The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Default Blue Eyed TB Filly/ Color Experts Please

So the Friday evening my husband was watching racing and I was doing paperwork. He says quick look, there's those weird eyes your always on about. I'm like what. Sure enough as the filly is going into the gate I see she has a blue eye. No white or grey tail and very few markings on her legs but she did have a normal width blaze with the white extending over both eyes. Now I'm not sure if she has 2 blue eyes as I only saw her near side.

She is by Pulpit out of Turn And Sparkle by Danzatore. She's trained by Michael Jarvis and owned by Hamdan Al Maktoum.

Her name is Makaaseb.

Just thought it quite a rarity. I could possibly email the trainer and see if they could get me a picture. The worst he could do is say no. But I just thought it odd to see the blue eyes and very few other markings. Oh yeah she is bay by the way.

Is this the splash gene?

Terri
    COTH, keeping popcorn growers in business for years.

"I need your grace to remind me to find my own." Snow Patrol-Chasing Cars. This line reminds me why I have horses.

Yeah, sounds like splash to me.

Another vote for Splash.

There is also a stallion/gelding with stockings and a blaze that has 1 blue eye and 1 brown. His name is Phantom Blues. Also Bold Phantom Go is a black tb with stockings and a blaze with blue eyes.

I don't see a pic of Phantom Blues on pedigreequery, but Bold Phantom Go is DEFINITELY Splash, wow, look at that face!

His face screams Splash, and his leg white is also very Splash
    http://whispervalley.homestead.com/B...Go_photos.html

Thread hijack here: My (unknown pedigree built like a bulldog foundation QH) gelding has one blue eye, big blaze and a few socks. Is that splash?
    Do not take anything to heart. Do not hanker after signs of progress. Founder of the Riders with Fibromyalgia clique.

Most likely, yes. If the socks have a horizontal look to them, or if the blaze looks "bottom heavy", or he has white coming up the underside of his jaw, those are likely indicating Splash.

Default Blue eyes and splash...

OK, someone explain this mare's blue eye.... She has as much white on the rest of her as on her face.

...she is a registered TB.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSC_0113.jpg 
Views:	228 
Size:	188.4 KB 
ID:	21962   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSC_0115.jpg 
Views:	157 
Size:	177.4 KB 
ID:	21963  
    Not all who wander are lost.

Ralando II

Quote Originally Posted by Kinsella View Post
    OK, someone explain this mare's blue eye.... She has as much white on the rest of her as on her face.

...she is a registered TB.
    I have no idea about the blue eye, but she is stunning. I don't usually like blue eyes, but the blue and brown look lovely together.

Gwendolyn
    http://www.gestuet-falkenhorst.com
    Exceptional colored German WBs, TBs and Arabians

And you can also educate yourself about splash here:

http://www.morgancolors.com/splashwhite.htm

Quote Originally Posted by aurum View Post
    So why is this not a minimal splash?

Splashed whites have "round" markings not "jagged" markings and are "usually" deaf. Splashed whites "USUALLY" have white on the "Bottom" of their tails and they look like solid colored horses that walked through a big ditch of white paint

Bold Phantom looks not at all Splash, he is a Sabino.

The confusion comes from people looking at patterns and guessing--- You can not tell what a horse is by just looking and guessing - They MUST be tested. Horses can have mixed patterns as well. Not everything we read is true. Splashed whites are deaf as a rule and I know of only those two from new Zealand in T.B.s that are POSSIBLY splashed whites-- they are both deaf as well.
    Last edited by aurum; Jul. 30, 2008 at 10:54 AM.
    Gwendolyn

After looking over those refrences, I see lots of them that are stated as being "Splash" that dont' have white tails, and the last one had lots that had minimal white.

Is it possible that the defness is similar to the way dalmations are def, the more white they have, the better the chance is? As in maybe only homozygous splash are def, or it has to do with the amount of splash in them? (I don't know, I'm only a hypothesis)

To me, if I'd just read the refrences, and looked at the Bold Phantom horse, I'd say he looks splash or sabino, but wouldn't be able to definativly rule one out.
    ---------------------------

~Once you have ridden the tiger it is impossible to dismount~

Most pintos have sabino as well (try finding tobianos without face white). There aren't a whole lot of horses that display only one pattern. Especially since there are so many ways for KIT to mutate and produce sabino style markings. I assume that blue eyes indicate a strong chance that splash is present.

Splashed whites have "round" markings not "jagged" markings and are "usually" deaf.
    BULL.
    Splashed whites "USUALLY" have white on the "Bottom" of their tails and they look like solid colored horses that walked through a big ditch of white paint
    BULL again.

Bold Phantom looks not at all Splash, he is a Sabino.
    BULL again.

You can not tell what a horse is by just looking and guessing - They MUST be tested.
    http://www.luckylranch.com/DSC05706_Jackpot_WOWZA.jpg So you think that horse needs to be tested before we call him a tobiano?
    Horses can have mixed patterns as well. Not everything we read is true.
    Yes and APHA on color is DEFINITELY one that isnt true.
    Splashed whites are deaf as a rule and I know of only those two from new Zealand in T.B.s that are POSSIBLY splashed whites-- they are both deaf as well.
    LMAO Splashed whites are NOT deaf as rule.

Wow the misinformation in this post is ASTOUNDING. Give me a few minutes to stop laughing and then I will reply
    Check out my Equine Genetics Blog! Updated April 25th with Splashed White!!!
    http://equinegenetics.blogspot.com/

Quote Originally Posted by mistyjewell View Post
    Is it possible that the defness is similar to the way dalmations are def, the more white they have, the better the chance is?
    This is what is believed to cause the deafness.

To me, if I'd just read the refrences, and looked at the Bold Phantom horse, I'd say he looks splash or sabino, but wouldn't be able to definativly rule one out.
    He is most likely both.

Sorry for stepping on toes.

I was asking a simple question as I don't know. I don't own the filly, I'm not ever going to own the filly and if I was to own her she wouldn't be in a colored breeding program anyway as she is very well bred.

I just thought if very interesting as she hasn't the usual traits that come with blue eyes.

Thanks Riddle Me This for explaining things.

Terri
    COTH, keeping popcorn growers in business for years.

"I need your grace to remind me to find my own." Snow Patrol-Chasing Cars. This line reminds me why I have horses.

Well, then highly reputated genetic research people that know what they are talking about, have sent me these replies to post here on what you are all calling splash, they must all be idiots then. I will tell them. Guess it will be them to laugh too.

I would have plenty of splash whites in my barn even in Warmbloods and they are all Sabinos!
    Gwendolyn

Well, then highly reputated genetic research people that know what they are talking about, have sent me these replies to post here on what you are all calling splash, they must all be idiots then. I will tell them. Guess it will be them to laugh too.
    I would be very interested in which researcher you are talking to. The one I am talking to would never use APHA has a reference point for anything. And I am curious, which researcher has time to send you emails on here to post, but would not register to post themselves?

They are wrong on so many things its laughable.

Now the morgan site is one I have been referenced to by many people, and one of the best I have found, in addition to equine color.

And here is a very cool examples of minimal splash (neither as deaf)
    http://www.ericastinytrotters.com/up...cc%20mares.jpg
    http://www.ericastinytrotters.com/up...6/stalli28.jpg

And their foal (Who also is not deaf)
    http://www.ericastinytrotters.com/up...als/looker.jpg
    [IMG]file:///C:/Users/ASHLEY%7E1/AppData/Local/Temp/moz-screenshot-24.jpg[/IMG]