The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Just found out about Robert Dover's reality show!

OMG!! I never knew Robert Dover had a reality show! I found out about it by accident on YouTube. It's called The Search for America’s Next Equestrian Star: Dressage, and it already got me hooked! It was taped last year I believe. Did anyone else watch his show?

I watched it, and there was actually a thread about it on COTH. I did enjoy watching it, and thought they had some good stuff. I think you can also buy a DVD of the show.

Quote Originally Posted by Lamma70 View Post
    I watched it, and there was actually a thread about it on COTH. I did enjoy watching it, and thought they had some good stuff. I think you can also buy a DVD of the show.

I hope they plan for a second season! I am not a huge fan of reality shows but I would be glued to this one if it airs more seasons for sure! There haven't been any other horse-related reality shows out there (that I know of) and the horse world could definitely some TV time.

He wanted to do one for western, one for h/j, one for eventing, etc.

But the difficulty he had selling this one makes more shows unlikely.

Quote Originally Posted by yaya View Post
    He wanted to do one for western, one for h/j, one for eventing, etc.
    Oh what a good idea to do other disciplines too!! I am surprised more accomplished riders haven't followed RD's steps.

But the difficulty he had selling this one makes more shows unlikely.
    You mean networks didn't show much interest at first in picking up his first season? I hope RD gets to do more shows. You can learn something from them.

Yes, it took months and months to find a network willing to show them.

They ended up on the Fox Reality channel (I think he wanted Animal Planet).

I watched it. I wanted JJ to win, but Phelisha was also an excellent rider. I hope there will be another one. I'd be interested in watching a H/J one as well.

Yes, it took months and months to find a network willing to show them.

They ended up on the Fox Reality channel (I think he wanted Animal Planet).
    I can't BELIEVE Animal Planet didn't pick it up! Wow!

Quote Originally Posted by FancyFree View Post
    I watched it. I wanted JJ to win, but Phelisha was also an excellent rider. I hope there will be another one. I'd be interested in watching a H/J one as well.

Philesha won?? I am surprised. I've only watched until episode 4 and so far she seemed weak as a whole and not in the front runners. I would have never thought she would win.

I was surprised too. While she is a lovely rider, I didn't think she had as much presence as JJ. I thought JJ was the more effective trainer as well.

I'm not sure I'd drop everything to go and be Robert Dover's flunky!

Quote Originally Posted by Equibrit View Post
    I'm not sure I'd drop everything to go and be Robert Dover's flunky!
    I wonder if they have some sort of a contract binding the "winner" to stick with RD's (in this case) barn for an x amount of years. I mean what if it doesn't work out for Philesha and she completely hates it?

I am still shocked at RD's (what was he thinking?? LOL) decision to pick her. Oh well, he knows best.

Does this sound like a bunch of grins to you? Would all those contestants be panting to do it?

What is a typical day for you at Romance Farms?

"A typical day for me is a dream come true. I get to see incredible riders and incredible horses work with Robert day after day. My day usually begins with preparing the barn for Robert's arrival. I make sure that everything is neat and tidy. I then go over the schedule for the day, and make sure that all the riders know their times,and are set to ride that day. If not, it is my job to make sure the schedule is rearranged, and stays on time. On a regular, I may ride 1 to 4 horses in front of Robert in a day. I'm also in charge of making sure he gets his lunch for the day. I'm responsible of making sure the facility runs smoothly, including, but not limited to, vet visits, farrier schedules, medications and feed ordering. I've begun to build up my lesson program, and I hope to see that develop more over the summer. "

Quote Originally Posted by Equibrit View Post
    Does this sound like a bunch of grins to you? Would all those contestants be panting to do it?

What is a typical day for you at Romance Farms?

"A typical day for me is a dream come true. I get to see incredible riders and incredible horses work with Robert day after day. My day usually begins with preparing the barn for Robert's arrival. I make sure that everything is neat and tidy. I then go over the schedule for the day, and make sure that all the riders know their times,and are set to ride that day. If not, it is my job to make sure the schedule is rearranged, and stays on time. On a regular, I may ride 1 to 4 horses in front of Robert in a day. I'm also in charge of making sure he gets his lunch for the day. I'm responsible of making sure the facility runs smoothly, including, but not limited to, vet visits, farrier schedules, medications and feed ordering. I've begun to build up my lesson program, and I hope to see that develop more over the summer. "

Well, I don't know! Maybe they like it. I find it a bit of a slave job personally. I mean "making sure he gets his lunch for the day"? "or preparing the barn for his arrival"? I wouldn't last there.

Anyway. I digress.