The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default The I Love My Fellow COTHers Thread - Spread The Love!!!

Okay folks, ever since Rolex there seems to be a lot of tension and animosity on this board. It's understandable, considering all the recent tragedies and changes and controversies in our sport, but I think it's time to bring back the welcoming feeling that's been missing for so many months. After all, our sport is making changes for the better and is recovering from this whole mess, I think it's time we do the same.

So there's the purpose of this thread, now here's the game: First, name one thing that you love about this board - try to be original. Next, find one positive quality about the poster just previous to your post and write it out. It can be anything if you know the poster personally or if you just know them from the board, but try to keep the anonymity thing going for safety. If you don't know the poster, try hard to find something. If all else fails, you can say that they wanted to help spread the love by posting on this thread! Thirdly, think of someone that you do know personally from anywhere in the eventing world and name one positive quality of their horsemanship and what they have done to help promote our sport.

I'll start, but skip the second part since I'm first.

I love the variety of people on this board - everyone from the top, like Denny and Pwynn, down to most of us at the bottom just trying to glean their wisdom. I love that there are so many other professionals in healthcare, law, science, and everything else, and that they are also willing to share their knowledge. I love that everyone here has a voice.

I will name a former professor I had at a college on the east coast. I really wish I could name him, but I will not. He is a retired DVM who now heads the Equestrian Studies department at said college. He teaches his incredible horsemanship skills to the students. He is an eventer from way back when there was only Training and up. He is very passionate about the sport and helps to ensure its future by educating the students about its history and theories, and also with proper training for these horses and riders. He is a true hero of eventing.

Okay everyone, have at it!
    "The FEI is often in error, but never in doubt." - Jim Wofford

"You do not find the happy life. You make it." - Camilla Eyring Kimball

1) I love this board because of the variety of opinions and ideas (when we all play nice) and because people are so creative! All, it seems to keep the whole eventing community tight knit.

2) Vegas Sky is awesome for coming up with this idea! Also must be a really nice person to do this, and has some really good karma coming!

3) The board's own Fooler for being so unswervingly supportive of all the people in her barn no matter what, giving great advice when you are down and having the best stories and an anecdote for every occasion! And for being a TD, which is really important to the sport.
    "Real magic can never be made by offering someone else's liver. You must tear out your own, and not expect to get it back. The true witches know that." ~ Peter S. Beagle

I love coming on this board because it is an absolute wealth of information. I can usually find a post that makes me laugh out loud also.... for example the latest eventing prospect critique (deer jumping table).
    I do not know Lose That, but I can appreciate that they care enough about this to keep it going. I think it's a great idea to spread the love!!!!
    Finally, I will name my trainer as someone who has helped to promote the sport. Since retiring from the upper levels, she spends her time running her homebreds around Training level and teaching. She has helped to promote the sport by turning out fabulous kids who go out, compete safely, and always demonstrate good horsemanship and even better sportsmanship. She emphasizes that we are a family and are here to support each other through the ups and downs. She trains correctly and passes on her knowledge to her students.

1) I love this board because as posted before the variety on it but I love the variety for another reason, I can ask advice and get both the sugar coated advice that makes me want to keep going and also the straight shooting advice that may be worded a bit "harsh" but I need that jolt to put my butt into gear!
    2) I don't know Irish but looked through the former posts of theirs and have to say that I like how they leave positive comments for people about how "beautiful" or "wonderful" the OP's horse is...or any of the other things people just need to hear sometimes to give them reassurance.
    3) I watch so many girls out at the farm show exceptional horseman ship. One today said the most amazing thing....her horse has been hurt for some time (tendon injury) and she is busting her butt to be able to pay all the bills for everything this horse needs. Her parents asked her today why she bothers paying for these things when the horse might not ever be able to compete and continued to ask her why she didn't just send him to auction and get something that could compete. She impressed me so much when she said, "because I made a commitment to him and I will not let him down! I love him no matter what!"
    http://www.chronicleofmyhorse.com/profile/HECS04
    Proud Member of The Mighty Thoroughbred Clique!!!

I have enjoyed this board as a lurker for five years, absorbing and digesting information and energy in the eventing world, without particapating in dialoge or sharing of experience. I'm looking forward to enjoying this board as a more active member of the community, and hope that my joys and trials and observations can be a positive contribution.
    HECS04 has shown in posts a willingness to step back and let someone else help work her mare thru her cross country issues. She has been willing to share her thoughts in a positive and humble way.
    I spent the weekend training my youngster and myself under the sharp eye and clear thinking of a wonderful aware horsewoman who can see clearly thru to the core of issues that come up in these human/equine partnerships, and puts out as much energy and focus to someone trotting a two footer as she does for an advanced student. It is a rare gift to the sport. Impressive.

