting dressage horses now. She used to stand a TB stallion, forget his name, around the same time, that was used for hunters. Some one some where should know, or has too much time passed by??
    http://www.talloaksfarm.net ---"Success is not final, failure is not fatal; it is the courage to continue that counts." --- Winston Churchill

I remember a woman in VA (I think it was Purcellville) selling 3-4 yr old Wertherson babies as hunter prospects.

[quote=bingbingbing;3406098]I remember a woman in VA (I think it was Purcellville) selling 3-4 yr old Wertherson babies as hunter prospects.[/quote

I think I know who you mean, but she passed away with cancer within the last few years. She trained and sold a lot of horses for Suzanne. Thanks, so the info for hunters is coming closer!

Yes, she passed away. The ones I saw were very nice. Her sister is still alive, if you want to contact her.

Quote Originally Posted by bingbingbing View Post
    Yes, she passed away. The ones I saw were very nice. Her sister is still alive, if you want to contact her.
    Yes, you can PM or email me. Thanks so much for the offer.

The TB was there when I worked there.. I think his name was Next Frontier?

Suzanne really only pushed for dressage.. but as a broodmare sire I don't think Wertherson's fillies had ANY limitations
    -Natalie
    Union Square Stables LLC
    Thoroughbreds

I know Suzanne stood Clavier (Castle Magic sire) for Mignon Smith. I didn't know about Next Frontier. I'll have to ask her about him. The pedigree is sport-horse drool-worthy.

Suzanne had some Wertherson's coming this spring. The wonders of frozen!

I remember going to Donna Caller's to look at some Wertherson geldings in 97/98. I think I looked at 10 over a few months. All of them were incredibly typey, and all of them were hunter movers. I'll be interested to see what you dig up.
    "No matter how cynical I get its just not enough to keep up." Lily Tomlin

I only know of him being a dressage horse! I have a mare by him (she's the one I've been trying to get pregnant with frozen) and she is quite a good jumper as well!
    I've been told she looks a lot like her sire. Here are some pictures of her:
    http://www.posemucklfarm.com/CONTACT_US.html
    Hoppe, Hoppe, Reiter...
    Wenn er faellt dann schreit er...

Quote Originally Posted by mbm View Post
    forward is like love - you can never have enough

If you look at his daughters MPT stats, many of them are very nice jumpers. I own a Wertherson/ Grundstein mare that was bred by Suz. I think she would have made a lovely hunter.

Quote Originally Posted by bingbingbing View Post
    You have contact info for Liz?

Prior to getting into breeding, I was at a boarding facility that was chock full of his offspring (you could easily pick out a Wertherson youngster, they ALWAYS had BEAUTIFUL heads!!!). Many of these offspring were ridden/shown in hunter competitions despite Wertherson himself competing successfully in dressage. Donna did a great job of selling his offspring locally.

I own one of his daughters (who also has a very pretty head), so far, she has produced one very successful dressage horse, Leopold Q by Loerke and a very successful daughter by Weltbekannt who continually ranks high in the hunter rankings with her young rider/owner. I currently have a 2 1/2 year old by Nocturno out of her that I think could go either way (he LOVES to jump). I would say they are very versatile.

So, is she still offer frozen semen breedings to him?

The Wertherson gelding that my friend owns kicked butt in dressage prior to his injury. Suzanne was also the breeder of this horse.
    *bad shoulder clique * Member of "OMGiH, I loff my Mare" Clique! * Proud owner of a CANTER Cutie!
    My Horses; COMH Page; My Blog

Is Werther's Wels a son?

Yes, Suzanne does have frozen semen from Wertherson, I think she told me she had two of his foals this year and she was pretty thrilled about it.

The TB stallion she stood that you might be thinking of was TBrooke, he had a BEAUTIFUL head!

Here is a photo of my Wertherson mare with her Sandro Hit colt taken this year when the foal was about 10 days old. I just installed a new program so I can actually reduce the pixels so I can post a photo on coth!!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	a-little-prince-and-dam-cot.jpg 
Views:	66 
Size:	152.9 KB 
ID:	22024  

Quote Originally Posted by talloaks View Post
    Here is a photo of my Wertherson mare with her Sandro Hit colt taken this year when the foal was about 10 days old. I just installed a new program so I can actually reduce the pixels so I can post a photo on coth!!
    talloaks, don't mean to thread hijack, but you owe me some foal pictures That is a lovely photo of your mare, btw!