The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Red face Trying to start my OTTB Rescue...

Hello, I am new to this board. I am looking into starting an OTTB Rescue. I want to do the 501-c non-profit as well. Although I am not good with paperwork or Red Tape.

So now I am wanting to find my next batch to save. I am hoping to help give the slow, unwanted horses somewhere to go where they can be retrained, and have a great life after the track. So now I need to get the word out! I am in mid-Missouri.

The only track I know that would be close to me would be Fairway Park in S.IL.
    Does anyone know any trainers at that park. I need to start making connections.

I was also hoping to find someone who might be interested in helping me get me Non-Profit Status.

Any information would be greatly appreciated to help me get "Softer Strides". Up and running!
    (]~~[) Amy (]~~[)

* I hope I never get too old to ride, despite the injuries and pain, because I cannot imagine not doing the thing I most enjoy in my life.*

This is a general question, better posted on Off Course. Cowgirljen & MayS both have rescues. Cowgirljen has written a book on how to start a rescue & I think the book is required reading. Many people would like to start rescues & there have been many threads on it, so do several searches would give you a lot of information.

Once you have searched & found the threads on starting a rescue & printed them out & read them & purchased Cowgirljen's book & read it, if you still have questions, then you can post those specific questions here to get more help.

You do NOT need non-profit status to start rescuing horses. People can't deduct their contributions to you on their own tax returns unless you are recognized by the IRS but lots of people buy TBs, retrain them, & resell them (or adopt them out) every day of the week without bothering with the 501c business. Other people adopt TBs & just keep them, especially if they are the generally unadoptable type such as permanently unsound.

No offense intended, but why do many insist on calling a retraining stable a 'rescue'?
    (Not only this person, but so many. I had a neighbor who says she 'rescued' a qh filly from an 'auction.' Horrors. The mare was sold legitimately at a county auction. Not a big deal. Just a sale. She did not 'rescue' the horse from anything.)
    Just a question.
    * www.huntersrest.net -- Virginia hunt country's best Bed-and-Breakfast-and-Barn.

Quote Originally Posted by Hunter's Rest View Post
    No offense intended, but why do many insist on calling a retraining stable a 'rescue'?
    Agreed.

Technically the vast majority of pleasure horse stables with TBs could be slapped with such an inaccurate term ....

Join the pedigreeonline.com racing and TB forum. Many many trainers etc. are on that board, they seem to know everybody else, from around the country. You should find what you are looking for there.
    Airborne? Oh. Yes, he can take a joke. Once. After that, the joke's on you.

Default in the sun

Just came from Missouri---a beautiful state! Pine Hill---it is a bit of a "long hard ride" to attain a not for profit status. Agree with Glimmerglass--it sounds like you want a "retraining" operation. Since the wake up call of OTTB's, plus the premarin mare situation, a lot of "not for profit" organizations have popped up around here. As you know, when you rehome a rescue, they are not to be sold......so not really practical to have that NFP situation if you want to retrain the horses and sell them as others may want to re-sell them as well. In this economy--tough to find a good spot for a rescue. People get them with the best intentions, then in many cases, when the novelty wears off, the horses are neglected.

Former Long Islander now in the middle of the Great Lakes

C.A.N.T.E.R. had a very Large well organized chapter that worked out of Fairmount Park, in S. Ill. most horses that were sound but just to slow and are 16hds and above sold for anywhere between $1,000 to $3,000 right out of the shedrow.. They have a paddock sale every year and many sell for under $500.00 .. these horses for the most part will have some issues although not all , you can get lucky . While there are some trainers who are willing to give you a horse not many are willing to give away sound, young horses. New Vocations gets many free horses donated to thier program, (MID OHIO) but they spend several months retraining before a horse is even offered for adoption, thier adoption fees range between free and $1500.00 The cheapest auctions that run TB's through for 300-500 are where the rescues are .. Now you may be able to operate in a partnership with CANTER .. as a foster retraining facility . I would contact CANTER and see if you can first work with them. http://www.canterusa.org/illinois/index.htm
    The N. ILL Chapter is still active, I don't know what has happened to the Southern Chapter.

Quote Originally Posted by PineHillFarm View Post
    The only track I know that would be close to me would be Fairway Park in S.IL.
    Fairmount Park?

What are you wanting to achieve? Are you wanting horses donated to you or are you willing to pay something for them? Will you take in unsound or ugly horses? What about sound ones but with ugly legs (pinfire marks or big ankles)? If you are willing to take the less desirable horses, you won't have any trouble finding horses to fill your stalls. But, you'll probably have some trouble moving them along to a new home from your place.

My advice is to figure out what you are really willing to do and then be willing to move quickly when you find one. Time is really of the essence with OTTBs - we just don't have time or the desire to wait around while someone does PPEs, etc. I just sold a horse we retired. It took a week and people have been talking about how I "finally" moved him. Seriously - time is a big consideration.