I love this board for the sense of family it provides. And like families, we have different view points but all love our horses. As the saying goes, there are many roads to Rome.

So glad Wolf Mare decided to speak up! I encourage her and other 'lurkers' to speak up and add to the conversations. I appreciate her thoughtful post.

I appreciate my trainer ThirdCharm for her generosity of spirit and knowledge. She rides the more challenging horses and offers her less challenging horses to her students. Lose That competes her OTTB stallion and I one of her home-breds, both started and/or trained in eventing by TC. Such an attitude is rare.
    "Never do anything that you have to explain twice to the paramedics."
    Courtesy my cousin Tim

1. The T3DE 2010 pact came out of the Eventing Forum!

2. I admire Fooler's loyalty to her trainer.

3. I do not know Sharon White personally, but when I read that she went to the Bromont CCI*** and won with King's Whisper, I was very impressed. She seems to be supporting the 'long format' and by doing so well, it shows what a good horseman she is.

I can always get an answer to any question I have. The variety of answers and comments is astounding.

It is my favorite way to escape from work, even for 10 minutes, to read what is going on in the eventing world.

I can appreciate the variety of experiences people posting here have had with horses and eventing.

This BB has provided me with tons of information, skills to weed through it, an outlet for ideas, fabulous entertainment, and heartfelt support when I needed it most.

mbarrett always posts thoughtfully and concisely. She saves her powder and uses it wisely. I loved the idea of posting rules changes in the port-o-potties at competitions!

There are waaaay to many people for me to name here (and most of them would kill me, anyway). Suffice it to say that I have made great friends and reconnected with old friends through here, and been intellectually challenged in the process. Through their commitment to eventing and horsecare, I have been inspired to really examine what I do and why I do it, and become a better horsewoman as a result.
    They don't call me frugal for nothing.
    Proud and achy member of the Eventing Grannies clique.

I love this board because regardless of the steady trolls who feed on negativity and create trainwrecks with their posts, the majority of the posters are willing to give their advice and educate us from what their experience has taught them. I surely have benefited from them.

It's not always easy to find the information you want through books, TV, internet. There are times where you need a more person to person approach for an answer to your questions, and you get that here.

In short, COTH forums can give you a wealth of information as it mostly consists of some really nice folks, and I hope it stays that way.

1. I can log on and ask questions any time of day or night and get lots of answers.
    2. I can panic about something I/my horse has done and get lots of reassuring anwers
    3. I don't need to thumb through all of my old horsie magazines- I can just go to the BB
    4. I can read troll posts, Expert Village posts, and stick horse art posts and take a mental mini vacation from (shhhh) work
    5. I can see that even people who have been in the horse business for years longer than I have still have problems and questions and are looking for answers
    6. However, I still can't explain to my husband why I have horse magazines, horse books, two horses outside the window, and I'm STILL reading about/looking at horses all of the time ---well, yes I can, but he still wouldn't understand-but he does love my mares!

I love this board because it gives me a place to step away from my real life and hang out with a bunch of people that are as passionate about horses as I am.

I can totally relate to 3dogfarm regarding the magazines, checking for possible tv spots and spending a bunch of extra time reading and chatting about horses on the BB....and the DH just shakes his head

One of my favorite posters is Cyriz's Mom because she tells it like it is. If you don't want the truth, or need something sugarcoated, don't ask her She is also a strong supporter of Thoroughbreds for sport and is trying to give back to the eventing community. And she is a great coach

I love this BB because it is a place to voice the pride for my sister and her accomplishments in eventing, and people here know who she is. They seem to hold as high a regard for her as I do, and they aren't related to her.

Imapepper gives thoughtful and intelligent discussion to this BB.

Thanks for starting this thread, Vegas Sky it's needed badly here!!!

Genie-- proud sister of Sara Mittleider, and Auntie to El Primero
    The only difference between a runaway and a fast gallop is nothing but a SMILE
    Most horses cross the Rainbow Bridge, but TEDDY JUMPED IT!!!
    Member of the COTH Enabler Clique

I love this BB because of all of the characters on it who are o willing to give advice, jingles, hugs, and mojitos. And this is the board that gave birth to Horsie Stick Art, so how could it not be amazing?

pinkdiamiondracing set up the COTH BB getogether at Rolex this year!

I would have to say that my trainer is a huge force in local eventing. She is an ICP certified instructor, event organizer, and excellent horsewoman.
    It's psychosomatic. You need a lobotomy. I'll get a saw.

1. I love the BB because I learn so many interesting things. There are so many ways to do things, so many different perspectives and so many different products for horses out there that it's nice to "tap into the collective" and get stretch your mind a little.

