The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Chellano II Z is born.

Studfarm Zangersheide are happy to announce the birth of Chellano II Z. He is the clone of our sadly departed Chellano Z, who died two years ago. His breeding is incredible, being by Contender out of the full sister of Corrado I. He was cloned by Eric Palmer of Cryozootechnic and was born on 25th July.

Wow! Very cool. Where can we see photos of him?
    Altamont Sport Horses
    Trakehners * Knabstruppers * Appaloosa Sport Horses
    Home of stallions: Ambrosius af Asgard "Atlantis" & Hollywood Hot Spot
    Birmingham, AL

WOW!! I love Chellano Z - cant wait to see the new boy!!

The implications of cloning are endlessly fascinating to me ...

What are the plans for him? Will he simply be there as a new supply of Chellano Z semen, or will he be produced for competition? Will he have to be approved, or will Chellano Z's approval carry over? Very interesting, looking forward to hearing of his successes.

Zangersheide have always campaigned the stallions in the ring, so I can't think it'll change for this guy.

An interesting question about the approval, I shouldn't imagine so, as he is a different horse (although obviously genetically identical), but then Zangersheide is a stud farm and a stud book, so I should imagine that unless he is a horror, he'll be approved in the normal way.

I see what you mean about the approval, though technically I can't see that he would bring anything to the table (erm, or to the dummy mare) that Chellano Z would not ... except any difference that his environment at some point might have on his semen/fertility in the future. As you say, the genetics would be the same. As I understand it, any difference that you might see in performance/competition would be entirely down to environmental influences, be that in utero or during growth and training. Best of luck!

Quote Originally Posted by Altamont Sport Horses View Post
    Wow! Very cool. Where can we see photos of him?
    There are a couple of pics here:

http://www.horsetalk.co.nz/news/2008/08/018.shtml

Oh wow! That is amazing. Congratulations.
    Unbridled Oaks - Champion Sport Ponies and Welsh Cobs

Like us on Facebook - http://www.facebook.com/unbridledoaks

Wow. Very creepy!!

First, I know virtually nothing about the current status of cloning technology, so this may no longer be an issue. But wasn't there a problem, at least with the first Dolly clones and others after that, with premature ageing and other unusual issues? Has that all been worked out now?
    "I don't want to sound like a broken record here, but why is it that a woman will forgive homicidal behavior in a horse, yet be highly critical of a man for leaving the toilet seat up?" Dave Barry

Way cool!

Ravencrest, clones are nothing more that identical twins born at different times. Not too creepy when you think about it that way. Now, if you're cloning for genetic manipulation, that could be another story......

I looked at the photos and the foal pic is labeled July 27, 2007. Was this foal born in 2007 or is the photo mislabeled?
    "We don't ride the clock. We ride the horse." Reiner Klimke.
    http://community.webshots.com/user/arnikaelf

Quote Originally Posted by Portia View Post
    First, I know virtually nothing about the current status of cloning technology, so this may no longer be an issue. But wasn't there a problem, at least with the first Dolly clones and others after that, with premature ageing and other unusual issues? Has that all been worked out now?
    It was a problem it no longer is. The problem was, with the DNA they were using was that it was as old as the thing they were cloning. So take Dolly. Say she was 15 when they cloned her, the tissue sample they used was 15 years old. So when the clone was born, the clones tissues and everything were already 15 years old.

Now they are using skin cells which are always reproducing themselves so they are always new, so no more aging problems.
    Check out my Equine Genetics Blog! Updated April 25th with Splashed White!!!
    http://equinegenetics.blogspot.com/

ooooh-kay. I think I get it now. Cool. Weird, but cool.
    "I don't want to sound like a broken record here, but why is it that a woman will forgive homicidal behavior in a horse, yet be highly critical of a man for leaving the toilet seat up?" Dave Barry

Ok, this question occurred to me last night and has been bugging me. What goes on this horse's pedigree? Is it the same pedigree as the original Chellano Z, with his sire and dam listed? Or does it say Chellano Z clone?

And if he were to ultimately be approved as a stallion, what would the pedigrees of the foals he sires say?

arnika, I am just not sure I agree with the ethics of cloning.

Riddlemethis, I would think that they would have to use stem cells (ie cells that had not differentiated).

Clarksdale, MS--the golden buckle on the cotton belt

When I saw the title of this thread, I immediately thought about Hugo Simon's International show jumping gelding ET who was one of the first performance horse clones.

Anything new about the ET clone?

The Chapots were supposed to have been thinking about cloning Gem Twist before he died. Does anyone know if they did?

Cloning is a fascinating topic, but one that will be more fascinating when the clones actually get to a performance age.
    "I'm a lumberjack, and I'm okay."
    Thread killer Extraordinaire

Quote Originally Posted by vineyridge View Post
    When I saw the title of this thread, I immediately thought about Hugo Simon's International show jumping gelding ET who was one of the first performance horse clones.

Anything new about the ET clone?

The Chapots were supposed to have been thinking about cloning Gem Twist before he died. Does anyone know if they did?

Cloning is a fascinating topic, but one that will be more fascinating when the clones actually get to a performance age.
    But I thought most of the clones were never going to see the performance ring? I thought the majority of them were going straight to breeding?
    Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm."
    --Winston Churchill
    https://www.facebook.com/pages/Hills...h/112931293227
    www.HillsideHRanch.com

I hope these clones are allowed to compete. That's the most interesting aspect for me: How will these horses measure up to their predecessors in the performance arena?

BTW, if you scroll down to the bottom of this link, you'll see Poetin was also cloned.

http://www.cryozootech.com/index.php...d=news_en&l=en

From what I read skin cells are the most common. There were actually 5 mature human embryos created from skin cells.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn...l?hpid=topnews
    Check out my Equine Genetics Blog! Updated April 25th with Splashed White!!!
    http://equinegenetics.blogspot.com/