The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by amastrike View Post
    I ride a mare called Irish, and I'd like to show her as "Tir na nOg" (it's Gaelic). How would you pronounce that? How many people actually KNOW the correct pronunciation? I may go with the second choice if it's too unlikely that the first name can be pronounced. (Second being "Queen B." Guess what the "B" stands for .)
    Keep the name Irish, I like it. A friend of mine had a pony mare with that name about 100 years ago and she was fabulous!

For Pete's sake can these people say HOOKED ON PHONICS!!!!!

No kidding, had a patient once whose name was spelled ....

SHITHEAD

By the way, that is pronounced ....

SHY- THEAD (RHYMES WITH HEAD ONLY WITH TH).

Good thing someone grabbed me prior to the yelling of "Parents of Sh**head?"
    as the waiting room door was slung open!

My advice to people that want to use weird spellings for names - you better start winning a lot since that is the only way announcers will get the names right even 1/10 of the time

Aw, darn, findeight. I feel like Tir na nOg isn't the *least* uncommon phrase in the world, but I suppose it isn't worth using it and having it butchered. I had to laugh at Queen B, because my favorite nickname for her is "Queen B*tch." She's the reason I have a bumper sticker that says "Hell Hath No Fury Like a Chestnut Thoroughbred Mare!"

Quote Originally Posted by lcw579 View Post
    Keep the name Irish, I like it. A friend of mine had a pony mare with that name about 100 years ago and she was fabulous!
    But Irish is so BORING! She has a registered name, but I don't much like it, and people may recognize her with the name and wonder why I'm showing her at the level I plan to.

But Irish is so BORING! She has a registered name, but I don't much like it, and people may recognize her with the name and wonder why I'm showing her at the level I plan to.
    Irish the pony was anything BUT boring so I don't think it is a boring name. Funny how names have a different associations for people, huh?

I do like Tir na nOg, too. I have some friends who can speak Gaelic though so I might not be the best judge and Findeight is right it will get butchered.

What is her registered name? Even though you don't like it, could it be tweaked into something better?

Keep the Tir na nOg but rework the spelling so it looks like you want it to sound.

And for dcm and Piaceri? If you want that sk sound instead of just the c, respell it on your USEF recording form. Just leaving it a c invites numerous pronunciation options. Not that many know Italian pronuciation guidelines, moi included.

You can still show anything under a registered name at a breed show and have another Open show name...actually that started because the registered names are a little wierd. Something like Wzyrkosky or Hesa Flashy Zipper Skipper are easily appreciated in the breed world but laughable at the Opens.
    When opportunity knocks it's wearing overalls and looks like work.

The horse world. Two people. Three opinions.

I ride a mare called Irish, and I'd like to show her as "Tir na nOg" (it's Gaelic). How would you pronounce that? How many people actually KNOW the correct pronunciation? I may go with the second choice if it's too unlikely that the first name can be pronounced. (Second being "Queen B." Guess what the "B" stands for .)
    My little brother used to watch a show called "The Mystic Knights of Tir Na Nog"

Based on that, I would say Teer Nah Noe-g (I'm not 100% sure that's clear, but that's supposed to convey a long "o" sound, as in "no" with a soft-ish g on the end)
    Founder, Higher Standards Leather Care Addicts Anonymous
    Capitalization is the difference between helping your Uncle Jack off a horse and helping your uncle jack off a horse.

Quote Originally Posted by dcm View Post

Pee-ah-scary - She's been that on occaision! I might have to make a change just for the dressage show.

It's actually pronounced pee-AH-cherry. At least that is how the breeder said it. I have no clue.
    Actully - it's pee-ya-che-ray - longer through the end then cherry.

You're in for it either way, though.

Quote Originally Posted by Dixon View Post
    That's too funny. The least people with creative spellings can do is add a parenthetical pronounciation tip to help the announcer.
    We've tried this with the name Orion. Pretty simple name, no? I can't tell you how many times it is pronounced Or-eee-on instead of O-rion. We've entered him as "Orion (Constellation)" and they announce "Next up, Rugbug riding Orion Constellation. The one that seems to work is just entering him as O'Ryan (that usually at least gets the right pronunciation although screws points up ). I'm considering showing him as Constellation. He deserves a show name and he's already been called this plenty.
    Keith: "Now...let's do something normal fathers and daughters do."
    Veronica: "Buy me a pony?"

At least you didn't get Onion.

I've been just about everything over the years, and my last name isn't that hard. A dear friend, whose last name is Blank (not complicated) is constantly getting "... and we have no last name for this competitor."

Quote Originally Posted by Trixie View Post
    At least you didn't get Onion.
    Heheee...it hasn't happened yet. But I've only shown him about 4 times.

A dear friend, whose last name is Blank (not complicated) is constantly getting "... and we have no last name for this competitor."
    She shouldn't Blankity-Blank Blank and see what announcers do.