2. I don't know Little Valkyrie, but it appears that she's interested in the whole sport of eventing as she's proud that her trainer is involved in the ICP an organizer etc. I think that's great.

3. I would pick Nanci Lindroth as a great influence in the sport. She's been teaching legions of juniors and amateurs to pay attention to detail, become true horsemen and have fun. She's also always been very supportive. A great person in general.

I LOVE that this is a place where you can openly brag about your horse, kids, trainers, students, etc. I really like that people take the time to try to start positive threads.

Denny is probably one of my favorite posters because he can start a discussion about a topic without lighting a fire...

Chris Scarlett, she constantly gives back to the sport, she was the YR coach for multiple years, has coached for the Adult Rider stuff, teaches LOTS of clinics and at camps, and just in general does what she can to promote the sport as she sees it.

I will post a rather serious note, when I came here to talk about having breast cancer, I found lots of support and a few good friends that continue to email me. That was priceless.
    Also, you can post in the middle of the night with an emergency request for info and someone will try to help you.
    I went and read some of Sightunseen's posts . Some thoughtful posts about the current state of eventing and what are we going to do about it!
    Brian Ross. I just got back from coaching at PC Champs at the Virginia Horse Park. The courses were big, galloping tracks. Nothing triicky or trappy, no face pulling required. A nice change.

This board is Da Bomb for me because I feel like I live like a hermit 90% of the time because my father and my horses keep me so busy, but I can come here and feel like I am actually part of a larger world, so The Hermitage is easier to bear.

I appreciate Shea's Mom's involvement in the NC horse scene because I used to live in NC and still have contacts there. I admire anyone and everyone who cares enough to be involved.

Weeelllll, on the third point, I'm sure anyone can anticipate who I'll use: Karen and David. IMO, they, in large part, built the bridge between what was and what is -- in a positive way. When you think about all the infrastructure eventing requires, you realize how easily it could have evolved into a sport like polo: comparatively tiny and simply out of reach (in terms of significant competition) for the average rider or horse owner. Karen and David not only helped popularize the sport through their attitudes and committment to competition, but also their involvement in governance, instruction and PR helped bring the sport to that average person -- me included. I think the sport owes them (and others like them) a huge, huge debt. (And I know I do!)
    Sportponies Unlimited
    Athletic Thoroughbred crosses for the highly motivated, smaller rider.

i love this board because, as many have said, it is a HUGE source for information... but its also full of wonderful people who are willing to encourage a newbie like me (thank you T3DE pact peeps!)

Pwynn is just an outstanding individual who has given SO MUCH to the sport in so many different ways. She just rocks!

I think poster "Grady" is awesome for her commitment to making eventing accessible to newbies (again, me!) through the Intro to Eventing clinics she has helped organize. She is a super person, wonderful, engaging, encouraging and lots of fun, too!
    I have Higher Standards... do you?
    Apalachicola Native (Alfie), '02 TB Gelding,
    Wild Man of Borneo (Hank), '03 Redtick coonhound,
    Augustus McRae (Gus), '01 Bluetick coonhound

First...

I love COTH because I practically grew up here; I'm 21 now, and have been here since late 2000 (my original name was lost in one of the transitions - was Heinz 57). COTH was my second line of guidance, after my trainer. I have learned an incalculable amount on this board - everything from valuable rule changes to new approaches to training problems, down to the somewhat trivial fashion threads. I don't have a large horse community in real life, and what little I do have hasn't got a clue about anything up-to-date. I board at a barn that is a mish mash of crappy backyard riding and crappy know-it-all riding. COTH also gives me access to others in similar situations; I know I'm not the only one in the world that has a green bean, or a draft cross, or an OTTB, or even just that I'm not the only one in the world that can stand the VPL. And I can share and hear others' stories about their greenies, drafties, OTTB's, and visible panty lines.

I don't know much about missamandarose, but every newbie we can encourage to participate is one more smurf to be proud of. Newbies and old pros coming together is what supports our sport, and we need all the support we can get.

I have to name my old instructor as one of the greatest horsewomen I've run across. She may not be up to date on all the rules, fashion, or trendy breeds, but she puts an amazing seat on a rider and encourages EVERYONE to try whatever sport they may be interested in, regardless of the breed of horse they are on. She comes from the old days and will hold you accountable for every decision you make while on your horse (and is not shy about calling you out on it). She caught hold of me as a young child, and without her I would not be the rider, or the PERSON, I am. She teaches not only the HOW, but the WHY, in simple enough terms that even teenagers can understand, and doesn't give in to the 'I want it now' mentality of most people these days. You will move up when she thinks you're good and ready...and not a moment sooner. Sadly, she has lost a few clients that way. And when the backyard know-it-alls in the barn want to trash her behind her back... you can bet I step up.