The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default diamond hit

Hello,

Anyone with a Diamond Hit foal--would love to see it!

Can you tell me the best kind of mare to cross with him?

Thanks!
    *Better to have loved than to have never loved at all.*
    ALWAYS Blessings NEVER losses.

I believe Judy Yancey is a Diamond Hit fan. There are probably some Diamond Hit foals on her website.

He is quite the mover isn't he?

I am also interested in this, though I cannot seem to find a broker who is carrying his semen ..does anyone know why?? I have heard he crosses well with a very feminine, blood infused mare.

Anyone here used his frozen??
    www.svhanoverians.com

"Simple: Breeding,Training, Riding". Wolfram Wittig.

OH SO SEXY of a mover. ha ha ha. (my horsey language)

I'll check that out.

Judy Yancey has carried his semen in the past, but no more? I haven't looked lately, but I thought she still had it.

Based on a couple of mares I have seen, I would say you need a mare with a good topline and neck. Both of these mares were on the diminuitive side, one quite fine boned, too. Both of them had incredible movement.
    Mystic Owl Sporthorses
    www.mysticowlsporthorses.com

So, if I had a mare with a good top line, great hip, nice head, but she is med boned with an oldish style body (wide shoulder/barrel)---she is level, but looks down hill? Should I try this cross?

Love him, love him, love him. IMHO, he is the best of the Loretta sons, and the only one with a successful performance career past the Y/H classes. I have always been told he does best with a refined mare with a high degree of blood.

I worked around Donates (a Diamond Hit stallion here in TX). Very nice guy with an incredible brain. Great gaits too.

I am interested in trying Diamond Hit to one of my mares in the future. Right now I am trying to get her bred to Royal Hit (same dam as DH-Loretta but by Royal Dance by Rohdiamont http://www.bloomfieldfarm.com.au/Royal%20Hit.html)

I'ld consider DH probably the best of the three half siblings o/o loretta (SH, DH and RH even though the latter didn't really get many chances in breeding overhere [wrong colour/lesser known sire] and went to australia instead ... - however, the very few of his offspring i got to see overhere sure was promising to me!) with respect to realistic engine and hindleg plus ridability.

no surprise, given DH is by don schufro and that is a damline of exquisitness hard to find anywhere else.

if there was a "stigma" with respect to DH it is size:
    he does throw smaller and i wonder where that comes from since neither DSch does nor does loretta in crosses to the others (specially not in crosses to RD - the ones i've seen are huge but light...)
    at last years oldbg licensing i remember two DHs of exquisite quality but small in size.

same is true for a colt in our barn o/o a damline of rennommee, we worry he might stay too small.

personally, i do not measure quality of a horse in centimeters, but the market does for wierd reasosn.

however, "our" mare will go to scolari next year and one of the reasons she does is size...

Great to hear all of this. I actually just bought a dose from a lady near me but would like to find another. I am thinking of using it on my Rosentau mare. Rosentau is out of a half TB and my mare is Arkansas (Absatz)/Akzent II/Perser xx and you can DEFINATELY see the blood in this mare. I think she would suit him well by the sounds of it HOWEVER, she is only 16.1 hh. Hmmmm...
    Fannie Mae, when you say small are you talking UNDER 16 hh??
    www.svhanoverians.com

"Simple: Breeding,Training, Riding". Wolfram Wittig.

My mare is Fiener Stern/First Class/Zeus---blood there too. She is 16.2+ hands, decent bone----good cross?

Make sure you are not breeding to DH to get a longer front leg since that probably won't happen. He does need a more blood-infused mare and has crossed really well also on jumper lines. I have not seen any DH offspring under 16 hands personally, although a number in the 16.1-16.2 hand mature size, so under 16 hands as two year olds, and for the German licensing, that is frequently a bit small.

Damon Hill is for example one that many people thought was too small when he was licensed for the same reason, but he has ended up a normal size.

I like DH a lot, and I've heard it's hard to get his semen now. I have triplets coming next spring. Did E.T. and my wonderful mare had three follicles...the three recipient mares arrive from Royal Vista/Ft. Collins tomorrow! Only 9 1/2 months to wait to see how the cross turns out. Mare is a Hanoverian mare, started as a jumper in Germany, then trained to Grand Prix. About 1/2 TB, tall, beautiful head and neck (Spitzweg x Welsh City XX). I'm very, very excited about this cross. Have already had people ask if I'll sell them one of the foals, but not making any commitments now. I'd rather get them under saddle and decide which one to keep because I want to make sure I get one for riding! The mare is really special, so I'm excited to be able to have a part of her (or three parts of her!) for my future.
    Last edited by Touchstone Farm; Aug. 10, 2008 at 10:03 PM.
    "Dreams are the touchstone of our characters." Henry David Thoreau
    Touchstone Farm
    www.bytouchstonefarm.com