The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 567

You could call him Grindylow... I hear those Harry Potter-themed names are quite en vogue.

Don't you feel sorry for racetrack announcers - they have to know how to pronounce them and then say them reallyreallyreally fast.

Southern California - on a freeway someplace

Quote Originally Posted by Foxtrot's View Post
    Don't you feel sorry for racetrack announcers - they have to know how to pronounce them and then say them reallyreallyreally fast.
    When namesthatrunalltogether were popular on the track there was a horse called Sullivanitis (AKA Sullivan it is). Track announcer pronounced it sull-uh-vin-ite-us; in other words, as if it were an irritation involving the "sullivan."
    The Evil Chem Prof

IronStirrups Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Peggy View Post
    When namesthatrunalltogether were popular on the track there was a horse called Sullivanitis (AKA Sullivan it is). Track announcer pronounced it sull-uh-vin-ite-us; in other words, as if it were an irritation involving the "sullivan."
    I'm not going to lie; I probably would have made that mistake, too. I would have shrugged that thought, "Well, maybe Sullivan is very irritating." At least as a dressage announcer I have time in between tests to go out to the warm-up and ask the trainer for the correct pronunciation when I am not sure, or I radio to the show secretary.

Quote Originally Posted by IronStirrups View Post
    I'm not going to lie; I probably would have made that mistake, too.
    I would have too. IMHO, having it pronounced that way was more of a joke on the person who named the poor horse.
    The Evil Chem Prof

When I married my husband, I seriously considered keeping my maiden name, since his is Schwertfeger (pronounced Shh--wert--fay--grr). However, since I'm a mean and hateful 8th grade teacher (just kidding, I'm neither mean nor hateful), I decided to switch to his name in an effort to horrify my students on the first day of school. I can't tell you how many students almost burst into tears when they get their schedules and learn that they have "that teacher with the impossible name."

Of course, when I pronounce my name for others, they inevitably reply with..."Oh, like in Terminator, Schwarzennager, right?" Where people get the Z and the N if beyond me.

My favorite Schwertfeger story, however, is the day that I was observing a fellow 7th grade teacher's classroom. When I came in, the students started buzzing about who I was, when I overheard a student on the other side of the room say, "Oh, she's an 8th grade teacher. My sister has her. I think her name is Irish." Irish. How bout that?
    Random horse pics http://www.flickr.com/photos/glfprncs/
    Talk to me about fitness or nutrition (I'm an A.C.E. Certified Personal Trainer)!
    My blog! http://personalsweatequity.blogspot.com/

Quote Originally Posted by Ophelia123 View Post
    I knew a kid when I was a kid.....worst name in the world -

Gaylord Guy.......SWEAR to god...how horrible is that...cruel parents...easy to pronounce I know...but seriously??

did know of another kid whose name was Shanka Mukapotiae.....thats a tricky one.
    There was a girl in my graduating class named Gaynelle Pigg. And a boy in my sister's class named Robin Hood. Then there is the former (many years ago) governor of Texas, Jim Hogg who had a daughter named Ima. Seriously.

Couldn't tell you if they ever rode in horse shows though.

Quote Originally Posted by dcm View Post
    There was a girl in my graduating class named Gaynelle Pigg. And a boy in my sister's class named Robin Hood. Then there is the former (many years ago) governor of Texas, Jim Hogg who had a daughter named Ima. Seriously.

Couldn't tell you if they ever rode in horse shows though.
    My mom went to school with a girl named Susie Shimmershitz .

Quote Originally Posted by amastrike View Post
    Seriously?!?!? You're sure she's not making that up?

I just wanted to say I've read through this whole thread literally laughing out loud.

Quote Originally Posted by amastrike View Post
    During my 4 years in high school, we had a:

Faith Good
    Ginger Snapp
    and Candie Meyers married Keith Barr just after graduation=Candie Barr
    Random horse pics http://www.flickr.com/photos/glfprncs/
    Talk to me about fitness or nutrition (I'm an A.C.E. Certified Personal Trainer)!
    My blog! http://personalsweatequity.blogspot.com/

Quote Originally Posted by billiebob View Post
    Seriously?!?!? You're sure she's not making that up?
    My mom doesn't make stuff like that up. And when she does make stuff up, it's obvious, because she starts laughing and snorting . Hopefully that girl got married young and picked up a more normal last name, lol.

Default bad names, continued

A colleague had a student w/ the first name Fuk and last name Yu. Colleague tried pronouncing the first name with a long "u" but that wasn't right. The student corrected him with the correct pronunciation of first and last names together. He was referred to as "Mr. Yu" for the rest of the semester.

My dad claims to have known a Harold Dick who used the nickname version of his first name.
    The Evil Chem Prof

Quote Originally Posted by Wanderluster View Post
    It's always the well intentioned announcer getting the privilege to announce "sixth place Jack A Lot ridden by Juana Shagg "
    Trying to straighten out names doesn't help much either. I know someone who wrote (shoe) next to her entry after her name Schuh was announced skew.. shoe ended up show. What good is hooked on phonics if you cannot pronounce shoe ?
    Lol... I had a medal horse named after a video arcade game - "Stratovox" you can't believe what announcers did to butcher THAT name..the PG-est one was Strattle Box

Oh man throughout school there were some interesting ones... I guess the best was when i was a TA for a Freshman class and this kids name was

Richard Harder...

I Kid you not..

Quote Originally Posted by lcw579 View Post
    Acheron would be Ak uh ron?
    Nope, but at least you fall into the reasonable category of ways we figured the name would occasionally be mispronounced.....
    ...for there are wings on these hooves, the speed and power of foam-capped waves...
    *~v~*~v~*~v~*~v~*~v~*~v~*~v~*
    Proud member of the artists clique

I *did* have a jr. high teacher named Richard (Dick) Bender. Yeah...