The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Practical Horseman "Conformation Clinic"

Has anyone checked out the confirmation clinic in the August Practical Horseman? The third place filly is absolutely ADORABLE!! She has the most wonderful expression on her face. Dressage prospect my a**.... I want to event it!!!!

I actually know that filly (the chestnut one, right??). She's cleaning up at FEH competitions around here.
    Take Your Equestrian Business to the Next Level: http://www.mythiclanding.com/
    Follow me at http://mythiclanding.blogspot.com or http://twitter.com/mythiclanding

I got the fillies all wrong - I am usually on the money with the adult horses, but I was surprised by the rankings here. I thought the filly she placed first was SO butt high, and while I know they go through these stages, the judge commented on it on the other 2, but not on the first placed horse.

I loved the chestnut - she looks like my kind of horse, regardless of her ranking!

If I ever get my camera out and my horse's mane tamed on the same day I want to send her in.

Default Hilary

although I don't have the mag in front of me - I seem to remember being on the same page as you. Think I picked them in reverse.

Well, thank you all VERY much! I bred the chestnut filly (her name is DeLiza) and I think she's magnificent (no bias here, haha!). She is a doll -- pleasant, easy, and a beautiful mover. The judge might have thought differently about her if she saw her move. The gentleman who handled her at her GOV inspection last year still talks about how she "stole the show." Her full sister was the future event horse (FEH) yearling filly champ last year, and DeLiza won her first FEH show this year. Some cute pictures of her at the FEH can be found at http://useventing.com/blog/?p=226#more-226. Thanks so much for your kind comments. :-)
    Last edited by vcarson; Jul. 29, 2008 at 10:28 AM.

I'm with you guys! I think I picked them in reverse order too.
    The darker chestunut filly, the adorable light chestnut (I think? don't have the mag in front of me) pony cross, and then the bay. I think it was really close though, they all seemed quite nice (at 3months)

Quote Originally Posted by vcarson View Post
    Well, thank you all VERY much! I bred the chestnut filly (her name is DeLiza) and I think she's magnificent (no bias here, haha!). She is a doll -- pleasant, easy, and a beautiful mover. The judge might have thought differently about her if she saw her move. The gentleman who handled her at her GOV inspection last year still talks about how she "stole the show." Her full sister was the future event horse (FEH) yearling filly champ last year, and DeLiza won her first FEH show this year. Some cute pictures of her at the FEH can be found at http://useventing.com/blog/?p=226#more-226. Thanks so much for your kind comments. :-)
    I remember looking straight past the other ones and focusing on her. She has such a wise look on her face, as though she's mature beyond her years. I imagine this is what my guy looked like as a youngster. He has the exact same coloring and markings except his white feet are on the right and not the left. Congrats on breeding such a lovely filly!!

Congratulations! She's lovely.

How long did it take from the time you sent the photo in to when they published it?

Quote Originally Posted by vcarson View Post
    Sportponies Unlimited
    Athletic Thoroughbred crosses for the highly motivated, smaller rider.

bleck you guys should try the conformation clinic in horse and rider. The horse I like is always last while some fat big assed QH with a tiny head comes in first.

Quote Originally Posted by IrishDeclan View Post
    I remember looking straight past the other ones and focusing on her. She has such a wise look on her face, as though she's mature beyond her years. I imagine this is what my guy looked like as a youngster. He has the exact same coloring and markings except his white feet are on the right and not the left. Congrats on breeding such a lovely filly!!
    I did the same thing! I tried very hard to figure out the order, but I picked her first. To me, they were all lovely, but she just exudes eventer!

I first thought it was an error- she is really cool! Congrats!
    I have too many ponies but love 'em all!

http://foxview-farm.blogspot.com/

Default Conformation clinic turnaround time

Quote Originally Posted by pwynnnorman View Post
    Congratulations! She's lovely.

How long did it take from the time you sent the photo in to when they published it?
    The photo was taken in late October, 2007, and submitted in early November.

I submitted a photo of our 7 year-old Azteca mare (young dressage powerhouse-in-the-making) at the same time, and she's in next month's clinic, I think. I heard the judge wasn't crazy about her either, but hey, it was fun participating anyway. A certain well-known dressage trainer who works with the mare's regular trainer has called her an FEI horse in the making.

