The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default High hind suspensory lesion--surgery or not?

I've looked at the previous threads on this topic, but had a specific question. My 8 yo was diagnosed with a high suspensory lesion. I am seriously considering the fasciotomy/neurectomy surgery. My vet has had a lot of luck with it (surgery would be done at New Bolton). But my trainer talked to her vet, and she said that while it leads to a faster recovery, in the end the healed ligament is not as strong (because you have disrupted the supporting structures around the ligament). Any thoughts/experiences? Thanks.
    Delaware Park Canter Volunteer
    http://www.canterusa.org/

In a quick reply, no. I'm sure you have read my stories. I too had surgery recommended by Kevin Keene and the surgery done by Dr. Richardson at New Bolton. Almost one year full of setbacks and then 6 months of Dr. Green, I am now trying again to bring him back. So far, so good. Interesting thing is the ultrasound of both suspensories now look exactly the same prior to surgery. In the end I felt I could have better managed it w/o surgery with injections and meds. Can you get an MRI first? In hindsight, i would have spent the $$$ on that.

Have dealt with the surgery after a year of layup left us still lame. Came back, long slow rehab, then almost a year later, when we saying "Yes!", it fell apart seriously. We then walked for 6 mo started trotting looking quite good, when the jockey got injured. With no rider, the horse has been turned out since and now, a year later, again, looks quite good . Of course trots are hard to evaluate from head on, and going straight away.

I' m aware of another horse who had the same surgery, at the same place and now a year and a half later is successfully back in work.

If you haven't found this thread, it will keep you busy for awhile-
    http://www.chronofhorse.com/forum/sh...ensory+Surgery

Good luck!
    Taking it day by day!

kcmel is offline Grand Prix Premium Member
    Original Poster

Thanks . Kiwi and Vic, good luck with your horses--I hope they continue to do well. I think I am going forward with the surgery, but I am going to continue to ponder it over the weekend.
    Delaware Park Canter Volunteer
    http://www.canterusa.org/