Also, be sensitive to the fact that the person selling/donating the horse may have lost a lot of money on it. When we claim a horse, we commit to spending a considerable sum of money on a horse we don't really know much about - no PPEs, no test rides, nothing. So, when that same horse we dropped $15k on based on faith and a good guess is retired and the OTTB person looking at him for $800 is wanting a full PPE, a two week long trial period, etc., etc. - it just is irritating. I mean, we want him to have a good home, but it still is annoying. So, just bear that in mind when dealing with owners and trainers. It will make things go more smoothly for you.

Oh, and it will also go more smoothly for you if you actually like racing. Seriously, it is very annoying to be trying to rehome and horse and be told how horrible racing is and how much better the horse will have it once it becomes a showhorse.

Your best bet for making connections is probably to just put up some fliers outside the racing office (which you can get to from the front side) and in area tack shops.

Can you tell I've become jaded trying to rehome a few recently?

Mike, unfortuantely CANTER of So. Illinois no longer exists. The retiring horse listings are now being handled by the Illinois HBPA. Fairmount Park desperately needs some help here.

Default Suggestion...

Im assuming you've done some homework and arent going into this blindly, with that my first suggestion would be to approach the program with the Fairmount HBPA and find out ways to help, then grow from there.

(The "rescue" term kills me too, especially when someone went to the track and spent 2000$ "rescuing")

Former Long Islander now in the middle of the Great Lakes

Quote Originally Posted by SmallHerd View Post
    Mike, unfortuantely CANTER of So. Illinois no longer exists. The retiring horse listings are now being handled by the Illinois HBPA. Fairmount Park desperately needs some help here.
    Maybe this person can help pick up the ball. I remember Keely heading up the chapter, I took a road trip ( in an ice storm) several years ago and bought a horse called Otto Whites Socks .. He is happy hunting horse now and doing a little showing in summer up here in Michigan.. A life time home of love.. Too bad the chapter no longer exsists .. There were several nice horses there..

Quote Originally Posted by Hunter's Rest View Post
    (Not only this person, but so many. I had a neighbor who says she 'rescued' a qh filly from an 'auction.' Horrors. The mare was sold legitimately at a county auction. Not a big deal. Just a sale. She did not 'rescue' the horse from anything.)
    Just a question.
    It is my understanding that the intention of the original poster, PineHill Farm, used "rescue" with the knowledge that many unwanteed horses from the track (an other places) end up going to an auction...and their chances of getting auctioned to a loving, patient owner are slim-to-none...the next step being slaughter...so, "rescued from slaughter" would be the idea. Many OTTB's at auctions are 1) unwinning 2) injured 3) screwed up in the head 4) just one horse too many........so, not many people (and certainly not the trainers who put them there in the first place) want to deal with that kind of horse and are passed over only to be bought by the killer buyers. yet it doesn't mean that the horse cannot be re-trained by someone with the funds, knowledge, time and patience to have a "new job". "Rescue" is only the first step to the "rehabilitation", "re-training" and "re-homing/adoption" process. My hats off to PineHill Farm for the desire to help even one horse from a potential uncertain end. No matter how one feels about the slaugher issue, "rescuing" a horse from that possibility and re-training it to be someone's new lovely and loving mount...it is only commendable.

To PineHill Farm, check out this very active forum:

http://forums.delphiforums.com/alexbrown/messages

You will want to look under "Horse Rescue Issues"...This site was started and is maintained by Alex Brown, exercise rider and equine advocate, who has worked at many tracks across the USA, and is currently working with trainer Steve Asmussen at Woodbine in Canada.

Also, if there is an organization in your area similar to http://www.bgcf.org/ or http://www.greatercincinnatifdn.org/ , you could obtain your 501(c)(3) under them and save yourself some time and paperwork until you are able to apply and get approved on your own.
    lindasp62
    Founder & Donor/Account Advisor
    Brennan Equine Welfare Fund
    http://www.brennanequinewelfarefund.com/index.html

I think the biggest issue with any of this is funds. The nonprofit status helps with getting donations, but it's really hard to get donations, especially these days.

This is not something to go into if you're already struggling- I don't know how things have been lately but many a rescuer/nonprofit-runner has ended up pulling from their own pockets on occasion, so you'd need to be realistic about if those resources are there.

I'm pretty sure the people at Days End Farm put out a good book/guide on starting a horse rescue, and the things to consider, and logistics, etc. It might be worth grabbing a copy of.

And perhaps operating as a "foster home" for an established rescue would be a good way to get your feet wet, so you can work out some of the kinks involved before you're in too deep. Sort of a test run kind of thing.
    "smile a lot can let us ride happy,it is good thing"

My CANTER blog.