I found the clinic educational, and didn't really disagree with anything the judge said (other than maybe the part about a pretty head -- she doesn't have the most beautiful head, but I'm not sure what that has to do with performance). Clearly we all have different opinions, and I'm sure we all know some horses (and riders )who have been able to overcome their conformation flaws to become great performers.

Cheers!
    Last edited by vcarson; Jul. 31, 2008 at 08:54 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by enjoytheride View Post
    bleck you guys should try the conformation clinic in horse and rider. The horse I like is always last while some fat big assed QH with a tiny head comes in first.
    Ha Ha!! I totally know what you mean. Unfortunately for me, I live in southeast Alabama which is in the heart of fat big assed tiny headed QH country. Everyone around here looks at my Irish Sport Horse/Selle Francais as though he's grown another head. I finally just began telling people that he's a Quarter Horse. When they look at me funny, I explain, "Well... he's a quarter of this and a quarter of that".

I want to submit my boy but I'm a wimp haha! Maybe I'll post some pics here first and see how badly we get torn apart

Quote Originally Posted by Snapdragon View Post
    To me, they were all lovely, but she just exudes eventer!
    And I agree. Do read that the judge said she was looking at apples and oranges and that she was trying to judge to disciplines. You are looking at the use for your discipline, eventing, and that makes a difference. Also it is one photo and even slight angles can make a huge difference in what you see.

Vcarson's filly DeLiza does not show the short tibia (that appeared that way in her photo in the column) on the link that she posted. I am very pleased to see that and am very thankful that she posted it. It illustrates that we don't see everything. Her filly is very nice and very growthy. I commend Vcarson for being able to take her out to compete and for doing so well with her. The judge did say that she would not be surprised that this filly would turn out to be very nice.

The judge's intro states that they grow at different rates with dramatic changes. The photos are just at one day in time. The DeLiza filly was at 5 months and her photo reflects that.

I am the owner/breeder of the bay filly at the top of the page. She was exquisite as a weanling but has had her yak stage this spring. I expect and am anticipating her cinderella stage soon! She moves like a ballerina and she is definitively a hunter type. Now look at her older full brother here, when he was at 3 weeks of age (oops photo mislabeled) http://s272.photobucket.com/albums/j..._123589900.jpg Note the matching angles of his shoulder and hip. He is very much a h/j/eventer type (and is developing the strong rear ability to lower his haunches and carrying power every day) altho they share much of the same conformation, there are some very minute differences that become more apparent as they grow older. It is fascinating to see them grow and develop.

The breeding is a Dutch/Holsteiner/TB cross. The TB mare really put an awesome stretchy gallop stride on them. And I picked her for her incredible MM walk. http://s272.photobucket.com/albums/j...t=100_0372.jpg She is light on the muscle here b/c she tore a back fetlock running into a muddy pasture corner and had been out of work, but it shows her walk. The breeding gave her the time off to heal. Here's what she looks like in work http://s272.photobucket.com/albums/j..._0334_0003.jpg I don't think that the filly is going to end up butt high.

I only offer these b/c this forum is so wonderful at it's best when we are all illustrating and sharing and learning. I thought that it was wonderful to get to see Vcarson's filly beyond the photo in the column! And p.s. I agree that the middle filly is ADORABLE looking. She is so cute faced. And she looks to me that she would be a very light buoyant mover.

and p.p.s. -- everyone expects to get a hosing when they do submit a picture, or post on here!
    Last edited by pony grandma; Aug. 3, 2008 at 11:06 AM. Reason: photo at 3 weeks not 3 months
    About the only time losing is more fun than winning is when you're fighting temptation.
    -- Tom Wilson, actor & comedian

Default Oopsie!

Not to revieve an old thread, but I realized that a photo was mislabeled and I didn't want to be so wrong! The colt's picture is at 3 weeks, not 3 months - a huge difference in babies! Quikes, maybe way too much going on my plate right now!! or heat stroke after yesterday fence judging 177 rides in the sun (but the eye candy was good).
    About the only time losing is more fun than winning is when you're fighting temptation.
    -- Tom Wilson, actor & comedian