The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by glfprncs View Post
    Friend of mine had a lovely chestnut TB mare that her mother thought would make a lovely "French Pique" (she pronounced it French Pick). Sadly, that poor child spent an entire summer with the same announcer calling her horse French PIG.

Try IGHTHM MOTE. Saw that one a long time ago. Named after a small castle.

I move that all horses with ridiculously spelled names are henceforth announced as "Bob" when entering the ring.
    People either love me or they hate me. Or they think I'm ok.

Quote Originally Posted by ybiaw View Post
    I move that all horses with ridiculously spelled names are henceforth announced as "Bob" when entering the ring.

Or "Bobette".... for the mares.

Quote Originally Posted by ybiaw View Post
    You know, I've had announcers mess up my horses name before. ARIZONA. Like the STATE. I think we should just stick with numbers. Thats what I do when I judge open shows!

So I see no one bit on pronouncing Leighseach. I, when I called about buying her, asked about her "lay-sack" pony.

Her response, was "Oh, you mean LUCY". Ok, I admit, I would not ever have guessed that you pronounce Leighseach as Lucy. I am pretty sure it is Gaelic.
    Beth Davidson
    Black Dog Farm Connemaras & Sport Horses
    http://blackdogconnemara.com
    visit my blog: http://ponyeventer.blogspot.com

Default Saturday

There was one poor woman whose name I misprounced twice on Saturday. Ironically, I could tell how to pronounce it from looking at it but, the first time my eyes had been bothering me so I took off my glasses. Mistake! The second time, I started to pronounce it as I did the first time and then caught myself in the middle. I think I got it right the third time. Good thing she kept coming back for more! So, if you were at the Meadow Lake show in Kentucky on Saturday and I messed up your name, please accept my apology.
    Whatever you can do, or dream you can, begin it. Boldness has genius, power, and magic in it. Goethe

I have one of the most common names in the world. However it has 2 spellings. I spell my version of Sarah with an H. It is a silent H! How hard is that?

Apparently it's VERY difficult for people in all facets of my life. I get SHara a lot. How in the heck does the H at the end make my name Shara? Or Sharon?

At shows I am tempted to just leave off the H altogether. I mean, if you can't pronounce Sara, you should really get an MRI or something.

Horseless in NH Guest

I once showed an appendix qh named "Evil Zipper". Poor QH's!

I went to school with a girl named Pneuquix. Guesses as to pronunciation?

Hint: It's a very common name with a couple of "normal" spelling variants.
    My ears hear a symphony of two mules, trains, and rain. The best is always yet to come, that's what they explained to me. —Bob Dylan

Fenway Bartholomule ♥ Arrietty G. Teaspoon Brays Of Our Lives

Quote Originally Posted by didgery View Post

Nicky? Or Nix?

Some parents just shouldn't have children.

At first I thought it could have been monique, but then I realized I had created an imaginary extra "n." Okay, I give up.

Default "Bob"

Well, our stallions name is Nuevo de Goya, his barn name is Gavrusha, upon hearing this, our new neighbors said to their young kids "this is Mr. Ed"

Our other neighbor came over to meet the new (adopted) Great Dane - Vasisualiy Lohankin - she thought about it for a moment, then said "how about Bob?"
    Since she takes care of the farm when we are gone, that dog is Bob to her
    And our stallion is still Mr. Ed to the kids next door. I don't think my critters mind, but I sure enjoy being creative with their names.

Yikes. Nicky's my guess, too.

I really like Piaceri as a horse name, but I'd never use it just for anouncers' sakes. A friend of mine wanted to rename his horse "Your Mom" just to hear "and here comes mr. X riding Your Mom" at a horse show. I'm kind of kicking myself for talking him out of it.

I have an Irish Gaelic first name, and have been the subject of announcer butchery up and down the East Coast. Gerry Briggs used to jokingly announce me as "Shaboom MaGoon." But it was from Gerry that I learned a great trick. Before he announced results, he'd take a moment to run down the horses' and riders' names out loud. Then he would click on the microphone and announce. If he got stumped again, he'd click off, sound it out, click back on and go. I use that technique now when I announce.

My previous post ("Entry number 283, please come to the announcer's stand") is only partly in jest. When I get a class list, I look at the names, and if there's one I can't pronounce, I call the rider or a representative over and ask. Then I write it phonetically on my paper.

Last year, I had a little girl with the last name of Strlczck. I asked her how it was pronounced, and when she came back this year, I remembered that it was "Strell-Chick." Her mother was so impressed, she came up to me and asked if I had a Polish ancestry. It was just so unusual that I remembered it.

On the other extreme, I had a horse on the list with the name Splendacious. So I announced it as Splendacious. As the kid is jumping around, she screams at me, "It's Splenda-licious!!!" Well, okay, but that's not what it says on my list. I went back and looked at the entry blank (written in script) which the secretary had to decipher, and she did the best she could. But sometimes announcers are at the (very public) tail end
    of a game of Operator. If it's perfectly clear on the entry blank, and the secretary doesn't make a typo while entering stacks of forms under post-entry pressure, then there's a decent chance I'll pronounce it correctly. If anything falls asunder along that line, I'm toast.
    Life would be infinitely better if pinatas suddenly appeared throughout the day.

my guess....BOB....
    ** I LOVE PUIKA & SHELLA FAN CLUB*** member
    Quote Originally Posted by 2DogsFarm View Post
    Good job R&G!
    You may now add Horsesaver Extraordinaire to your resume

Quote Originally Posted by Reds-n-Greys View Post
    my guess....BOB....
    Great guess!!

"Nicky" is right. Well done, all . . .
    My ears hear a symphony of two mules, trains, and rain. The best is always yet to come, that's what they explained to me. —Bob Dylan

Fenway Bartholomule ♥ Arrietty G. Teaspoon Brays Of Our Lives

I have to admit when I first saw the "pn" name I thought it was pneumonia and was thinking "WHY would someone name their child that?!?!?!"

Quote Originally Posted by billiebob View Post
    I have to admit when I first saw the "pn" name I thought it was pneumonia and was thinking "WHY would someone name their child that?!?!?!"
    I would have said "pheonix"

Quote Originally Posted by pcwertb View Post
    Any guesses on Leighseach?
    And second place goes to number 235.

Sorry, I wouldn't even try that without asking as you go in or having the gate person do it.

Honestly LUCY???? Probably one reason why Gaelic largely died out.
    When opportunity knocks it's wearing overalls and looks like work.

The horse world. Two people. Three opinions.