My last name is a season with an s at the end...the plural. Even it has had some creative pronunciations. .
    Keith: "Now...let's do something normal fathers and daughters do."
    Veronica: "Buy me a pony?"

There is a farm in Okeechobee, Fl that breeds connemara ponies and the name of the farm is Tir na nOg. The ponies have the prefix "Shammer".

I have a pony bred by Loughin (pronounced Loch-in) Farm in Ohio. I bought the mare Loughin's Leighseach. It is never pronounced correctly. Her brother is Loughin's O'Leary (much easier to say.)

Any guesses on Leighseach?
    Last edited by pcwertb; Jul. 30, 2008 at 11:28 AM. Reason: spelling
    Beth Davidson
    Black Dog Farm Connemaras & Sport Horses
    http://blackdogconnemara.com
    visit my blog: http://ponyeventer.blogspot.com

I accidentally gave my mare a very hard to pronounce show name. I'm from California, and her name is Spanish. Most Californians at least kind of recognize Spanish and know it is just phonetic. What I didn't take into consideration is that I now live in New England and no one here speaks or even recognizes Spanish. And they are perfectly willing for words like "Worcester" to be said "wooster", so they stumble all the way through both syllables of the first word and all three syllables of the second word.

My advice is for the announcers not to stumble over the name. It is like flogging a puppy. Just decide on a pronunciation and go with it. Stick to it. Say it with confidence. Doesn't even have to be the same way you said it last time, just say what you see and move on.

My old guy was called London Fog. Original I know, but he came with it and we left it.
    However one announcer called him London Frog. After that it seemed to stick with him whereever we went. He hasn't been showing for years now and I still occassionaly have people ask how Frog is.
    Thankfully Frog didn't catch on at the barn.

At one show I announced at I had 2 "Sierra's" So, hmmmm, is it like the desert or Sara? I, trying to be all PC figured it would be Sara. Seems easy right............nope! One was Sara and one was Sierra (like the desert!) Folks, make up your mind........please from a confused announcer! And, please don't get me started on some of the Russian last names I have to say (luckily the parent's and kids get a kick out of my misprounounciation & giggle the whole way through the show!)
    Go Ahead: This is a dare, not permission. Don't Do It!

We decided to change the show name of my mare when we bought her. The kids helped to pick a name. It had to be in French (for them), start with an R (her sire), use her current name somehow (Willow), and capture her spirit (queen of all she surveys). We came up with "Reine Saule" which means Queen Willow - perfect! We even had the pronounciation down - Rain Soul (close enough I figured).

Well, after a few schooling shows, I felt so badly for the announcers that we changed it back to just plain Willow. The funniest one though was when the announcer got the horse's name right, they got my (very boring) name wrong. lol.

It's a tough job being an announcer. Maybe the Mom in the OP would benefit from taking a crack at it herself.

Default for me

I announced a hunter/jumper schooling show on Saturday and would have been fine with Tir na nOg. But then, I own Into the West (the movie set in Ireland). When I picked my first homebreds name, I had to ask how to pronounce it myself but I like both the correct pronunciation and the mispronunciation so I'm ok with either way. Her name is Sindarin.
    Last edited by Holly Jeanne; Jul. 30, 2008 at 12:53 PM.
    Whatever you can do, or dream you can, begin it. Boldness has genius, power, and magic in it. Goethe

Actully - it's pee-ya-che-ray - longer through the end then cherry.

You're in for it either way, though.
    Oh, thank you. That sounds fancier.

Yea, we know it. Our barn owner insists on calling her pee-ah-sha-REE.

Friend of mine had a lovely chestnut TB mare that her mother thought would make a lovely "French Pique" (she pronounced it French Pick). Sadly, that poor child spent an entire summer with the same announcer calling her horse French PIG.
    Random horse pics http://www.flickr.com/photos/glfprncs/
    Talk to me about fitness or nutrition (I'm an A.C.E. Certified Personal Trainer)!
    My blog! http://personalsweatequity.blogspot.com/

Appendix owner here... so I know all about the QH names.

Thankfully, my horse's show name is easy: Bachelor of Arts (like the degree?). He's an Artful Move baby so had to have the Art in there. I liked it so I kept it. Never had an issue so far. His barn name is what people chuckle at: Stitch.

Now my name.... is VERY easy. I don't mind sharing on here: Linda Mitchell. Can't mess that up, correct? Well, the Linda part hasn't been an issue... but my last name? How about Michelle??? Like someone's first name. Geez.... I thought Mitchell was kinda like Smith and Jones. Very popular. Like 10 pages in the phone book popular. On occasion, when people spell it, they want to drop one of the last "l"s.

So even if you have easy names (horse and rider), someone is still going to mess it up.